Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Girl spearfishers

Long Tailed Thresher Shark

Girl spearfishers

Ladies,

Any of you spearfishing? I haven't seen any posts to that effect. I'm just wondering if the equipment is easy to manage for a woman or if the spears are sized in order to find one that would work for a woman. I'm pretty strong.

I'm not the least bit interested in hunting just to hunt. I just like really fresh fish and sometimes find myself wishing I could bring one in from my dives.

I could never clean them, but in Morehead/Atlantic beach, there are places where you can take your catch and have them prepped for a few cents a pound.

Just curious.

Lulubelle

Barracuda Founding Member
    I find women spearfishing even more rare than female tech divers. In fact, the only one I know is Muggsy over on Scubaboard. You might want to PM her over there.

BTW, I hear that lionfish are good eats

Barracuda ST-Forum Mod dallasdivergirl's Avatar
    I know there are a couple of spear fishing forums. Splitlip and ScottZeagle are both members.

I think this is the correct one spearboard

I know there are some jbl slings that you should have no problems with.

How tall are you?
    Sparky the ninjita
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

http://beautybelow.com/

Quote Originally Posted by georoc01 View Post
    I find women spearfishing even more rare than female tech divers. In fact, the only one I know is Muggsy over on Scubaboard. You might want to PM her over there.

BTW, I hear that lionfish are good eats
    But I am indeed a rare girl, so maybe?

Too bad lionfish aren't good eats, there seem to be a lot of them in NC waters these days.

But it kills me to see all of these great grouper, tuna, wahoo, etc under there, come up and go out and pay a fortune for a dinner of fresh locally caught fish! Much of what is in the inexpensive restaurants is farm raised or foreign caught. People will advertise "fresh" fish which has been in the freezer for eons. The places that do serve true local catch are pricey. I buy from a place that get daily catches in from local ops, but how much better would it be to prepare some fish that came out of the water 2 hours ago!

Thanks for the tip. I'll contact her.

Quote Originally Posted by dallasdivergirl View Post
    I know there are a couple of spear fishing forums. Splitlip and ScottZeagle are both members.

How tall are you?
    Hi Dallas, 5'10" barefoot. Pretty strong these days too!

Quote Originally Posted by Lulubelle View Post

How tall are you?
    jbl has a 6 foot and 6 foot 8 inch travel spears you would probably want to check out.

I am sure there are many much more experienced spear fishers on spear board that can steer you in the right direction.
    Sparky the ninjita

How tall are you?
    jbl has a 6 foot and 6 foot 8 inch travel spears you would probably want to check out.

I am sure there are many much more experienced spear fishers on spear board that can steer you in the right direction.
    Dallas, I know NOTHING at this point. I probably won't travel with a spear, too much trouble to cart the fish. I'm just thinking I'd like to fish near Morehead and the spear would just live there. BTW, you have to come up sometime to dive with me in Morehead. Free lodgings! Spartan and simple lodgings, but free.

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member

How tall are you?
    Nice...

Dallasdivegirl speaks the truth. If you see this flag
    you are in the presence of some awsome female spearos.

They are located in FLA, but would be happy to talk to you. I have been in the water with a couple. Highly skilled.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

How tall are you?

Dallas, I know NOTHING at this point. I probably won't travel with a spear, too much trouble to cart the fish. I'm just thinking I'd like to fish near Morehead and the spear would just live there. BTW, you have to come up sometime to dive with me in Morehead. Free lodgings! Spartan and simple lodgings, but free.
    I will have to come visit. one of my buddies lives in Carboro (sp?) and I promised to go to the wedding next year.

I don't have your height but I do have your same skinny leg with boot problem ((there are some sweet steve madden tall boots with buckles to adjust to calf size) please forgive highjack).

I would like to learn to spear fish but I am afraid of the catfish the size of vw beetles in lake texoma.
    Sparky the ninjita

I will have to come visit. one of my buddies lives in Carboro (sp?) and I promised to go to the wedding next year.

I don't have your height but I do have your same skinny leg with boot problem ((there are some sweet steve madden tall boots with buckles to adjust to calf size) please forgive highjack).

I would like to learn to spear fish but I am afraid of the catfish the size of vw beetles in lake texoma.
    Do come visit, I live in Raleigh full time and the beach whenever I can. I did my time in Chapel Hill so I know Carrboro well.

Dallas, hijacks always allowed for shoe topics. Please send a pic of the Steve Madden boots. I just created some new room in my shoe closet as you know

I am keen on the spearfishing too, but need some more time as just a diver first I think. I'm only after smallish grouper, tuna, wahoo, etc. Seems a shame to go dive and then go out to a nice place and pay 40 plus for my dinner.

Merry Christmas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information