Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone used the new Sea & Sea YS-110 alpha strobe

TadPole

Anyone used the new Sea & Sea YS-110 alpha strobe

I am considering buying this new version of the YS-110 - and I am very interested to learn how well the DS-TTL works. See

YS-110a | Strobe | SEA&SEA |

TadPole
    Yes. I have two of them. I don't use them with the DS-TTL though, I use them with wired sync cords and TTL with my camera.

I hear that their new TTL changes are good, but the biggest thing I noticed is the recycle rate is VERY fast compared to the older YS-110s. Also the spotting light is brighter.
    Rich
    D300 in Subal ND30 with 2-YS-110a strobes, D200 in Subal ND20 with 2-YS-110 strobes

TadPole
    Rich

Thanks for the quick reply - glad to hear that they are working well for you.

One day I may upgrade to a big DSLR set-up - but right now I want to just use it in optical slave mode linked to a Digicam in a housing with full DS TTL.

Peter

Barracuda
    Images
    Whats wrong with the orange version?
    Now a trimix diver!

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyN View Post
    Whats wrong with the orange version?
    Nothing if it works for you. The 110a is just faster on the recycle, brighter spotting light, and DS-TTL enhancements if you need that feature.
    Rich
    D300 in Subal ND30 with 2-YS-110a strobes, D200 in Subal ND20 with 2-YS-110 strobes

TadPole
    Roy - my understanding is that the orange version works perfectly when hard wired to the camera, but has been inconsistent when used in TTL optical slave mode.........

TadPole
    I have used one of the originals since they were released to the market in the slave mode. It is kind of like Windows. Every now and again it seems to like to be rebooted.

After it hung on dives a couple of times I started cycling all of the adjustments and switches and firing the strobe in the different settings before changing the batteries. since I started that goofy mritual it hasn't quit working in a dive yet.

I know there isn't a logical e=reason but its like lucky socks. if they work keep wearing them

TadPole

Question YS-110 alpha with sync cords

Quote Originally Posted by VRod RS View Post
    Yes. I have two of them. I don't use them with the DS-TTL though, I use them with wired sync cords and TTL with my camera.
    Are you saying that you can get full TTL function with two YS-110a wired to a D200 in a Subal ND20? I didn't realise that was possible. Does the YS110a support Nikon's i-TTL or are you using the Sea & Sea TTL converter?

Richard

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeplens View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VRod RS View Post
    Are you saying that you can get full TTL function with two YS-110a wired to a D200 in a Subal ND20? I didn't realise that was possible. Does the YS110a support Nikon's i-TTL or are you using the Sea & Sea TTL converter?

Richard
    it is NOT i-TTL, it is TTL with the Sea & Sea converter. You could also use other converter options on the market, but it does TTL correctly. You can take the same subject and shoot it at different exposure settings and get very good results. I have used it with both YS-90, YS-110, YS-110a, and Inon Z-240 strobes..
    Rich

TadPole
    Rich,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have used YS90s with the Sea & Sea converter and Subal ND20. I didn't find them totally reliable. Sometimes they didn't sync with the shutter. The Sea & Sea converter is a repackaged Heinrichs Weikamp OEM converter. Heinrichs does not list the YS90 as supported by his converter because the electronics is too slow to recover from the quench (30 milliseconds, it needs to be 2ms like Z-240). If this is too slow the strobe may not be ready to fire the main flash after quenching the preflash. I found YS90s worked most of the time so I don't know what Sea & Sea have done to the converter to achieve this. For macro work the YS90s with converter were too unreliable for me. You haven't had this problem?

It would be good to know if the recovery time (not recycle time) is faster in the alpha version of the YS110. Sea & Sea make a point of stating that the electronics is new.

Some Japanese DSLR housings like Nexus allow the pop-up flash to be used to trigger strobes via fibre connections. Has anyone tried the YS110 this way?

Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information