Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deviated septum?

Guppy

Deviated septum?

Is anyone else out there diving with a minorly deviated septum?

- Did you ever get it corrected by surgery? If so, how was clearing before and after?

Grouper
    I do- my ENT told me not to have surgery unless absolutely necessary

Grouper Founding Member
    i can barely breath through my right nostril because of mine, and I have a history of sinus problems....however, i have no problems clearing. Actually, I'm getting close to not having to even pinch my nose anymore to clear.

Long Tailed Thresher Shark

Don't do it

Don't get the surgery unless you are having frequent, recurrent, difficult to treat sinusitis or something else major that is making it a problem.

If you are equalizing without any problem then you have no problem there.

Grouper
    I do, and I had it fixed 2 weeks after I was O/W certified. My doc was recommended by DAN, and was excellent. He basically left it up to me to decide whether to have the surgery or not, but pointed out that odds are, the one time it would come against me would be on day 1 of a dive trip I paid a fortune to be on, and then I'd be kicking myself if I hadn't done it. I did it and no regrets.

That being said, my O/W instructor has the same thing, and has dived the Doria with no issues, so you may be just fine without doing a thing. I would recommend asking DAN for a good ENT in your area, and consulting with him.

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by caroln View Post
    I do, and I had it fixed 2 weeks after I was O/W certified. My doc was recommended by DAN, and was excellent. He basically left it up to me to decide whether to have the surgery or not, but pointed out that odds are, the one time it would come against me would be on day 1 of a dive trip I paid a fortune to be on, and then I'd be kicking myself if I hadn't done it. I did it and no regrets.

That being said, my O/W instructor has the same thing, and has dived the Doria with no issues, so you may be just fine without doing a thing. I would recommend asking DAN for a good ENT in your area, and consulting with him.
    i do have general issues of slow clearing around 3-5 meters.

what was the difference in clearing before and after?
    how was the surgery? how long were you out?

thanks for your experiences!

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulubelle View Post
    Don't get the surgery unless you are having frequent, recurrent, difficult to treat sinusitis or something else major that is making it a problem.

Is there any reason having surgery would effect diving? My nose was broken when I was 18 and I had surgery to fix the deviated septum and straighten it from being broken. Should I take precaution when I dive?

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by SPLzero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulubelle View Post

Is there any reason having surgery would effect diving? My nose was broken when I was 18 and I had surgery to fix the deviated septum and straighten it from being broken. Should I take precaution when I dive?
    Hi!

No, from what I understand, having your septum corrected should make diving much easier.

And that's what I am checking with others who have had the same surgery!

Long Tailed Thresher Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by SPLzero View Post
    It really depends on the extent of your surgery and any complications afterwards. For a simply septum repair without complications, no. Some people have issues that can affect their sinuses and even the orbit of the eye, but trust me, you would know if you had had any of those problems which MIGHT affect your diving.

Guppy
    I have had my deviated septum corrected. I had it done 2 years prior to my OW cert, so I have no experience to compare before and after. I can say that I have NO problems whatsoever. My ENT was great about the whole process. I was out for 2 weeks of regular life because of the extensive things done at the same time (tonsels, uvula, and excess throat tissue). If doing just the surgery, I would be a month MINIMUM from diving.

As a side note, I also had my uvula (dangly thing in back of throat) removed at the same time. My throat gets a little dry because of this, but I have NO restrictions in breathing. I'm willing to bet that I will never be able to notice a breathing difference in regulators.
    Last edited by Drewskey; 10-11-2008 at 17:55. Reason: Addition
    "It's not what you do in your life that matters. It is what you do in other people's lives that matters" - my grandfather

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information