Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackbeard Advice

TadPole

Blackbeard Advice

My b/f and I are planning a trip summer 09, does anyone have any advice for me? What to bring? What to leave at home? What to expect? My b/f gets really seasick, any suggestions?
    He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.Douglas Adams

Guppy
    Sardis Lake, Mississippi (formerly from Memphis, TN)
    Expect to have a fabulous dive experience. You will board with a lot of strangers and disembark with a boat load of friends. Take swim suits, tshirts, a pair of sweats and rain gear. Leave the rest at home. I've been on many liveaboards and had some of the best times on Blackbeards. However, if your foo-foo, you will not have a great time. it's camping at sea with a bunch of other folk. On the sea sickness, start taking dramamine before you get there, and take it consistently. Eat ginger snaps. It all depends on how rough it can be. Sometimes smooth, sometimes you wish you could get off and walk.
    Best Regards; Don Wray
    PADI MSDT;EFR/CFC/AED

TadPole
    Do ginger snaps actually help? I read on another post to bring immodium, do we need this?
    He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.Douglas Adams

Barracuda
    Hi,

Gingersnaps really do help. If you can bring beverages aboard, try bringing aboard a few cans of ginger ale or ask if ginger ale can be stocked for you. It works wonders for upset tummies.

Your b/f can sip the soda when he is feeling woozy. The key is to sip it - chugging it down will only make matters worse. It is a pretty carbinated drink. Oh, and I have heard that sipping it at a cool or warm temp is better than cold or on the rocks. It doesn't shock the walls of your stomach as much.

Barracuda
    I can't directly confirm it, but I did see a TV show testing ginger's effect on motion sickness and the results indicated that it really did work.

I have also heard that for a BB trip, take as little stuff as possible since storage is at a premium. I haven't done one yet but friends have a couple of times and they really enjoy them a lot!
    Some people are like a Slinky, not really good for anything but they do make you smile when you push them down stairs.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Ginger does help, but be wary of thing named gingerxxx because now a days few actually have ginger in them.

Ginger ale for example, the mainstream variety has none in it and you might aw well drink sprite etc. In fact, the ginger snaps at my local store have no ginger in them either.

In the old days, Mom used to give me Soda Crackers and 7 up to settle my stomach. It still works, I think the crackers absorb the acid and make it feel better.

So, be wary until you read the labels.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Funeral Jorunna
    Quote Originally Posted by carriersanders View Post
    Do ginger snaps actually help? I read on another post to bring immodium, do we need this?
    Immodium won't help with seasickness but it is always a good thing to take with you when traveling and takes up very very little space. Although I doubt you will have any type of problem with the food or water in the Bahamas.
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Guppy
    Hi,

I just got back from a Blackbeard's trip just this month. I had a blast! It is true, truely is camping at sea. If you can, get a hold of a patch. My mother sent me a scope patch and I didn't have one once of trouble. I put it on before leaving the dock.

As far as clothes, I just took a couple of t-shirts, 2 pair of shorts, sleep wear, a long sleeve shirt, and a wind breaker/raincoat, and several bathing suits. Other things were a towel or a shammy to drive off with, sunblock, advil ( just in case I was sore or got a headache), a hat of some sort, sunglasses.

The storage you have is not very big so try and pack as light as you can without forgetting the really important items that you just MUST have.

Not sure where you are flying from, but I checked my dive gear except for my reg, camera and computer. Put most of my stuff in a backpack/carry on type bag.

I hope this helps. Your going to have a wonderful time and the marine life is just out of this world!!.

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by gNats View Post
    Hi,

Gingersnaps really do help. If you can bring beverages aboard, try bringing aboard a few cans of ginger ale or ask if ginger ale can be stocked for you. It works wonders for upset tummies.

Your b/f can sip the soda when he is feeling woozy. The key is to sip it - chugging it down will only make matters worse. It is a pretty carbinated drink. Oh, and I have heard that sipping it at a cool or warm temp is better than cold or on the rocks. It doesn't shock the walls of your stomach as much.
    If not that, take along a package of ginger root tea.
    -Merri
    Diving: where swimming with the fishes is a good thing!

Grouper
    Tamalewood (Albuquerque NM), United States
    Images
    most dive shops carry ginger caplets for seasickness and they do work. For Blackbeard's though I think I would see a doctor and get the patch. We were on the Nekton Pilot a few years ago and passed one of the Blackbeard's boats heading south out of Bimini....... let's just say watching that little boat rock made me a little seasick!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information