Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: smoke a cigar before diving

Hybrid View

TadPole

smoke a cigar before diving

i read a lot of things about smoking a cigar or a cigarrete before diving. i smoke cigars twice a week, and i manage to not smoke one day before the dive, i never tried to smoke before diving cause i'm afraid, but have any of u guys done that?? how was it ??
    tks

I quit smoking all together 5 weeks ago. Prior too that I unfortunately would smoke before/between/after dives. I had no ill effects other than what smoking itself causes but I havent done that much deep diving (110'+) or pushed nitrogen loading to the limits. Of course I dont recommend or suggest smoking at all, especially with diving.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasparotto View Post
    i read a lot of things about smoking a cigar or a cigarrete before diving. i smoke cigars twice a week, and i manage to not smoke one day before the dive, i never tried to smoke before diving cause i'm afraid, but have any of u guys done that?? how was it ??
    tks
    Normal health risks aside, the specific concern of smoking and diving is lung damage (and it's impact on gas absorption/transmission) and carbon monoxide poisoning/retention.

Assuming you don't inhale the cigar smoke, the only impact on diving is not really diving-specific, just the normal concern about mouth cancers.

If you DO inhale the cigar smoke (first: eww!), the same concerns as smoking a cigarette would apply.

I wouldn't smoke for several days before a dive to give your lungs a chance to recover a bit.

That said, it's deadly. My Mom just finished burying my stepdad, he died of lung cancer. He smoked all his life and finally gave it up when he started coughing up blood, it was too late though. So, he spent the last 3 days of his life on a ventilator gasping for air, really he was on O2, all because he had to smoke.

I think it's a vile deadly habit that kills many people and offends me personally. Don't smoke when you dive.

PS, my last dive outing, my buddy lit up his cigar and smoked it AFTER he was done diving so perhaps that's your answer. Do it when you're done diving.

PS, I'm off my soapbox now.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Quote Originally Posted by cummings66 View Post
    I wouldn't smoke for several days before a dive to give your lungs a chance to recover a bit.

That said, it's deadly. My Mom just finished burying my stepdad, he died of lung cancer. He smoked all his life and finally gave it up when he started coughing up blood, it was too late though. So, he spent the last 3 days of his life on a ventilator gasping for air, really he was on O2, all because he had to smoke.

I think it's a vile deadly habit that kills many people and offends me personally. Don't smoke when you dive.

PS, my last dive outing, my buddy lit up his cigar and smoked it AFTER he was done diving so perhaps that's your answer. Do it when you're done diving.

I'm not advocating smoking or anything, but you DO know the difference between cigars and cigarettes, right? It's not just size.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings66 View Post

I'm not advocating smoking or anything, but you DO know the difference between cigars and cigarettes, right? It's not just size.
    I'm pretty sure he does. What's your point? That cigars only cause mouth cancers?

Cigar Smoking Fact Sheet - American Lung Association site

Guppy
    I agree smoking is a bad thing, but I do it. Tried to quit many times and will try again, and one day suceed! BTW, my air consumption is so much better than most of my usual group that they have accused me of breathing on one lung. Not necessarily a tag I'm proud of, given the context. As for cigars, usually only on vacation, in the evening after the dive, and I don't inhale that.

Grouper
    I go to a dive shop in Puerto Morales to dive most of the time and at that dive shop we all get together and smoke cigars and talk about funny things that have happened or just shoot the breeze together. To me it kinda boost up the dive and gets ya all geared up for it!

Shark Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasparotto View Post
    tks
    There is nothing good that can come from smoking anything as a scuba diver.....it has to be one of the worst things we as divers can chose to do.

The damages go well beyond that of the lungs.

I hope if you continue your diving you can break the trend of smoking....save some monies and improve your health and quality of diving.
    PADI Divemaster, TDI Advanced Trimix

Yes, I'm aware of the differences between them. Both can kill you, simple as that. In his case it did, the odd thing was when he did give it up he said he didn't really need them, it was just that he was bored and it helped him. He gave it up cold turkey, but the problem just kept getting worse and worse until finally he couldn't drive the Truck home from Kansas to Mo. Mom luckily had taken the DOT tests and had her license so she drove it home. Went to the hospital from there and never came home again.

He preferred cigarettes but would smoke smaller cigars on occasion, I think many do that and comment on the cigar being a better product. I think both can kill you and neither should be used by a diver, but if you must I'd suggest after a dive and never before. That's how most of the divers I know handle it.

Yes, it was also a cigar that my buddies were smoking after the dive and not a cigarette. I know the difference having grown up in a family that smoked both products. Today the smell of either makes me sick, especially the cigarette.

I am amazed at the money people spend on those things, it's like liquid gold. You could buy some very nice dive gear with the money saved from not using it.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information