Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Northeners coming down to go down :>

Grouper
    Images
    Too bad about the 4th-I always work at a boy scout fireworks stand that day. Maybe I'll get to catch up with you guys somewhere else-after all, we have to compare our honorary man cards!!!

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirldiver View Post
    Too bad about the 4th-I always work at a boy scout fireworks stand that day. Maybe I'll get to catch up with you guys somewhere else-after all, we have to compare our honorary man cards!!!
    Absolutely CowGirl! We still have to decide on a Sunday dive location. Merri and I want to use Sat/Sun to hit the two locations where the most people will be at for us to meet and socialize. We will probably dive Bonne Terre Mines during the week, since they are guided tours and not many local divers will be interested in going.

I'm going to start a new thread for Sat/Sun dive options.
    No one has ever retold valiant stories of logic - for all good stories are driven by emotion and the spirit.

Grouper
    Not that were not interested in Bonne Terre, just can't afford it
    Real men dive with pink dive lights.

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Belew View Post
    Not that were not interested in Bonne Terre, just can't afford it
    Well personally I don't think I can either. :<
    -Merri
    Diving: where swimming with the fishes is a good thing!

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings66 View Post
    I'm not DIR and I don't mind being led around, in fact that's kind of fun sometimes. I also wouldn't say I'll never dive there because one does not know the future, it's just not likely until I can bring the gear I think the dive requires.

Always be prepared is what I say.
    Actually Matt the last time I was there our guide said it was ok to carry a back up light, JUST DON'T TURN IT ON UNLESS THERE IS A SAFETY ISSUE, they made that pretty clear. Most of the guides are easy to get along with & probably wouldn't care what kind of light that you carried as long as it wasn't used (except in case of). Two divers on our last trip were filming (BIG LIGHTS)

We're doing our New Year's weekend dive down there this year. Pricey...Yea but it's a neat dive. After my first trip a couple years ago I said "OK, been there done that, probably never go back", well this will be my 3rd trip. Good thing I'm not a local, huh?

Terry

Grouper
    No, All lights are overhead mounted on the cave wall. It's plenty of light though and it keeps people from going or trying to go where they shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by gNats View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings66 View Post
    My issue with them is mainly one of, I will not under any conditions forgo any gear I consider safety related, and IMO in that environment I consider a light to be a life critical piece of gear. They will not take it from me, thus I will never dive there because I will not bend to their rules and they won't bend to mine.

I get their point, they have a light in the back, and one in the front. All divers are between point A and point B. If a diver in the middle lit up and the tail diver had a problem the diver in lead might not realize it because he's used to knowing the only light behind him is the rear end.

I just do not believe that's safe and so I won't dive there. Besides, my can is part of my weighting and I'll be danged if I'll put on a lead belt.

But, if you can put up with the rules it's a nice dive to do. Good vis, and neat stuff to see. Bring your logbook by the way.
    I was under the impression that the mine had submerged lights (similar to a pool) throughout it. Is this an incorrect understanding?

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wkndbum View Post
    Actually Matt the last time I was there our guide said it was ok to carry a back up light, JUST DON'T TURN IT ON UNLESS THERE IS A SAFETY ISSUE, they made that pretty clear.
    Terry
    I'm glad to see they've relaxed the light requirements. At one time you couldn't even take it with you. But as you said and I mentioned in passing they have it pretty light as is.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information