Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thailand info sought

Funeral Jorunna

Thailand info sought

I'm considering a dive trip to Thailand and was wondering if anybody has been and had any recommendations. I'd like to do a 7-10 day live aboard out of Phuket in the Feb/March time frame. Might also spend some time on Phuket so dive resorts there would also help out.
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

TadPole
    Having lived (and dived) here a few years we usually book our liveaboards with Sea Dragons http://www.seadragondivecenter.com/ . They have cheap but nice boats and the owner is very professional, although some of their divemasters aren't. I also recommend Sea Bees http://www.sea-bees.com/, they have one of the nicest boats on the island but are a little more expensive than their competition. The people at the Kata branch usually book you on the South Siam Divers http://www.southsiamdivers.com/ boat but the staff there are much more friendly than their main branch. I have been on the boat and it's very good but I have yet to experience their main diving staff. AFAIK they are good.

Funeral Jorunna
    Thanx I'll give those boats some research. Another diver I know said he had heard Mermaid was also nice do you know anything good/bad about them?
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Shark
    I was thinking of going a couple of years ago (cannot find my folder). If you are going to do any land base diving I understand Krabi is much better than Phuket. From everything I have heard is the only real good diving is out in the Similan Islands on a liveaboard. From what I understand last year the goverment revalued their currancy against the $....now it is a few more $$$

TadPole
    Images
    I have dove Pattaya and have been to Phuket several times. Phuket is nice, hotels are cheap unless you want to stay at a really nice (American or European hotel). The local hotels can be just as nice as the other more expensive ones. $50 a night will get you a really nice place. Baht rate is floating around 30 to the dollar right and goes a very long way over there. The people are super friendly, I don't think I have met a friendlier group of people anywhere. The beach is nice and there is a ton to do.
    If it is anything like Pattaya the rates are fairly standardized. But drop them an email and see if they offer packages or will make one for you. Pattaya runs about $70 bucks for boat dives and it includes lunch and I do mean a lunch.
    For airline tickets check out www.asia.com they have the cheapest tickets with exception of directly to China Airlines site. www. asiarooms and also asia.com have rooms. I usually check out the rates there and then check the hotels website.
    There is a Mermaids out of Pattaya and I have dove with them a couple times and will dive with them when I head there in December. Real professional, diving was good, and dm's were good.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chinacat46 View Post
    Thanx I'll give those boats some research. Another diver I know said he had heard Mermaid was also nice do you know anything good/bad about them?
    Scuba instructor at our dive club did his IDC with them and says they're great :-)
    Bill
    Just killing time during my surface interval ;-)
    "If it's too cold for a 3mm, it's cold enough for a drysuit!"

TadPole
    Try Pattaya Dive Centre on Beach Road (www.divecentrepattya.com)
    They just got a new fast boat and it's not bad. I dive with them all the time

There are no "real" dive resorts as you may know them from the Caribbean. Find a cheap place on Asia.com or other online site, book it for like your first 3 nights and then Find a place you like locally in Phuket either Kata or Patong. Patong seems to have nice cheap places you can negotiate the price if you don't need a ocean front hotel and are ok walking a few minutes then you can get a nice room for less than $20 a night. use your negotiating skills. I dove with Sunrise divers over there and they are nice, nice staff and boats. The prices seem to be the same amongst all dive shops around US$70 a boat trip with 2-3 dives. Food is provided on the boat. Go and dive Similan on your live aboard and do a day trip out to Phi Phi. You can also dive the King Cruiser wreck. Plan at least a 2 week trip.

TadPole
    Images
    We did a 4 day live aboard in Feb 2007 with West Coast Divers. Their shop is in Phuket with free pick-up at the Phuket Airport and most hotels. Their dock is about a 45-60 min ride from Phuket. Nice size boat, great crew. The only thing is they only have 4 day outings.

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by chinacat46 View Post
    I'm considering a dive trip to Thailand and was wondering if anybody has been and had any recommendations. I'd like to do a 7-10 day live aboard out of Phuket in the Feb/March time frame. Might also spend some time on Phuket so dive resorts there would also help out.

I just came back from a Thailand/Phuket trip, and will be going back next Feb/March as well, with a few friends. The plan is to do a decent liveaboard trip to the Similans.
    Last trip was just girl and I doing daytrips out of Chalong Bay, for our AOWs...
    You won't find a dive resort there, but all the companies will pick you up at your hotel of choice.

After talking to local DM/instructors we got info for Sea Dragon, and will hook up with them for our next trip.

For the best daytrip rates, check out Seaking. Phuket Liveaboard Diving Thailand - Sea King Divers Thailand - Dive Similan Islands - Diving Phi Phi Islands & Hin Daeng Small operation, an expat Brit booking space out with West Coast Divers. Good DM/instructors, had a blast.
    You ever notice the best things in life all start with the letter B?
    Hooray for: Beer, Bikes, Boats, Boobies, and Bacon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information