Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok, sittin here with my mask half-full with water and its still foggin?

Guppy

Ok, sittin here with my mask half-full with water and its still foggin?

I'm sittin here in front of the computer with my mask on.. I poured a bottle of Dejablue water so it fills near the bottom of my eyes.
    Now I know my nose is under the water, but the rest of my mask that is not in water is starting to fog up!

Is this normal? I cleaned my mask and put the defog on it.. oh well..
    tee-hee, water is leakin down my chin and onto my tank top!!
    Save lives...Spay and neuter your pets

TadPole
    Haha, I think you need to actually have the mask on underwater to test if you defog works.

Edit: Oops, looks like don't know what the hell I'm talking about on this one. Sorry.
    Last edited by lemon lime; 09-12-2008 at 01:52.

Grouper
    When you first got your mask, did you do the toothpaste rub on it?

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyvalea View Post
    I'm sittin here in front of the computer with my mask on.. I poured a bottle of Dejablue water so it fills near the bottom of my eyes.
    Now I know my nose is under the water, but the rest of my mask that is not in water is starting to fog up!

Are you in an air conditioned room? If there is a significant temperature differential and enough humidity in the air, the "warm" side of glass will simply fog.

Just like breathing on your eyeglasses to produce moisture to clean them.
    Or like the fogged up mirror in your bathroom after you take a shower.
    Or your car windshield when you've got the air conditioner on and have to use the wipers to see out.

Okay, a scuba example: if I've got a fogging issue underwater and I fill the mask to wash it out and then clear, often the warm humidity of my breath on the inside of the mask just fogs it back up again.

So you're in Texas in summer, therefore I assume you're in an air-conditioned room where the air temperature is lower than the temperature of the air inside your mask, which gets warmed through your body heat.
    Last edited by Quero; 09-12-2008 at 01:03.
    DIVE with me in THAILAND!
    Gekko Scuba Divers, Phuket

Guppy
    thanks! I did clean with toothpaste and seabuff!!

yes, it is a little humid today, and the ceiling fan is a blowin!
    but all the water leaked out on my shirt..
    Save lives...Spay and neuter your pets

I had to do the toothpaste scrub 3 or 4 times to get all the residue off. My wifes mask cleaned in 2. Maybe a bit more scrubbing is needed?

Grouper

I would really recommend getting into a body of water with the mask and regulator to know what is really going on but you might just need a new mask. You should try out tons you might have a face shape that is hard to fit. There are midsize masks and I find that different mask types work well for different people.

Guppy
    I'm sittin here in front of the computer with my mask on.. I poured a bottle of Dejablue water so it fills near the bottom of my eyes....

Is this normal?
    No, this is not normal. Most people test their mask with Aquafina or Ozarka bottled water to see if it fogs up. Try another brand, and see if it still fogs.

Barracuda
    also try your spit to see if that works a little better than the defog does my spit usually does oh and it sounds a lil weird but I find if I acctually lick the mask rather than spit in it and rub it around w/ my finger it works a lil better dont know if some of the oils on your skin make it for or anything like that but hey it works for me.
    When you turn your air on does it return the favor?!
    "I'd rather die while im living, than live while I'm dead!" -Jimmy Buffett

Guppy
    Anne Arundel County, Maryland United States
    I just got a new mask a few months ago. I cleaned it a few times with tooth paste and a little over the counter defog I went diving. This dive (at a great location) Sucked. Ever two mins or so I was flooding and clearing my mask. Now it had been 3 years since my last dive so it was good practice but if sure did kill this dive. I went home cleaned it some more even tried a few tricks people stated were good ideas like taking a lighter and using soft scrub to the mask. I wen to another dive site and jumped right in foged right up. This dive however was not a waste because clear or not clear I could not see the hand in front of my face. I then made a vist back to the local dive shop that I got the mask from and had a little talk with the onwer about this mask. He gave me this 500 PSI (I think thats the name). I decided before the next dive I would have to but it to the test. I ran over to my parents pool jumped in after using the defog (following the directions) and no fog. My next dive was back at the first location and boy when you have 50+ foot of viz and no foging you dive is a lot better. Find it and give it a try.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information