Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: abdominal exercises

Grouper

abdominal exercises

Does anyone have any exercises for babdominals for people with bad backs. I cant do crunches or sit ups anymore,

jimmy

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Try reverse crunches. Lie on your back, hands on the floor kind of along your side. Then bend your knees up toward your chest, then crunch your butt off the ground like you are trying to sorta' do a backwards somersault. Crunch up and hold for a second or two - just like normal crunches, exhale when crunching, inhale when going back down.

this keeps your back flat on the floor but still works the ab muscles in much the same way as a crunch.

Grouper
    See a physical therapist and ask for some core exercises. The therapist can recommend ones for your specific needs. Below is a link for some if you don't want to see a therapist.
    Slide show: Core exercises - MayoClinic.com

Banned
    I don't know if you've found a routine you're comfortable with yet, but you can try working with an exercise ball or do some pilates.

I was told about 13 years ago to do a number of different exercises to strengthen my back muscles. All were unsuccessful. I was in a sitdown job and it was terrible on my back muscles.
    I started walking, then walking/jogging on grass with many breaks. The back muscles hurt at first but I would just slow to a walk. I am now backpain free 100% and feel like I was 25 with my back muscles. My wife no longer has to put on my shoes for me (it was that bad I could not touch my toes). Keep on going, don't sit down, don't stop, you may waste away.
    I think we are made to walk, run, catch our food etc. etc. There's something good about it.
    TRUST:::Believing in the honesty and integrety of others...He took me into his confidence...

Grouper
    Pilates and yoga are great for the back. Do what you can. Keep at it, and in no time you will be able to do more and more.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Moderator Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    I've mentioned it in another thread before...it sounds juvenile...but get a hula hoop!!! It's a great core workout as well as other muscles in your body.
    If I can't scuba then what's this whole thing about, what am I working toward? - Creed "The Office"

Get a yoga ball, sit on it and start with crunches using good form. Most people tend to "over crunch" by coming up too far. Also watch that your head and back stay straight. Many people curve their spine which is bad form as well. Just use a slight movement leaving the back straight as possible. Crossing your arms over your chest and watching a fixed point on the ceiling can help. In good form, you should feel zero back discomfort doing this.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post
    I've mentioned it in another thread before...it sounds juvenile...but get a hula hoop!!! It's a great core workout as well as other muscles in your body.
    Is that how you got your abs there Mrs Foo? Of course if I ended up as a female I don't know about that. Seems to have a sex change side effect.

I think any exercise like that would help, just plain movement is good for us. I'd start by some walking and work that up into something more vigorous and then add some exercises specifically for the core once you're handling the walking part. I also think the reverse crunch is a good idea as is swimming a lot.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Grouper
    Ditto on the benefits of pilates and yoga, but be really careful and get a good instructor who knows what they're doing...your gym may have suggestions. Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information