Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Table Rock Sunken Bridge

Grouper

Table Rock Sunken Bridge

I dove the bridge last year before the floods. It was deep, cold, decent viz, interesting dive, solo of course. It is a fairly large structure.

Anyone here dove the Kimberling City Bridge? Pictures, GPS, information, please post it here for the day the lake finally returns to normal.

I manuvered my boat over the bridge after locating what appeared to be a continuous section and then I handed the helm to my wife and I went over the side and did a free drop. The bottom is around 190 to 200 feet at normal pool. So if you miss the bridge, it is a long drop.

Has anyone done a shore dive on this structure?

N

Shark Founding Member

Kimberling City Bridge

N, I have not persl. dove the Kimberling City Bridge site, but in 10/07 3 divers hit it via boat. They dropped a hook and made the dive via the down line. At the time the road bed was in 140ffw with low vis of a few feet and water temp around 48f.,,,,they did some exploration to around 170ffw....the depth to the top of the bridge girders is 108ffw as reported. Course winter is the best time to take advantage of possible clearer conditions and mid week like they sugg. for min. boat traffic.
    Last edited by texdiveguy; 08-16-2008 at 13:08.
    PADI Divemaster, TDI Advanced Trimix

Grouper
    Those are the depths I encountered, I hit 170 plus feet following a pylon down from the roaddbed. It is a deep dive. I had about 30 foot viz or less and it was 48 degrees. Yep. Cold and dark.

I just criss crossed until I saw the road bed solid on my sonar and then dropped in over it and plummeted downward as fast as possible so as not to miss it by drifting off. I cam back up the same way (but slower) and did my deco hangs in the open water below my sausage while my wife stayed by the sauasge above in the Whaler.

It is actually a cool dive but I think I will defer again until I get a drysuit--or not. I had enough viz that as I swam along the roadbed I could see the bridge structure above me--barely--in the green twilight.
    N

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    haven't dove it yet, but it one of my "to do" dives. I want to get to at least normoxic trimix before I do it though. If I'm going that deep, I want to be able to stay for a few minutes, but not have the huge deco load as from air.

A group from TDS dove it last year. They also went to the river bed to recover a piece of equipment lost on a previous dive.

Shark Founding Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by fire diver View Post
    haven't dove it yet, but it one of my "to do" dives. I want to get to at least normoxic trimix before I do it though. If I'm going that deep, I want to be able to stay for a few minutes, but not have the huge deco load as from air.

A group from TDS dove it last year. They also went to the river bed to recover a piece of equipment lost on a previous dive.
    I was schd. in that October crew, but had to change plans prior to our dive date....would love to hit the site but only with trimix divers.

Shark Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemrod View Post
    Those are the depths I encountered, I hit 170 plus feet following a pylon down from the roaddbed. It is a deep dive. I had about 30 foot viz or less and it was 48 degrees. Yep. Cold and dark.

I just criss crossed until I saw the road bed solid on my sonar and then dropped in over it and plummeted downward as fast as possible so as not to miss it by drifting off. I cam back up the same way (but slower) and did my deco hangs in the open water below my sausage while my wife stayed by the sauasge above in the Whaler.

It is actually a cool dive but I think I will defer again until I get a drysuit--or not. I had enough viz that as I swam along the roadbed I could see the bridge structure above me--barely--in the green twilight.
    N
    A group of us will be diving Broken Bow Ok. tomm.,,,,at around 130ffw it's about 48f now.

Barracuda
    Joplin, MO-10 Miles from Blue Water Lake (AKA ORONOGO)

FYI-Trimix actually INCREASES your deco time. Trimix is good for narcosis reduction, not decreasing deco.

He is more soluble than nitrogen.
    PADI Dive Master, Master Diver, and Cavern. SDI Solo Diver. DSAT Tec 50. TDI Trimix.

Grouper
    Yes, those 48 degree temps make it a challenge for cold water weenies like me. I don't like it at all but what can you do.

I had an idea of course of the depth before I did the dive because I had scanned it with my side scan sonar in the past. The problem with side scan is that it looks to the side so I have to use my down looking sonar to get on the site.

The cold compounds the diffuculty of the dive on top of the depth and the less than good viz. It is diffucult on air due to a compressed schedule and being solo.

I am not from this area and hope not to be from here much longer and return to the coast so I am not clear on this bridge--what happened to the roadway that should lead to it? Is there a way to shore dive and follow the old road bed down to the bridge or anchor in shallower water to the side (of all the boat traffic) to enter this site?

I have posted this pic before but here is the bridge:

Here it is on my sonar down looking:

On side scan:

BTW, I was not looking for a buddy, I was just hopeful for additional information on the structure and the best part of it to dive, best approach to it given it's size and diffuculty. I will do the dive on air, I am not prone to narcosis, been much, much deeper, the cold and dark worry me more.

Anchoring in close to 200 feet of water is not fun, to avoid that or doing a free drop like I did it seems there should be an abandoned road bed to follow down from a shallower depth??

N

Shark Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivingCRNA View Post

FYI-Trimix actually INCREASES your deco time. Trimix is good for narcosis reduction, not decreasing deco.

He is more soluble than nitrogen.
    Talk about having a DUH! moment. I knew that (at least in the BACK of my brain). This desert must be effecting my brain.

Shark Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemrod View Post
    Yes, those 48 degree temps make it a challenge for cold water weenies like me. I don't like it at all but what can you do.

I had an idea of course of the depth before I did the dive because I had scanned it with my side scan sonar in the past. The problem with side scan is that it looks to the side so I have to use my down looking sonar to get on the site.

The cold compounds the diffuculty of the dive on top of the depth and the less than good viz. It is diffucult on air due to a compressed schedule and being solo.

I am not from this area and hope not to be from here much longer and return to the coast so I am not clear on this bridge--what happened to the roadway that should lead to it? Is there a way to shore dive and follow the old road bed down to the bridge or anchor in shallower water to the side (of all the boat traffic) to enter this site?

I have posted this pic before but here is the bridge:

BTW, I was not looking for a buddy, I was just hopeful for additional information on the structure and the best part of it to dive, best approach to it given it's size and diffuculty. I will do the dive on air, I am not prone to narcosis, been much, much deeper, the cold and dark worry me more.

Anchoring in close to 200 feet of water is not fun, to avoid that or doing a free drop like I did it seems there should be an abandoned road bed to follow down from a shallower depth??

N

You would think that there would be a shallower section, or at least a road bed leading to it. Maybe the roadway was removed by the CoE, or is under several feet of mud now.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information