Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Quarries and Lakes to visit

Barracuda

Recommended Quarries and Lakes to visit

Several members in the Midwest forum have posted recommended dive locations.

Here is the initial list:

Oronogo
    Mermet (several stars)
    Table Rock
    Haigh
    Pennyroyal
    Gilboa
    Bonne Terre (several stars)

Here is a thought.

We plot a driving start/end course that takes us to each quarry/lake. We try not to drive 4-5 hours without stopping at a dive site. Our trip is one large loop that goes south from Toledo-ish area and returns through Illiniois (so we hit Haigh).

A few full days would be spent at the apex of the trip, where Table Rock, Oronogo, and I believe Mermet are located.

These are thoughts. I will also admit I have not "mapped" the dive locations yet.

But it is a started discussion.

Comments?
    Last edited by gNats; 11-14-2008 at 09:06. Reason: 11/14: added highly recommended Bonne Terre to list
    No one has ever retold valiant stories of logic - for all good stories are driven by emotion and the spirit.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by gNats View Post
    Several members in the Midwest forum have posted recommended dive locations.

Here is the initial list:

Oronogo
    Mermet (several stars)
    Table Rock
    Haigh
    Pennyroyal
    Gilboa

Comments?
    I would seriously think about adding Bonne Terre Mine to the list. It is rather expensive and there are mixed opinions as to whether it is worth it or not. However, it is completely unique. At some level a quarry is a quarry is a quarry, but if you are on a road trip to see something different, Bonne Terre seems to qualify.

Haven't done it yet, but I am planning to go there in January. So, I will post my own impressions and opinion if it is worth the money after that.

Megalodon
    Images
    I would second IndyDiver. I dove Bonne Terre about 20 years ago, it was a very interesting and unique experience. I is indeed worth 2 dives if not 3. A dry suit is recommended though.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    I would second IndyDiver. I dove Bonne Terre about 20 years ago, it was a very interesting and unique experience. I is indeed worth 2 dives if not 3. A dry suit is recommended though.
    Edited the list and added Bonne Terre.

I just tried to google the costs, am I correct in understanding that the price is $65 per day / 2 dive minimum? This fee includes dive and tank (no personal tanks allowed).

It also looked as if there were several "spots" or locations, which is being recommended? The West End or Mine?

Thanks for clarifying.

Nat
    No one has ever retold valiant stories of logic - for all good stories are driven by emotion and the spirit.

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    I know that you gals are planning a MO dive-road trip, but if you are going all the way down to Tablerock (putting man card away momentarily) then you should drive a few more miles on down to Beaver Lake in Arkansas. )I know there's a joke inthere somewhere, but can't find it without my man-card....) Beaver and Tablerock are similar on conditions and actually part of the same river system. There are cabins for rent very close to the lake, and Eureka Springs is a few miles away along a very curvey, beautiful mountain road. Eureka is nice little town, that has kept all it's victorian charm (even the McD's is victorian). Lot's of shopping and little restaurants and art galleries are tucked away everywhere.

And don't forget that Branson is right outside of Tablerock. I know it is known as the Mormon's Vegas, but it's not that bad. Again, lots of shopping, lots of shows (if you're into that... I never was) and other cool stuff to see. The Butterfly palace up on top of the hill at the edge of town is really cool to see to. and if you go you HAVE to ride the 3-story go-cart track. It's awesome!

Ehhhh, ahhhhh (fishing out man card again) BEER, yeah, beer is good! Where's my speargun? HUNTING!!!
    Last edited by fire diver; 11-14-2008 at 12:40.
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post

I just tried to google the costs, am I correct in understanding that the price is $65 per day / 2 dive minimum? This fee includes dive and tank (no personal tanks allowed).

It also looked as if there were several "spots" or locations, which is being recommended? The West End or Mine?

Thanks for clarifying.

Nat
    Yeah, Bonneterre is expensive. That price is what keeps most divers out of it (that and the fact that it's a hand-hold dive). If I lived closer, or just happened to be in the area anyway, I would probably do it once. But for me it's not worth the cost of gas to get there and costs of the dives if that were my only reason to go.

Many people who wouldn't ever go back to Bonneterre still say it's worth it to do at least once. So I think it's a good inclusion to your trip.
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Grouper

Thanks for clarifying.

Nat
    Cost - $65.00 per Dive - Includes tank and air. 2 Dive Minimum (Personal tanks not allowed)
    Nitrox 32: $10.00 Per Dive extra

So you are in for $130 minimum pp.

West End Diving is the name of the dive shop/company that owns Bonne Terre Mine. The shop is on the west side of St. Louis. The mine itself, where you go diving, is south of the city about 25 miles or so from the shop. So, you would just drive straight to the mine (Bonne Terre) and stay in a hotel there, and never go to the shop (West End Diving).

Guppy
    If ya have a list of Quarries ya gotta include Dutch Springs!!!
    Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by fire diver View Post
    I know that you gals are planning a MO dive-road trip, but if you are going all the way down to Tablerock (putting man card away momentarily) then you should drive a few more miles on down to Beaver Lake in Arkansas. )I know there's a joke inthere somewhere, but can't find it without my man-card....) Beaver and Tablerock are similar on conditions and actually part of the same river system. There are cabins for rent very close to the lake, and Eureka Springs is a few miles away along a very curvey, beautiful mountain road. Eureka is nice little town, that has kept all it's victorian charm (even the McD's is victorian). Lot's of shopping and little restaurants and art galleries are tucked away everywhere.

And don't forget that Branson is right outside of Tablerock. I know it is known as the Mormon's Vegas, but it's not that bad. Again, lots of shopping, lots of shows (if you're into that... I never was) and other cool stuff to see. The Butterfly palace up on top of the hill at the edge of town is really cool to see to. and if you go you HAVE to ride the 3-story go-cart track. It's awesome!

Ehhhh, ahhhhh (fishing out man card again) BEER, yeah, beer is good! Where's my speargun? HUNTING!!!
    Quick - Drink this leinie... and here is a brat with melted cheese (and hell, what else do guys like?) um, here a, a, a, a, Playboy. Are you feeling okay now?

That should chase away the momentary flood of estrogen you felt by talking about shopping, little restaurants and ART GALLERIES all in one sentence.

Geez, I don't even put those three words in the same sentence at the same time.

Thanks for the wonderfully descriptive prose. I'm sure many of our travelers will appreciate the offerings of those two towns. But, I was the one sitting on a cooler of Blue, remember? Bonfire and beers is all it takes to make this gal smile.

Another location makes the list! Looks like I will be MAPPING this weekend!

Megalodon
    Images
    Speaking of Leinies, will you be smuggling some down this way? Huh? Huh?

Hopefully my schedule will allow me to meet up with you homelanders types (I'm a long-displaced cheddar head...)

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information