Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Wetsuits

Grouper

Question New Wetsuits

I'm curious about the Henderson Hyperstretch, Insta Dry, and Gold Core wetsuits. Are they really better than an every day run of the mill wetsuit or is the price a result of marketing?

Grouper Founding Member
    I can only speak to the Henderson Thermoprene's recently on closeout, and man are those nice to put on and take off!

I usually dive 7mm here in San Diego, but could only get a 5mm in my size and decided to jump on it anyhow.

I dove it yesterday, 27 minutes at 58 degrees and it was just fine, so I'm pretty happy with it so far. It should be good for me down to the high 40's...

I also have their 7/5mm hood and 5mm gloves. I really like the material, though I an not sure if it will hold up as well?
    -- Warren

Shark Founding Member
    My husband and I have Henderson Hyperstretch suits (3mm and 5mm). My husband has nearly 200 dives on his 3mm full and it has compressed to about the thickness of a microprene suit (we compared side by side). I have about 120 dives on my 5mm full and it's compressed to about a 3mm now.

I recently bought a Pinnacle Elastaprene 7mm full (closeout from ST) and not only am I super impressed with the construction, but the stretchiness is excellent as well. I'd say about 80% or so the stretchiness of the Hyperstretch, but since I had no problems putting on a 7mm full suit, it was stretchy enough.

Actually, we're so impressed with the Pinnacle that we're buying a Merino Elastoprene 5mm for my husband, and I just pulled the trigger and ordered a 3mm like the 7mm (on sale from ST). Both of my Hyperstretch suits will go to Goodwill and my husband will keep his "microprene" (3mm Hyperstretch) for warm water (80+ degree) diving.

The Hyperstretch suits are legendary for the fact that they aren't quite as warm as suits of the same thickness and other brands, but when we bought ours, they were just about the only stretchy suits on the market, and you still can't beat them for fit and comfort. Although they tend to pill a lot when in contact with velcro and in the butt (from sitting), that has never effected performance or comfort.

Honestly love the Hyperstretch suits and had the Pinnacle suit not fit me like it was custom made for my body, I'd likely have bought another Henderson.
    Last edited by Zenagirl; 08-18-2008 at 15:28.
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenagirl View Post
    My husband and I have Henderson Hyperstretch suits (3mm and 5mm). My husband has nearly 200 dives on his 3mm full and it has compressed to about the thickness of a microprene suit (we compared side by side). I have about 120 dives on my 5mm full and it's compressed to about a 3mm now.

I recently bought a Pinnacle Elastaprene 7mm full (closeout from ST) and not only am I super impressed with the construction, but the stretchiness is excellent as well. I'd say about 80% or so the stretchiness of the Hyperstretch, but since I had no problems putting on a 7mm full suit, it was stretchy enough.

Actually, we're so impressed with the Pinnacle that we're buying a Merino Elastoprene 5mm for my husband, and I just pulled the trigger and ordered a 3mm like the 7mm (on sale from ST). Both of my Hyperstretch suits will go to Goodwill and my husband will keep his "microprene" (3mm Hyperstretch) for warm water (80+ degree) diving.

The Hyperstretch suits are legendary for the fact that they aren't quite as warm as suits of the same thickness and other brands, but when we bought ours, they were just about the only stretchy suits on the market, and you still can't beat them for fit and comfort. Although they tend to pill a lot when in contact with velcro and in the butt (from sitting), that has never effected performance or comfort.

Honestly love the Hyperstretch suits and had the Pinnacle suit not fit me like it was custom made for my body, I'd likely have bought another Henderson.

i just checked the St website. could not find the men's pinnacle on sale. do you have to call to find out???

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    The hyperstretch are the most comfortable suits made, but they're right, they're far from the warmest. Let your body type and tolerance for cold dictate the decision. Other manuf's stretchy suits are not as nice as Henderson's, but still a big step up over the non-stretch neoprene, and often warmer than the Hyperstretch, to boot.

The gold core and insta-dry are different things entirely, from the hyperstretch. The insta-dry is great, and incredibly warm. Not as stretchy and not as easy to put on than the hyperstretch, however, and frankly they don't last very long. But if stinky wetsuits that are always cold and damp with insufficient time to dry are a problem for you, then the insta-dry has no peers... it's a great suit if you can afford it. Gold core is very comfy... easier to put on than insta-dry, and drys faster than most other suits (although not in the league as insta-dry). Stretchier than the instadry and regular wetsuits, but not technically a stretchy wetsuit. I like them a lot.

What you'll get from a given wetsuit has a lot to with the conditions you'll be diving, however. If all you're doing is warm water Caribbean diving in a 3mm shorty, literally ANY cheap suit will be all you need. If you dive cold water, the suit you buy will make a big difference to your comfort. If you're looking at 3mm full suits and warmish water, there are lots of options and the advantages of Henderson's are not quite as noticeable (except maybe the insta-dry, but again, in warm weather and warm water that's probably not a huge issue in the first place).

Grouper
    Key to any suit discussion is does it fit you? Many really like the Hyperstretch suits, but if it doesn't fit your body closely, it's not a good suit for you. The starting point is their sizing chart at Henderson USA - Size Chart

I have a 5mm Henderson Gold, which works pretty well for me, and I'd recommend it.

Shark Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sravin1 View Post
    i just checked the St website. could not find the men's pinnacle on sale. do you have to call to find out???
    Unfortunately I think they only have the women's ones left.
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

Grouper Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sansho View Post
    Key to any suit discussion is does it fit you? Many really like the Hyperstretch suits, but if it doesn't fit your body closely, it's not a good suit for you. The starting point is their sizing chart at Henderson USA - Size Chart

I have a 5mm Henderson Gold, which works pretty well for me, and I'd recommend it.
    I agree, fit is KEY!

My 5mm Thermoprene keeps me warmer than the 7mm rental that, although nearly new, allowed for more water intrusion due to a poor fit.

I think a definite advantage is that you are more likely to have a good all-around fit due to the stretchy factor.
    -- Warren

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenagirl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sravin1 View Post
    Unfortunately I think they only have the women's ones left.

that sucks.....

Guppy
    CompuDude...what type/brand of wetsuit do diver use in your area? Thanks.
    Inland temperatures today are expected to be in the upper 90s....cooler by the lake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information