Thread: Dove Ita Today

Hybrid View

Grouper
    Images

Dove Ita Today

Went and Dove Ita today on the west side of the Izu Peninsula. The thermocline was crazy! First dive was down to 115ft and there was 20+ degree difference between the surface water (80F) and 115ft (60F). The shore entry was super rocky and some big swells decided to come in just as we were making are way out. Vis wasn't that great, but we saw a baby sting ray and some huge schools of fish in the shallower depths. The second dive shore entry was a little easier as the water had calmed a bit. We went to 80ft. It was the same area as the first dive, so not much more to report. The dive site was pretty crowded because it is the end of the Japanese summer holiday. It was about a 4-5 hour drive, $50 in tolls, $50 in gas, and $50 for a two tank dive. All in all it was a pretty good day. Good friends, and as always the Japanese staff at the dive spot were awesome. Oh and there was a great view of Mt. Fuji from across the bay.

Last edited by hooligan; 08-16-2008 at 21:07. Reason: To add picture

Grouper
    the scenery sure looked pretty spectacular to me! what's there to do topside?

Grouper
    Images
    There's not much other than diving at Ita... It's a small little town. There is some great sight seeing to be had though. There is a bigger city about an hour and a half that has some shopping and such (the name escapes me at the moment.) There is another dive site that's not too far called Osezaki. I haven't dived there yet, but from what I understand it's more of a beginner area. Most of the OW classes from Tokyo go down there for the cert dives.

Grouper
    the picture that you uploaded there sure looked picturesque, a perfect quiet little town for some time out from the city..

Grouper
    Images
    I've been surprised by the number of sleepy little towns here. Every time I go exploring on my motorcycle, I always end up in some tiny mountain town with a little shrine or something. It's great to get away from the Tokyo metropolis.

Grouper
    yup that's true, the last time i was in tokyo, not that it's not interesting and all, just that after a while it get's a little overwhelming for me, and to head off to these little town feels great...

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
    .... It was about a 4-5 hour drive, $50 in tolls, $50 in gas, and $50 for a two tank dive....
    We dived there a couple of times. They used to charge, parking plus 300 yen per diver in the summer. I had heard the price had gone up. The last time we were there (it's been a while) was last February. We paid (if I remember correctly) 750 yen for parking. We paid a similar amount in tolls and gas as I recall coming from Yokosuka, split 3 ways. We made two dives also, but we brought our own tanks and dived on our own.

We went to Osezaki in October. 1000 yen to park was all we paid there and we paid 500 yen to rent a cart.

We're working on getting an account setup at Izu Oceanic Park so that we don't have to pay the outrageous prices there. 12,000 yen for two shore dives is nuts, but maybe I've been spoiled by $25 dollar boat dives in the Philippines including tanks, weights, and a guide

I'll attach a few shots from our trips to Ita. You're right, it is a really nice dive
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bill
    Just killing time during my surface interval ;-)
    "If it's too cold for a 3mm, it's cold enough for a drysuit!"

TadPole
    Kind of off the subject, but i was hoping to get in touch with you to find out more on the diving in Japan. Im currently stationed at Yokota AB, just got here from Okinawa where the diving was beautiful and cheap. Ive tried getting with the Yokosuka and Yokota dive clubs but both dont seem to be very active at all. Im to the point where i was going to venture out on my own to get in the water. Do you have any info on how to get to the good dive spots out here? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thread Information