Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Size DOES Matter

Barracuda
    Images

Size DOES Matter

I was in my local Wally World a couple of days ago to pick up some ice tea. Found it on the shelf at the same price I am used to paying so I dropped it in my cart and carried on. It was only when I got home that I noticed the manufacturer had reduced the package from a 12 pack to a 10 pack. I started to pay attention to this and see that a number of packages have done the same. Others have gone from a 24 to a 20 pack. In most cases without a price drop for the package, so there has been a price INCREASE of about 20% per unit. Sneaky, stealthy, and slimy way to shaft the consumer.

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Nice, you actually found a way to put the word "Shaft" into a post called "Size DOES matter".

I agree with your post. The fact is this happens all the time but it is easier to see when the product comes in individual units like the Tea. It is harder to catch with cereal, chips, dressings, ect............

An interesting example is the world famous McDonald's .99 Double Cheese Burger.... Micky D's will be taking this item from the value menu soon and raise the price and then replacing it on the value menu with a new item "The McDouble" with one slice of cheese vs. two. By doing this they will save .06 per unit and increase their profit an estimated $15,000 per US store.........
    DevilDiver

Grouper
    I've noticed similar reductions...A huge sign of the economic times...I guess they think that people would rather pay the same and get less..

Long Tailed Thresher Shark

It absolutely does matter~

This has been a well publicized strategy that food companies are using to make it in this economy. They have been doing it since food prices started going up many months ago. All packaging and portions have gotten smaller. Hey, as long as we all march forward as informed consumers, I'm just happy that the food companies aren't knocking on my door asking me for some more of my tax money to bail them out.

There is no such thing as a company which is not affected by the economy. I work in health care, but 60 percent of our revenues are from Europe and the Euro is beaten up right now. So we are wondering if we are getting to keep our jobs here in the US. Supposedly we are in the "recession proof" business too.

I personally don't buy hardly anything in packages, I'm one of those granola eat local, eat fresh types.

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulubelle View Post
    This has been a well publicized strategy that food companies are using to make it in this economy. They have been doing it since food prices started going up many months ago. All packaging and portions have gotten smaller.
    Portions yes... packaging not so much, only the contents has been shrunk. Another of there well known methods.
    Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance. ~Sam Brown

Grouper Founding Member
    To continue with what Devildiver started- Empacher -" noticed similar reductions" - Lulubelle "portions have gotten smaller" - wheelman "packaging not so much" and "contents has been shrunk" . Oh im going to have fun with this one.
    "The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead." Albert Einstein

Grouper
    Images
    Well in my defense the water was REALLY cold.
    Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance. ~Sam Brown

Long Tailed Thresher Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelman View Post

Portions yes... packaging not so much, only the contents has been shrunk. Another of there well known methods.
    Go measure a cereal box, the packages are also smaller. Maybe not enough that you would notice it without taking the time to really notice them.

SIZE DOES MATTER dudes.

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulubelle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelman View Post

Go measure a cereal box, the packages are also smaller. Maybe not enough that you would notice it without taking the time to really notice them.

SIZE DOES MATTER dudes.
    It makes sense that the packaging would not shrink too often - all their machinery is geared for handling boxes of size AxBxC. It would probably be costly to re-configure the cutters and shapers to smaller sizes. Easier to print the packages with a smaller contents size and put less in the same size box. Besides, as Wheelman said, maybe the consumers won't notice. When was the last time you checked the contents weight on a bag of chips? Doritos has gone from a 300gram to 275 gram to 250 gram contents in the original sized bag. (Gee, look at how generous they are with their air! Thanks, guys!)

Guppy
    It is a current trend, also notice how the package looks the same but, they modify it and it has less in it, for example peanut butter jars that are the same size except the new jars are concave at the bottom instead of flat thus it appears to be the same but, in fact it has less product.Personally I think this is fraudulent but, I digress. If you want you have to take the time to compare between products as they sure aren't not going to advertise it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information