Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HP steel tanks, which one to get?

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Splitlip View Post
    How big are you Paint?
    I can't see a 17 year old needing more than a 100 for adequate gas. They are very light and compact. The 119's and 130's are very heavy.
    My 17 year old buddy dives 65's.
    My newly certed 14 year old buddy, who is on the JV soccer team, ran through 2500 psi in a AL50 in the same time I used 2100 lbs in an HP100.

So you can see why I need to get a HP119 when he uses an AL80.

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member
    Yup. I used to use pumped up LP 98's that gave me about 120 CF. The 17 year old in his 65 would run around the bottom like my dog after a bath. I was still the one to thumb the dive.

Well when I was a teenager I could make a 72 last.
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

TadPole
    Thanks for the help.

im 5'7"
    and all the diving i do is boat or from shore at lake mead, so we set up literally at the water, and we drive right up too, so no walking 3 blocks like in cali.

the 120s are way too tall, so i would rather deal with the 119. and the weight isnt a big deal as i dive dry pretty much year round, and i get free fills, so im just wondering if there would be an advantage to a 100 or 119 over a 130 other then weight and size. would they trim out better or is the difference minimal?

i just wanted to make sure im not overlooking anything and that i have all the bases covered before i make the investment of 2 steel tanks.

Grouper
    I think the shorter steel tanks trim out better, at least for me. My feet tend to sink, even when I have my knees bent so that my calves are vertical. So anything I can do to get the center of gravity to move closer to my head is a plus. Even in a HP100 worn up as high up as practical, I need a couple of lbs of weight on the upper tank strap to trim out.

Shark Founding Member
    For me personally I did not feel much difference between the 130 and 120 (when they were singles). I have not dove 100's or 119's so I cannot comment specifically on them versus the 130 but I would guess that there would not be much of a difference. I am just saying this from MY point of view, I would buy the 130. But that is just me, Everyone has their own reasons why they like what the like and buy what they buy. Good luck on your quest...

Phil
    For current Midwest Diving Conditions go to www.midwestmuckdiving.com. They cannot be current unless you help. Please post any updates that you may have for whatever quarry or lake you just came out of...

TadPole
    I'm only 5'6" and I could not be happier with my X8-130's (XS/Worthingon 130). The weight penalty is easily offset by the weight I can remove from my harness and the air lasts for days (well, a lot longer at least).

As far as the extra 3/4" girth... Hardly noticeable!

Moderator Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    I'm 6' 6" and I've dove with a LP112, LP108 and HP130. The LP112, after several dives, I was able to get almost perfectly trimmed. The LP108, after two or three dives, I was somewhat trimmed but still feet heavy. The HP130, after two or three dives had me in almost perfect trim.

So which should I chose? I'm going to go with the HP130. It seemed easier to trim out with. I'm sure I could adjust here and there but, most of my LDS's won't over fill LP tanks so, I can actually get more out of the HP130 tanks.

Food for thought, YMMV.

Michael
    Please PM me if you need any help.

TadPole
    I went with the Worthington 130 and picked it up at AWBA yesterday. I also traded in my old BC for a bp/w so I took the whole thing out in the pool last night for a test run. It sunk me with no additional weight. I still have to dial in the trim. I wanted to run it out and do a surface weight check at 500psi and I'll have to admit that that sucker holds a LOT of air. Took longer than I thought it would to empty it. Did give me plenty of time to play with the new gear. I'm glad I went with the 130. Came with the convertible Pro Valve too so that's nice.

Moderator Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doccdave View Post
    I went with the Worthington 130 and picked it up at AWBA yesterday. I also traded in my old BC for a bp/w so I took the whole thing out in the pool last night for a test run. It sunk me with no additional weight. I still have to dial in the trim. I wanted to run it out and do a surface weight check at 500psi and I'll have to admit that that sucker holds a LOT of air. Took longer than I thought it would to empty it. Did give me plenty of time to play with the new gear. I'm glad I went with the 130. Came with the convertible Pro Valve too so that's nice.
    Missed you by that much!! A few of us from http://www.msscuba.com and the other "scuba board" met up for a weekend of diving at ABWA. I dove my dive buddies HP130 and that's what I'm getting soon.

Michael
    Please PM me if you need any help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information