Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Dive on the Chesapeake Bay

Oh yea, the reason I posted anyway.

MDDIVER, I dove for oysters a few years ago about 3 miles south of the Bay Bridge and it was a blast!

Early October, 12' of water and about 25' viz. Can't remember the name of the boat, it was an oyster rig.

If you keyword search "Chesapeake Bay oyster diving" I'm sure you'll find something.

But anyway, man, it was absolutely awesome! Probably my shallowest dive ever, but definately one of the best.

Like I said, the viz was great, there were Rockfish constantly circling me, Horseshoe crabs mating, and little jellies drifting by so close you could see the electricity pulsing inside of them!

And on top of all that, I got my fill of oysters and gobbled them all up the moment I got back home.

Definately a great time, let's go!
    Last edited by ScubaDude; 10-20-2008 at 22:18. Reason: um, I hate typos?
    Inhale, Exhale, Repeat.

Grouper
    Just got back from an Oyster Dive in the Bay. It was Awesome! Pulled in many Oysters...Delicious!

Guppy
    Anne Arundel County, Maryland United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Empacher View Post
    Just got back from an Oyster Dive in the Bay. It was Awesome! Pulled in many Oysters...Delicious!
    How many were you able to bring home?
    Can I log a dive in my bath tub?

Guppy
    We did an oyster dive on the bay on 11/1 - left out of Kent Island. Limit was 1 bushel/person on the boat - so each diver got one as well as the captain an the mate. They say it's pretty consistent that they limit out, though I imagine that a boat full of newbies might not quite make it...

Grouper
    Sounds like I need to head there and do some diving. All I have around here is a bunch of lakes. But! That is only for a short time till I move back to Mexico.

Guppy
    Anne Arundel County, Maryland United States
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisD View Post
    We did an oyster dive on the bay on 11/1 - left out of Kent Island. Limit was 1 bushel/person on the boat - so each diver got one as well as the captain an the mate. They say it's pretty consistent that they limit out, though I imagine that a boat full of newbies might not quite make it...

Sweet! How long was the trip from PA to there worth the drive I guess. Do you remember the boat or who you booked the trip through. How was the cost?
    Can I log a dive in my bath tub?

Guppy
    We booked a month or so ago via Undersea Outfitters in Finksburg, MD (underseaoutfitters.com). The trips seem to fill up REALLY quickly though -- there's always the chance that someone might cancel of course.

We were diving on the Julie Marie 2 with Captain Charlie. He did mention that he might have a spot or two for the day before Thanksgiving - for an afternoon. That was on the 2nd so no guarantees about spots!

We're in Westminster, MD so not quite PA. Took us about 90 minutes to get there -- check google maps to Kent Island, MD for a rough idea.

There's another boat out of Indian River, DE called "To Dive For" that I've heard good things about as well. Can't seem to find a working website for them at the moment though.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by MDDIVER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Empacher View Post
    How many were you able to bring home?
    (2) 5 gallon bucketfuls....Plus many more eaten on the boat

Quote Originally Posted by TravisD View Post
    We booked a month or so ago via Undersea Outfitters in Finksburg, MD (underseaoutfitters.com). The trips seem to fill up REALLY quickly though -- there's always the chance that someone might cancel of course.

We were diving on the Julie Marie 2 with Captain Charlie. He did mention that he might have a spot or two for the day before Thanksgiving - for an afternoon. That was on the 2nd so no guarantees about spots!

We're in Westminster, MD so not quite PA. Took us about 90 minutes to get there -- check google maps to Kent Island, MD for a rough idea.

There's another boat out of Indian River, DE called "To Dive For" that I've heard good things about as well. Can't seem to find a working website for them at the moment though.
    You can get the number for "ToDiveFor" by calling Divers Den at 410-668-6866. They are a very reputable dive shop in Baltimore.
    Inhale, Exhale, Repeat.

Shark
    yes I am bumping up an old thread.....My cousin died in 2009 and his ashes have been made into a reef ball that was dropped in the chesapeake bay. has anyone heard of this site and do you know of any dive op that would take us to the site so Hubby and I can dive his memorial and take pictures for his parents????
    God is good, no matter what!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information