Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Why did you decide to start solo diving?

I enjoy solo diving as well it is very calming and i go at my owne pace. just start slow and work within your limets

TadPole
    I dive solo mostly because I have been in the water with too many dive buddies that are more scary than diving alone. I dive allot and am very comfortable with my skills and my equipment. Even when I am diving in a group such as on a liveaboard etc. I get off by myself so that I can enjoy my dive.

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member
    I have some pretty firm personal rules about solo diving:

I only do it when I'm not diving with a buddy.
    I only do it in known locations, unless I am exploring.
    I don't violate NDL limits, unless I intend to go into deco.
    I only solo with new gear, unless I going vintage.
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Grouper
    I dive solo because I dont have any buddies than can go at the same time, always something going on. I feel more comfortable depending on myself, I guess when you are in a burning building and you turn around and your partner is gone becuase it got too hot!!! Then I dont want to be left alone underwater. I know my equipment and I practice and I am comfortable with it. If you dont see any more posts from me one day then you know the good lord had other plans for me.... I do not do any deco or anything to really get in over my head yes I dive in water over my head though, lol. I believe in a pony tank 30ft so I have a good safety margin. It has not been used once since I got it 96, thank goodness or God.
    Lets see, to dive or not to dive? Well that is a stupid question, DIVE, DIVE, DIVE, and then DIVE some more as long as it is safe!!!!!

TadPole
    I started diving solo when my dive buddy fail to come because something else came up or "I don't fill like it" excuse. I found another D.B. but this guy is nuts so I have to sever the ties before he kills me.

I dive at 2 know locations from shore and you should see the look on the faces of a new class when I come out of the water alone, the last time someone ask me where is my buddy and I replied "a great white just took him, be careful down there he still hungy today."

I am bless to own my own new equipment and I did pay attention in my OWD course, to top it off I have read lots of aticles on the internet about solo diving and I feel comfortable in the water, navigation skills that I learned in my 10 years of army service and feel more at ease alone that with a nut case underwater.

Grouper
    I dive almost exclusively solo. The reason is simple. I'm selfish. I don't want to follow someone or babysit (read, keep track of buddies remaining air or buddy him/herself). I want the freedom to swim where I want, when I want, and look at what I want without the interference of having to keep track of a buddy. I trust my redundant independant air supply as well as other redundant equipment far more than a buddies ability to bail me out in an emergency. I admit I'm selfish, but the expense of travel, accomodations, dive package, and transportation make me want to enjoy my dives to the fullest. Being tied to a buddy seriously detracts from my enjoyment so I almost always dive solo.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Frogman View Post
    "If you start a dive as a team you should finish as a team."
    I'm calling BS. If you agree ahead of time it's fine. Dogma sucks and can get you into deep buswah.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    5' of water can kill you as easy as 200'.
    Bushwah. Yes, if you inhale in water, depth doesn't matter - way too simplistic - a tablespoon of water inhailed can kill. 200 feet is way beyond recreational depth for a reason. The very serious danger requires serious technical training and special equipment. Moreover, you can stand up in 5' of water.

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    Bushwah. Yes, if you inhale in water, depth doesn't matter - way too simplistic - a tablespoon of water inhailed can kill. 200 feet is way beyond recreational depth for a reason. The very serious danger requires serious technical training and special equipment. Moreover, you can stand up in 5' of water.
    For arguements sake, you're in 5' of water that's got a lot of fishing line in it - say you're doing a little dock dive at the lake. 5' of water and your entangled if you can't get untangled, you are still in serious trouble. Under normal circumstances, no, 5' is not a big problem, but add a significant variable it can and is. It's when you can't stand up that the 5' of water can kill you. It's when there are obstructions between you and the surface that the 5' can kill you. Not to mention that there's a good chance of developing barotrauma if you don't exhale that last breath off the reg at 5' - okay, the barotrauma might not kill you, but it's going to cause you a major hurt for a while.

I've known folks that got in trouble in 5' of water...a local recovery team has more body recoveries in 5' of water that any other depth. The fact is and IMHO shall remain if you're not extremely comfortable in the water and can not handle any emegerncy that presents itself, solo is a bad idea.

I will stay with may original statement: 5' of water can kill as easy as 200' of water.

I know for a fact though that it takes more than a tablespoon of inhaled. When I was 10 and started snorkelling, I inhaled at least a pint or two the first couple of times I tried clearing a snorkel....

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    For arguements sake, you're in 5' of water that's got a lot of fishing line in it - say you're doing a little dock dive at the lake. 5' of water and your entangled if you can't get untangled, you are still in serious trouble.

It's when there are obstructions between you and the surface that the 5' can kill you.

Not to mention that there's a good chance of developing barotrauma if you don't exhale that last breath off the reg at 5'.

I will stay with may original statement: 5' of water can kill as easy as 200' of water.

I know for a fact though that it takes more than a tablespoon of inhaled. When I was 10 and started snorkelling, I inhaled at least a pint or two the first couple of times I tried clearing a snorkel

First, even a gill net isn't going to keep me from standing up in 5'. Even braided line won't. It may cut my skin but I WILL stand up. Moreover two line cutting tools (or more) are mandatory for solo diving. Realistically, if you get tangled you weren't careful enough. If you can't cut yourself out you don't have the proper equipment.

Second, overhead obstructions (dives with hard overhead) are forbidden in solo diving. Doing even the most minor penetration when diving solo is plainly stupid.

Barotrauma - surely you jest. 5' is 1/6th of an atmosphere. Barotrauma only if you take the deepest breath of your life and don't exhale. Anyway, if you haven't developed the habit of continuous breathing you have no business diving, solo or buddied up.

You can stick with what ever you want. Everyone is entitled to their own OPINION. What you are not entitled to is your own FACTS. Fact - you can't get narked at 5', you can't get bent at 5' feet, you can't get oxygen poisoning at 5'. Need I say more?

Dude, if you got a pint of water IN your lungs let alone two you're dead. Your statement is nonsense, medically.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread Information