Thread: canister light question

Grouper

canister light question

I did my first 2 dives with my new canister light yesterday (cheers ST)and thanks for the help deciding which light to get CompuDude, and i was wondering if i can ask a couple of questions.

I dove with a couple of other blokes that had canister lights and 1 of them flicked his light on as we started the descent and the other didnt flick his on until we were at depth.
    I found it much easier to see the buddy with his light on compared to the buddy without during the descent.
    Was bad vis and it really made a difference.

What is the best method....should i have the light on my left hand and switched on as i descend or should i have it hanging on my right d ring and on, or should i not have it on until i get to depth?

Also i found while diving if i checked my spg the light would send signals all over the place as i unclipped my spg and re clipped it.
    Should i be taking the light in my other hand and then checking my spg and then putting the goodman back on the left.
    Or should i not worry too much about it.

Thanks for the help,
    Jas.

Grouper
    I hold the light in my right hand with the cord wrapped around my wrist to take up the slack.

Turn the light on while you are still on the surface because if it doesn't turn on it is better to find out on the surface than at depth.

I turn mine on during the equipment check on the surface -- that way I know it works before I dive. I often deploy it during descent.

If you are diving in high ambient light, checking your SPG may not bother your teammates, but in low light it will catch their attention. It's fairly simple to slip your thumb into the Goodman handle and thus transfer the light to a temporary right hand hold, check the gauge, and transfer the light back. With practice, this will become so smooth that no one will notice you have done it.

Guppy
    I turn mine on when we start to descend because I use a HID that takes a little bit to power up fully. If I'm not using it, or need my hands for other things, I generally have it clipped to the right chest d-ring so that the light beam points down (when I'm in horizontal trim) to help buddies see me. I also have a loop on the handle if I want the light to point the other way when clipped (also stows better this way when off).

If you need to save battery power, you may want to turn yours on later, but if it's a HID remember to account for the power up time. i.e. if there's an emergency, you can't just turn it on and expect full signaling power right off if it's anything like my Salvo 21W...

Grouper
    Sounds good.
    Thanks for that.
    I also had the same problem each time i wanted to add air to my bcd....i will transfer to my right hand from now on.
    I have a 10 watt hid.
    Most of the diving i do is in low light bad vis so i can see the benefits of having the light fully fired by the time i get to depth.

Cheers,
    Jas.

Grouper Founding Member
    As others have said, it is important to test all of your lights at the surface (I check mine before I put on my gear at the truck, actually, save for my canister light, which is turned on at the surface when my buddy and I make sure that we both checked our other lights at the truck.). Definitely fire that sucker before you go down! It might be good to go through an entire pre-descent ritual. I usually do something like this:
    1) wet breathe regulators and inflate/deflate BC. This checks that all of my regs are working with none of them leaking water in, and that my power inflator seems to work as well.
    2) lights: backups checked at the truck, fire primary now and make sure it works.
    3) computer(s): what is everyone using, is it working, is it set to the right gas mixture? (also gives chance to make sure everyone knows which gas everyone is using)
    4) knives: what do you have, where do you have it?
    5) reels or other objects which are specific to your kind of diving: do you have all of those objects?
    6) the obligatory "hey does anyone think I skipped anything?" moment. \
    Then we do a bubble checking, leaning our head back to submerge the tank neck and first stage so our buddy can check to make sure it's not leaking. After this, we practice an air share, then surface and discuss our gas to figure out when we turn the dive, and make sure we each understand the dive plan.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfish View Post
    I did my first 2 dives with my new canister light yesterday (cheers ST)and thanks for the help deciding which light to get CompuDude, and i was wondering if i can ask a couple of questions.

I dove with a couple of other blokes that had canister lights and 1 of them flicked his light on as we started the descent and the other didnt flick his on until we were at depth.
    I found it much easier to see the buddy with his light on compared to the buddy without during the descent.
    Was bad vis and it really made a difference.

What is the best method....should i have the light on my left hand and switched on as i descend or should i have it hanging on my right d ring and on, or should i not have it on until i get to depth?

Also i found while diving if i checked my spg the light would send signals all over the place as i unclipped my spg and re clipped it.
    Should i be taking the light in my other hand and then checking my spg and then putting the goodman back on the left.
    Or should i not worry too much about it.

Thanks for the help,
    Jas.
    Light should generally be on from the time you start your descent. The whole reason you bought an HID canister light is to USE it, not to save the batteries. If you don't have enough juice to get through your planned dive, you bought the wrong light. If you don't have enough to get through multiple dives, just buy a second battery and swap when needed. Most HIDs have approx 4 hr burn time, so that should get the vast majority of people (except hardcore tech divers doing crazy deco) through two nice long dives without breaking a sweat. So turn it on from the moment you start your descent. (I don't bother turning mine on for a long surface swim, however, but that's a location-dependent judgment call) It's up to you when you turn it off, but I usually keep mine on at least until I reach the surface... sometimes it stays on until I'm on dry land.

The generally accepted practice is to have the light in your left hand. As LCF posted, just transfer the light to your right hand to hold temporarily for the moment it takes to check gauges or adjust buoyancy... this helps keep your light under control and not shine all over, blinding you and anyone else that gets in the way. You can either thumb the Goodman handle as she described, or grasp the light head itself (the body, that is)... whichever you prefer.

Grouper
    Cheers

Jas.

Thread Information