Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAUI Equivalent of PADI's Master Scuba Diver?

Guppy Founding Member
    Images

NAUI Equivalent of PADI's Master Scuba Diver?

To become a master scuba diver with PADI, they require the following:

- PADI Open Water Diver certification (or qualifying certification from another organization)
    - PADI Advanced Open Water Diver certification (or qualifying certification from another organization)
    - PADI Rescue Diver certification (or qualifying certification from another organization)
    - 50 logged dives
    - Five PADI Specialty course certifications

Does NAUI have something similar? If so, does NAUI recognize PADI specialty courses towards their version of the master scuba diver?
    Chris
    DallasDivers.com

Grouper
    Pretty sure NAUI has a similar class which req their version of Advance OW and Rescue but not the other stuff (money making opp for PADI)

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    NAUI does not require all those classes. Instead,NAUI demands that you pass a test which is also used to test their DiveMaster and Instuctor candidates. There are also water and diving skills. The difference between NAUI Master Scuba Diver and the DM/Instructor route is that Master does not requre the "stupid human tricks". MSD does not learn how to teach divers.
    rick

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Yes, there is a huge difference between the 2 curriculum's. Padi's Master Diver is a card collection class. They sell you a card that says you bought 5 cards.

With Naui, Master Diver means you have Divemaster knowledge and skills, but don't really want to deal with people. It's for someone who wants a full knowledge base of physics, physiology, diving environment, etc, but does not want to work open water classes with an instructor.

I've seen divers who had 10 dives in their lives... just check out dives from ow and advanced, then they go on a 7 day live aboard, and do a deep wreck dive at night while taking pictures in a drift... then bingo! They are now Master Divers! Perhaps a bit of a stretch... but only a bit.

So it just really depends if you're looking for knowledge and experience, or cool looking chevrons to put on your dive bag or jacket.

Grouper Founding Member
    The NAUI MSD is the highest non-leadership rating for NAUI and a pre-requisite for AI and DM. It is it's own course covering Physics, Physiology, environment, decompression, equipment and various diving skills. There is a 100 question exam to pass and a minimum of 8 open water dives to complete. Required dives are Navigation, search/light salvage, night dive, deep dive and emergency procedures and rescue. There are a variety of dives that can be done to complete the remaining three dive requirements.
    RonC.

Grouper
    A Thousand Miles From Nowhere...in Saitama
    Images
    Wow. NAUI certainly sounds a lot nicer to me in that respect. I'll have to check out what they list on their website.

Although, once again, you can sometimes get a good independent instructor who puts together a bit more rigorous curriculum for their MSD. One I can think of right off hand is Dive-aholic. They require specific PADI specialties and training within those specialties before they'll pass you.

What is the minimum total dives required for the NAUI MSD? PADI says 50 logged dives.

It would be interesting to get the study kit and see what's being covered.

I found this link: http://www.crabbsac.org.uk/articles/A010.htm

Can someone tell me if these requirements are all accurate? If so, they certainly give someone something to informally work towards. After all, I must confess I certainly wouldn't be able to pass a majority of these tests without some extensive training.
    Last edited by namabiru; 08-17-2007 at 18:13. Reason: Afterthoughts
    A Thousand Miles From Nowhere
    http://namabiru.********.com

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    I could do many of them, some I've never tried so I have no idea if I could do it or not. The bailout for example. I've taken off my gear and put it on underwater, but I've never dove in with it off and then had to put it on under. I could see my having buoyancy control issues there. The one where you take it off and swim away from it and surface, then go back down and retrace and put it back on might be an interesting exercise as well. It would depend on whether or not I had to drop my weights. It sounds like something fun though.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Grouper
    Images
    Yeah, I think so too. They would certainly be fun skills to try. Obviously I would do so in a pool, though.

One thing I didn't get on the bailout, though, was the depth you would go to. Is it still the 8-12 feet of water? I'm assuming so, so you would do it in the pool or in a controlled OW environment.

I'm trying to imagine how this would go.

I suppose I would start with connecting my LP hose to my BCD (if this is disconnected), turn on my air, get my reg. squared away so I can at least breathe while doing all this, place my weight belt (unless we can use integrated BCD), place the BCD, place my mask, and place my fins. Unless it's advisable for someone like me, who doesn't dive with contacts, to place a mask right after the reg. squaring so you also have visual.

At least, in the pool, you wouldn't be expected to fumble with gloves/hood etc. I wouldn't really want to do all this with gloves on, anyway.

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaToys Larry View Post
    Yes, there is a huge difference between the 2 curriculum's. Padi's Master Diver is a card collection class. They sell you a card that says you bought 5 cards.
    While I agree with this in general, remember that it is the instructor who will make the most difference. Also, The PADI program offers greater flexibility. For example; if you have no interest in diving deep, the NAUI required deep/simulated decompression dive may not be of much interest. With PADI, you can pick the specialties that you are really interested in.

In addition, you can think of the PADI MSD as kind of a reward. Sit down and decide what you want to achieve with your diving, assuming that you don't want to go the instructor/professional route. Now maybe you find that to achieve those goals you would be taking six specialty courses. You could than get the MSD after your sixth indicating (at least to yourself) that you have met your goals.

On the downside, you then have to find an instructor who can teach all the specialties you want. This may involve having multiple instructors. It will, most likely, take longer to complete.

If I were a PADI instructor, this is how I would present the MSD to my students. Find out what the student wants out of their diving and tailor a program to meet their goal.

That being said, I would like to get a Master Diver Rating myself and I still haven't decided what route I am going to go.

What I would really like to see is an agency offer a Master Diver program that would allow the student to custom tailor the curriculum without having to "buy" multiple cards.

Kent
    Kent R. Frazier
    PADI Alumni Divemaster

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by badfrog88 View Post

While I agree with this in general, remember that it is the instructor who will make the most difference. Also, The PADI program offers greater flexibility. For example; if you have no interest in diving deep, the NAUI required deep/simulated decompression dive may not be of much interest. With PADI, you can pick the specialties that you are really interested in.

What I would really like to see is an agency offer a Master Diver program that would allow the student to custom tailor the curriculum without having to "buy" multiple cards.

Kent
    I have to agree with you, to a point. Some independent instructors, who are high quality, have tailored the MSD so that you do specific certifications. They've sat down and thought carefully about what a MSD *really* should be able to do.

As independents, though, you also probably have some leeway in what you can add on for your learning. For instance, I have a huge interest in learning equipment maintenance. Not just how you clean your BCD, but how it's constructed, and how you can take them apart, and such. Same with regs., or tanks. Knowing how a tank is hydroed is good knowledge, I think. So if I went to an independent instructor and said hey, I'll do these specialties you require, but I also would like the following knowledge, (then name them), and the instructor may say sure, we can work that stuff in for you.

I also highly agree with your recommendation that the student could tailor their education more for the MSD, based on diving environment, etc.

I must say that NAUI's MSD appeals to me for the knowledge and skills required. You are considered highly capable to do the things a divemaster would, minus the customer part. Something I think would be cool is if you could incorporate the PADI Divemaster knowledge portion (or parts of it, if not all) into the MSD certification. I've been thinking of buying the Encyclopedia and workbook just for personal study anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information