Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it worth the $$$ to take pics while Diving?

Grouper

Is it worth the $$$ to take pics while Diving?

The housing for my Cannon is $200. Just deciding is the expense worth it to take pictures. Anyone feel they wasted money afterward (especially with all the scuba stuff you can buy instead like a computer watch)

Guppy Founding Member
    *waiting for Larry to post in the thread*

Anyways, I'd say it's definitely worth the money to take pictures. Even if you don't take the best pictures, it helps jog your memory of what you saw when you were there. My camera also takes video, and I use it as an underwater video camera sometimes.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    I used to shoot pics and it definately wasn't a waste of money. The only warning I can give you is that once you start, you'll want more and more camera gear. You may start with a small camera and a housing, but soon you'll want a strobe for better color and then you'll want to blow up some pics for your wall and realize you need a better camera with more megapixels to make that happen. It's a never ending game.

Currently, I'm waiting until I can blow a few grand on a new set up before I make the plunge again.
    Check out my photo site: SeaMonsterPhoto.com

Moderator ST-Forum Mod WV Diver's Avatar
    Images
    That is a question only you can answer for yourself. I love my pics and wouldn't trade some of them for love nor money. But I get tired of always taking pics sometimes and don't even take the camera with me. I have kicked myself a time or two also for doing it.

1-877-728-2243
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from bad judgment.

A series of unrecognized mistakes does not constitute experience.

I'm a NMOF and proud of it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Shark Founding Member
    Images
    I think that if you are really into photography, then the $200 isn't a deal breaker. But If I were you, I'd get the cheapest underwater setup I could find. Because IMHO dragging a camera around is a PITA. I used to have 1, and everyone always wanted me to take it along on dives. It got so I hated the thing. Now that was years ago, and cameras are better & much easier to use. But they are still expensive, and still a PITA to drag around unless you are into that kind of thing.

But I have lots of underwater pictures. Mine are typical vacation type pictures & many are not very good. And if you look at my land pictures you'll see that they are typical of someone with family photos. Alot of great memories, but not much in the way of quality. I guess what I'm saying is if you want to take some underwater pictures, start out small because it may be something you rarely use if you are like me.
    "Human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the reason we're as crazy as we are." - Desdemona

You don't know Desdemona? . . . "She runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown."
    - Jimmy Buffett

Grouper Founding Member
    I picked up the Canon UW housing, and i find that my camera is in it, more often than not.
    Not only are they waterproof, but snowproof, splashproof, bumproof, and help protect the camera from the elements.
    Took the camera camping, and had the camera in the backpack, no case needed, just pull it out and shoot.
    camera's are fragile, the cases in there construction a little more durable.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by porsche060 View Post
    The housing for my Cannon is $200. Just deciding is the expense worth it to take pictures. Anyone feel they wasted money afterward (especially with all the scuba stuff you can buy instead like a computer watch)
    A question really only you can answer. I've got over a $1000 bucks invested now and it's only a matter of time I think before I'm spending several more thousand.... but thats me :-) I think even if you only take pictures on vacation that it would be worth the $200 just for the memories :-)
    Bill
    Just killing time during my surface interval ;-)
    "If it's too cold for a 3mm, it's cold enough for a drysuit!"

Barracuda
    Images
    I love photography under water.. Right now due to other more important expenses I use a 35MM UW camera. Even though the quality isnt the best - the pictures are still very worth it for me! As you get more experience with it, you will love it more and more

Grouper
    I have thousands invested in my photo equiptment for above water pictures. I wish the Underwater housing for my Olympus DSLR was only $200 (It is closer to $900). I have a Canon powershot S60, and I plan on getting the canon housing for it. It takes decent pictures, and is small. I am also considering the Olympus stylus 770 SW. It is rated waterproof to 33ft, small enough to stick in you pocket, and would be suitable for 90% of the dive sites out there.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by porsche060 View Post
    Definitely worth it, in my opinion. If you're planning on only diving low-vis lakes then maybe not...but you'll be glad you have it on any blue-water trips. Remember also that it's an investment, not just blown money. If you decide that it wasn't a good purchase for you, you can always turn around and sell the housing.

edit: one other thing...if you're camera is capable of movies also (most are nowadays), then that's even more reason to get it underwater.
    Last edited by torrey; 08-16-2007 at 13:16.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information