Thread: Wetsuit

Guppy
    Images

Wetsuit

As part of my question posted in "wetsuits" I talked about getting a suit other than the semi-dry I just picked up, in case thats too warm for the mid summer months. I've been wearing a 7mil farmer john for my 8 dives this summer, and have been fine temp wise. My dad has a 7mil shorty that doesn't fit him, so the question is, has/does anyone ever used a shorty or is that too cold having that skin exposed?

Grouper
    I dove a semi-dry at Dutch Springs- I was very comfortable. I wouldn't think you need a different suit for that particular quarry.

I logged around 20 dives at Dutch this year, June and August. I wore a 7mm one piece, 5mm hood and booties. A pair of reef gloves, and I was comfortable at depth, far too warm on surface swims. Hands were a bit chilly at depth, come to think of it.

I did see one guy dive a shorty, in August. He went to the platforms and thumbed his dive. I ran into him later, he said it was far too cold, lol.

Next year, I'll be diving dry there.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by CFDAlden View Post
    I did see one guy dive a shorty, in August. He went to the platforms and thumbed his dive. I ran into him later, he said it was far too cold, lol.

I can just imagine the looks on everyone else as he got ready for the dive. A shorty at Dutch...YIKES!!!!

Guppy
    Images
    Yeah, thats pretty much what i thought. I was trying to remember if I saw ayone wearing one, and didn't think so. I guess I'll just have to do some warmer diving, oh darn.

Grouper
    ST has a good deal on the 7mm Henderson Thermoprene or you can get a lighter wetsuit (cheaper too) to layer on top of your 7mm farmer John. If it fits you, you can put the 7mm shorty on top of your john as well.

Thread Information