Thread: Dive logic SOLUTION

Funeral Jorunna

Arrow Dive logic SOLUTION

One person said the wording of the clues confused him. He wasn't happy with "right before", "right after", and "after but not right after". The meaning of "right before" and "right after" I hope seem clear and mean nobody else arrived between those people.(e.g. if B arrived "right after" A then nobody else arrived between them). In this context the meaning of "after but not right after" should be clear.(e.g. if B "arrived after A but not right after" A then at least one person arrived between them). Thus looking at clue 6 you should be able to deduce that Mark can only be 2nd or 3rd. Clear as mud?

The following solution is terse and it may help to write down what is deduced as you go along. I've also included the original post so you can have the clues in front of you as you read it.

Every year Sue and four other divers meet in Bali for at least a week of diving. On a recent visit the five all from different places(one is from Eugene) arrived in Bali at different times. Each wore a different dive related t-shirt and each person has a unique nickname. From this information and the following clues, determine what order they arrived, their first names, nicknames, who wore what t-shirt, and hometown NOTE: nicknames appear in quotes.

1. The Boston diver arrived just before the one wearing the Scuba Toys t-shirt. Kate arrived right after "Squid" did.(Four different people are mentioned in this clue)

2. The man who wore the Dive Cairns t-shirt didn't arrive fourth.

3. Chuck arrived just before "Nemo" who arrived right before the person wearing the Grateful Diver t-shirt.

4. The five divers are: Tom, "Bones", the one who arrived last, the Boulder resident, and the one who wore the Aggressor t-shirt.

5. Neither the man called "Sharky"(who wasn't first) nor Kate wore the Galapagos t-shirt.

6 "Chinacat" (who isn't from Phoenix) arrived after Mark but not right after Mark, who arrived sometime after the Atlanta diver.

SOLUTION:
    The one who arrived last is not Chuck(clue 3), Tom(clue 4) or Mark(clue 6); so she is either Sue or Kate. "Sharky" is a man(clue 5), so was not last. Nor was "Nemo"(clue 3), "Squid"(clue 1) or "Bones"(clue 4); thus "Chinacat" was last. She is not from Boston(clue 1), Boulder(clue 4), or Atlanta or Phoenix(both clue 6) so must be from Eugene. Kate's flight was right after "Squid" (clue 1), so she didn't wear the Grateful Diver t-shirt since that person arrived right after "Nemo"(clue 3) Nor did Kate wear the Scuba Toys (clue 1), Galapagos(clue 5), or the Dive Cairns(clue 2) so she wore the Aggressor t-shirt. So Kate was not last(clue 4) so Sue is "Chinacat" from Eugene and was last. Kate is also not "Squid"(clue 1), "Bones"(clue 4), or "Sharky"(clue 5) so she is "Nemo". Chuck who arrived before "Nemo"(clue 3)aka Kate then is "Squid"(clue 1). By clue 4 then he must be from Boulder. Tom is not "Bones"(clue 4) so is "Sharky"; by elimination Mark is "Bones". The first to arrive wasn't "Nemo"(clue 3), "Sharky"(clue 5), Mark(clue 6) aka "Bones" so was Chuck aka "Squid". By clue 3 then Kate aka "Nemo" was second the one wearing the Grateful Diver t-shirt was third. Mark aka "Bones" didn't arrive fourth(clue 6), so he was third and thus wore the Grateful Diver t-shirt and Kate aka "Nemo" is from Atlanta(also clue 6); by elimination, Tom aka "Sharky" was fourth. He didn't wear the Galapagos t-shirt(clue 5) or the Dive Cairns t-shirt(clue 2) so wore the Scuba Toys and thus Mark is from Boston(clue 1). By elimination Tom is from Phoenix. Sue aka "Chinacat" didn't wear the Dive Cairns t-shirt(clue 2) so Chuck did and by elmination Sue wore the Galapagos t-shirt.

In order of arrival:
    Chuck aka "Squid" from Boulder wearing the Dive Cairns t-shirt
    Kate aka "Nemo" from Atlanta wearing the Aggressor t-shirt
    Mark aka "Bones" from Boston wearing the Grateful Diver t-shirt
    Tom aka "Sharky" from Phoenix wearing the Scuba Toys t-shirt
    Sue aka "Chinacat" from Eugene wearing the Galapagos t-shirt
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Grouper
    wow I was off. I was going with the research theory and had chinacat from boulder since you are from Layfette which is near boulder. I did have sue as chinacat however since all the guys conflicted with the nickmame.

I also had Bones from atl since the that is were the guy who played him on StarTreck is from.
    You thought about how you could, but you didn't think about if you should.

Funeral Jorunna
    Well my first name is Chuck and I lived in Boulder during grad school before buying a house in Lafayette. Didn't know the guy who played McCoy was from Atlanta.
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Grouper
    see and I initially set it up as Chuck "Chinacat" from Boulder but it work out, I just threw out the wrong match.
    You thought about how you could, but you didn't think about if you should.

Thread Information