Thread: What gear to bring to Mexico in Jan 09

Barracuda
    Images

What gear to bring to Mexico in Jan 09

I am getting ready for my first trip to Playa and Cozumel for my first blue water drive trip, I know the area fairly well and have snorkeled there before. I tried to gather everything to gather that I will need for diving.
    Including safety equipment.

Here is my list so far
    Regulator with Octo and Wisdom II Computer.
    SS BP & 30 lbs Oxcycheq Mach V Wing and Harness
    Xsuba Weight Belt.
    5 Mil boots and Fins.
    3 Mil one piece Henderson Wet Suit
    Mask.

Other Stuff
    Dan SMB Includes Signal Mirror, whistle and light stick
    ELed 40 Backup Light
    Qxycheq Raider III/IV with Hand Sock Primary Light
    Dive Rite Hip Pocket
    Small Slate with Compass
    ST Dive Repair Tool
    Glo Toob Light for Night Dive.
    Bare Neo Beanie
    Reef Gloves
    Dive Rite Z-knife /Line Cutter
    Backup Computer Aries Manta Wrist Mount
    Extra Prescription Mask
    Snorkel
    XScuba Weight Pouches on Tank straps.
    Cannon Camera with underwater case with 10 Gigs of memory sticks.
    Small Personnel Computer to keep in touch, Picture Storage and profile downloading.

Repair Stuff
    Extra Battery for Both Computers
    I have Spring straps on my fins so no extra straps.
    Extra Mask Strap
    I figure they will have O-Ring if I need one.
    Extra Octo Holder
    Extra Snorkel Holder

I understand that dive knives are restricted from most dive sites so I was leaving mine at home

Also thinking about getting a Dive Rite Jon Line since I new diver and would help on the safety stops and let me practice hovering during my stops without worry about shooting to the surface.

Not sure if I going to use a weight belt or put the DiveRite weight pockets on my BP/Wing.

Any suggestions from the vets?
    - Dennis ><()))">

Grouper
    I would leave the gloves at home, you can't wear them in Cozumel anyway.

A small dry bag is nice to have on the boat to keep your wallet, sunglasses/hat dry.

Lots of smaller billls for tips.

I would bring the o-rings, just a small $5 oring kit could save a dive and hardly takes up any weight or room.

Nobody complained about my dive knife on the two trips I was there. You are taking way more spares than I did. Maybe I've been lucky.

The guys on the boat had lots of O-rings. As they're supplying the tanks it kind of makes them responsible for that part. They're not much extra weight, though.

Barracuda
    Images
    Forgot I bring a mesh bag for the boat and a dry bag for my log book and etc.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Grouper

Leave the speargun. Take the cannoli.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    Also thinking about getting a Dive Rite Jon Line since I new diver and would help on the safety stops and let me practice hovering during my stops without worry about shooting to the surface.
    I don't think a Jon Line would be that helpful. Most of the dives you'll be doing in Cozumel are drift dives. At the end of the dive, the DM will shoot an SMB during the safety stop. I don't think he'll be too happy if you try to hook into his SMB line.
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    Not sure if I going to use a weight belt or put the DiveRite weight pockets on my BP/Wing.
    You're diving a SS BP with a 3mm wetsuit. How much lead will you need to carry? With that rig, some divers are optimally weighted without any additional lead. You may need a few pounds to be optimally weighted. A weight belt with minimal weight (~6 lbs.) on it would still be very comfortable and provide ditchable weight.
    Another option is to dive a balanced rig with no ditchable weight. Instead of ditchable weight pockets, you can load additional weight into the XS Scuba tank camband weight pouches. Putting the lead there would probably make it easier to trim out.

As others have recommended, leave the dive gloves at home. Although knives are prohibited in Cozumel, the Zeagle Z-knife is probably OK since it doesn't look like a knife. EMT shears make a nice alternative cutting tool.

Have a great time!
    Last edited by bubbletrubble; 12-09-2008 at 18:01.

Barracuda
    Images
    dubbletrubble

Gloves are staying home and the Jon line is out to.

I have never used a SS BP/Wing before so I donít know how much weight I will need. I was using a DiveRite TransPac with 12lbs of weight, AL80 and Apollo fins and Iím 230 lbs at 6í2Ē. Just trying to figure out a starting point I figure I can drop two pounds going from the TransPac to SS BP so that 10lbs. The plate weights 6.2lbs so another 6 lbs off makes 4lbs on the belt. Now that is fresh water so another 6lbs for saltwater puts it back at 10lbs on the belt. The Apollo are about 4lbs negative in the water and going to Atomics Smokes that are positive in the water so I have no idea what the affect of that is going to be. There is also the Raider light and Ĺ lbs. What I plan to do is put 4lbs on my belt and jump in the pool and see where Iím at. My first few dives will be in Playa will be shallow dives with Dive Master to get everything sorted out Ė not going to ruin insta-buddy dive by not knowing what Iím doing.

Think I have enough issues going on...
    - Dennis ><()))">

Grouper
    I always take gloves with me in case the small jelly fish are stinging. Its hard to enjoy a dive with your hands on fire.
    This time of year you might not have a problem with jellies but I'd carry them anyway. I've also worn them to keep warm, nobody seemed to have a problem with me wearing them.

Grouper
    @CWSWine: Your calculations for weighting requirements with the new rig are in the right ballpark. Remember that there's no substitute for doing a proper weight check.
    It would be a good idea to get in the pool before your trip to figure out weighting needs (taking into consideration the higher density of salt water) and also to become familiar with your new dive gear. Just because gear is new doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to be 100% functional, right? :-) BTW, make sure to rinse your gear well in fresh water after the pool dive. Chlorine can really destroy dive gear.

If you find that you do need 10 pounds of lead, I'd recommend distributing some of it on your tank cambands (in those nifty XS Scuba pockets) and the rest of it on a ditchable weight belt -- maybe 4 on cambands and 6 on the belt. Experiment with weight distribution to help you achieve good trim.

FYI, at the end of a dive many Cozumel boats ask divers to hand up weights, BC, and fins - in that order. Then, you simply climb aboard. You might want to warn them that your BC will be slightly heavier than a traditional jacket BC minus integrated-weight pockets. I'm sure it won't be a big deal, though.

Grouper Founding Member
    If you do a wreck, or Cenote, then gloves are allowed, and even advised, but not on the coral.
    dannybot

Thread Information