Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else diving Chuuk Lagoon late August early September?

Question Anyone else diving Chuuk Lagoon late August early September?

I'm heading to Chuuk in just over a week to go wreck crazyyy. I'm travelling by myself, if anyone else is heading over there drop in here and introduce yourself.. I could be your dive buddy if you're really unlucky.

And to those of you stuck in the 9 to 5 daily grind.. I'll think of you as I saunter around the island and dive some of the worlds best wrecks.

Grouper
    Images
    I envy you Fox. My next trip is in January either to Bunaken Island in Indonesia or to Chuuk and the Truk Stop. It is the one place where you go where you need to be careful where you go on that island.

Heading to Guam from Cairns are we?
    There are those dives that make you question your sanity, if not the need to seek immediate counseling.

Bunaken Island sounds exotic I've never heard of it, I'll have to research it. Guam from Cairns is correct, I live in Melbourne so it is a bit of drawn out process.. but then not as drawn out as the trip from the US. Well worth it though I expect.

Have you lived in Oz? (You obviously have some local knowledge as you know the flight route.)

I'm just finalising my Scuba Toys purchase as we speak.

If anyone who's dived Chuuk before could recommend what length of time to dive the lagoon is adequate I'm all ears - I have to pick between an eight night or 13 night trip.
    Last edited by Fox; 08-13-2007 at 08:35.

Grouper
    Images
    No I have not lived in OZ. I have business trips that take me to Taiwan/China and I will stop by Guam on my way home to do diving. I have been diving in Palau, Yap (2) and Guam and finally Bali just 2 weeks ago.

Here is whom I am thinking about diving with on Bunaken Island (Indonesia)

http://www.twofishdivers.com/
    There are those dives that make you question your sanity, if not the need to seek immediate counseling.

Grouper
    Images
    Here is a trip report on Chuuk that a friend of mine sent to me. He is a dive operator in Yap so he is a local guy. I hope that it helps.

chuuk_report.doc

Grouper Founding Member
    Fox, my mates and I did 11 days of two dives a day and um tried to get happy on the Yankee Budwater in between dives. You could have done three dives a day if you wanted. We missed alot of wrecks.

There are fighters, bombers and seaplanes to visit as well as the wrecks.

My favourite dives were the I-169 and the San Fransico Maru. Push to get a dive on these as the lads work a schedule and you wouldnt want to miss out if you come in between groups. I wanted to do the I-169 and wasnt disappointed. I couldn't believe it was so big. This WW2 sub is bigger than our Oberon Class and close to the size of our Collins Class Subs it was unbelievable and sits in two main pieces.

You have to do the San Fran just to get narced if nothing else. This is the ship that has the tanks in the deck. If you are taking a camera take some light with you as it can be a little dark that deep. Buy an Ikelite Housing for your camera as the Fantasea are only good for 40m. - PS Have a look at the Camera on the ST site, If it is a Nikon S10 they retail here for about $600 and the Housing is about $500 on its own so for $499 plus 15 % exchange and say $50 freight its a fair deal when you get both the camera and the housing! Dont forget to get your 10% discount and your in business.

Take some shoes that you can toss when you leave or be preared to disinfec them back home at Customs as you will want to do the Island tour it is great to look at the caves and gun emplacements there, but it can be very muddy.

You might as a precaution speak with your local GP and get a prescription for some Amoxolin incase you get some bugs biting you there. Look to the DFAT website for advice.

Listen to the advice, the other divers are advising you about being careful on the Island, and dont get a Captain Cook.

We did the 11 days on Truk and had a few days on Guam which was great and made up a couple of weeks away.

It s pity your going on your own as its always good to share these types of dives in the future. Have you asked your local dive clubs is anyone going or Dive Adventures if they can hook you in with a group?

Whatever, enjoy the diving, my favourite dive spot pal. To answer your question if you have the dough and the time do the thirteen days but you will have to like your wrecks and watch your saturation.

Krakenn
    If your not living on the edge your taking up too much room

Thumbs up f

Deep Diver, Krakenn, your posts were awesome, thanks for the detail. I went for the longer trip, you only live once so what is a thousand odd bucks in the scheme of things. It means if the weather is poor for a couple of days I don't have to stress. Full trip report on my return, and possibly during the trip.

Krakenn because I have chosen the long holiday my budget for a camera is tight but I would love to record the memories - do the land operations offer a camera or video capture service that you can buy at the end of the trip on DVD etc? ..if not I'll hunt around and see when I can scratch up.

Grouper
    Images
    good points about going longer, you can always spend more time at Shark Island

Grouper Founding Member
    Fox, I didnt see anyone hiring Cameras but then I didnt look either pal.
    If you can do some OT have a look at that Ikelite that ST has. For its price and the depth rating at 60m it should be the ticket if you can get it over the line. PS but dont come up short on the recreational pursuits at Truk if you buy it mate as you have to drink twice as much of the American lite beers.

The other thing is to learn what is a fair tip. As tipping is required at Truk and i think we over tipped as we were conscious that it had to be done.
    If your not living on the edge your taking up too much room

Red face

Tipping ehhhh I had not thought of that, Australians aren't used to the tipping culture, over here we only tip in restaurants one or two dollars if the service is good, oh and cab drivers and pizza delivers, but that's about it.

I am trying to work out how much I'll spend per day in Chuuk on items other than diving (food and tipping) I'm guessing USD40 a day for three or four meals but I am probably under estimating, I have a big appetite..

(That doesn't include beer of course.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information