Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Divers Supply Trip

Grouper

Divers Supply Trip

Has anyone gone on one of the Divers Supply charters? They are advertising a New Years day trip to the Keys and it looks good. I am interested in knowing if the trips deliver on the promises.

Being at the Marietta store at 0500 is going to take a mighty fine company to get me there. Before I set my alarm what is your opinion of this shop's charters?

Barracuda
    Florida Keys. These trips are for certified divers, open water students & advanced and specialty divers conducting their certification dives. Trip varies on departure and return. This is a great trip to complete your openwater certification on, or for divers of any level. Let us do the driving, you do the diving! Trip includes bus transportation, air fills and tanks, accommodations, and charter fees. Student certification programs and rental equipment packages available.
    For that kind of coin you could drive down here and get a bunch of dives and have some spare change to eat and buy me a beer after

Seriously, I couldn't see the details of the trip from the website but you could do that on your own specially if you find someone to split the cost with you and spend a lot less.

It does sound like fun, however, if you do get a large group of people to go with you! They don't mention how many dives or days are you paying for. I would find out before booking.

Wiz
    3/4 of the Earth are covered by water and 1/4 by land. Clearly God intended us to spend 3 times as much time fishing and diving than mowing the lawn. - Wiz

Grouper
    Sorry, here are the details...trip originates in Marietta Georgia

Trip Schedule:
    December 31 - Wednesday
    Depart Marietta 5 am
    Depart Macon 7 am
    Arrive FL Keys 6 pm
    Celebration
    January 1 - Thursday
    2 Tank Boat Dive 1 pm
    January 2 - Friday
    2 Tank Boat Dive 8 am
    Optional Dive Night Dive TBA
    January 3 - Saturday
    2 Tank Boat Dive 8 am
    Depart 2 pm
    January 4 - Sunday
    ETA Macon 1 am
    ETA Marietta 3 am
    Trip Fee Includes: Transportation, 3 Night Lodging, 3 Dive Boat Charters (Tanks and Air fills are provided). Your only expenses are your personal entertainment and meals. All taxes are reflected in the trip fees. Due to reservation demands it is necessary to make your trip reservation early, space is limited.
    Diver $599 double occupancy
    Options:
    Single room Add $210
    Non Diver Deduct $180
    Nitrox fills Add $8 per tank Optional Night Dive Add $60

Barracuda
    That's actually not bad when you consider each dive trip average price in The Keys is $50 to $60 w/o tanks and lodging around $80 to $100 a night on the cheap side. And I doubt you could find that rate during those dates!

Best of all you don't have to drive the long boring trip down FLA.
    Sounds like a very happy new year party to me.
    3/4 of the Earth are covered by water and 1/4 by land. Clearly God intended us to spend 3 times as much time fishing and diving than mowing the lawn. - Wiz

Grouper
    That's the point, it sounds great. I was hoping to find someone with experience at this LDS. My last trip through another shop was a "great" deal until I paid and did not get near what was promised.

Barracuda Founding Member
    well the benefits of this trip are:

1.) you don't have to drive or fly. they go on bus
    2.) no rental car needed compared to if you flew
    3.) you get in an extra day of diving because you're not flying. (you dive on your last day there).

for $599 it is a great deal because it includes transportation. my LDS did a Key largo trip a couple years ago that didn't include the bus and we had to fly on our own and it cost $600 bucks. plus a rental car.

of course I don't know what hotel they use. there are some nice hotels in Key Largo and some dumps.

However for $599, if I lived in ATL area, I'd be hopping on this trip.

BTW... there is some other Dive Shop in the north atlanta area that does similar bus trips.... can't remember it's name though.
    Last edited by mike_s; 11-20-2008 at 09:59.

Barracuda
    If you can find out where you will be staying and which dive op they are using I may be able to give you some more info.

There are just too many charters and hotels down there it's hard to tell.

TadPole
    I just looked into doing a trip with them (Jacksonville store) over Thanksgiving. They are staying in Taviner Island at either the Tropic Vista or Keys Motel. This particular trip didn't include transportation (cost 399). Was considering this trip with my girlfriend (non-diver), but figured it would be roughly $1500 for the entire trip (gas, food, etc) and the hotels are not that nice. The room rates are $109 and $119 (weekends).

I don't mind sleeping in a not-so-nice motel, but the reviews on the interwebs played a major role since my girlfriend doesn't dive, and would be spending her day lounging around the pool, sipping a daiquiri, and reading a book.

Also, figure in a night dive for an extra $55.

All and all, I would like to take a trip though them, but could easily save a lot of money by adding an extra diver in my car to split the bills, and scheduling my own charters.

Now, If I was single and without a dive buddy to split the bills... I would be in the car lickety-split.

If you do go, let us know how it goes!

Edit: Oh Snap... they driving you from Georgia?!? That's a great deal! I was gonna have to drive from Chucktown all the way there on my own dime. Would cost, what... about $250-300 in gas alone, plus $350 for the room, plus $300 for the charters.... pshhh.... if they drove me, I'd be there with or without my girlfriend
    Last edited by Gumby; 11-20-2008 at 17:24.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by chicken View Post
    Has anyone gone on one of the Divers Supply charters? They are advertising a New Years day trip to the Keys and it looks good. I am interested in knowing if the trips deliver on the promises.

Being at the Marietta store at 0500 is going to take a mighty fine company to get me there. Before I set my alarm what is your opinion of this shop's charters?
    If I remember correctly, they stop at some of their other shops along the way (specifically Macon), so anyone who lives south of Atlanta wouldn't have to get up quite so early.

The Macon store is much nicer than the ones in Marietta and NE Atlanta (Doraville?).

Grouper Founding Member
    If your going, your late! I joined a group trip acouple of years ago. The trip was Venice Beach dives and I was working around Brunswick so it was easier to just drive to Venice, then to drive back to Atlanta to catch van to go to Florida. I enjoyed the trip nice group. All range of divers exp to newbies, stayed at nice hotel. I have to say that I was glad that I drove myself. The Diver Supply van was packed full of divers(not the way I like to travel).
    Dave

lone : solitary : sole,only : isolated
    frogman : a swimmer equipped to work underwater for long periods of time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information