Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Why did you decide to start solo diving?

Megalodon
    Images
    1. MY point is just that: There are situations that you can get into IF you are not prepared for them in 5' of water that If you panic, WILL kill you! To a diver who is prepared, to a diver who is comfortable in the water, who is aware of his surroundings will not have a problem. It's the diver who is not prepared, does not have the comfort level who is not following the rules that can get into trouble: A guy is working on his dock, he is solo and using a hooka, his line tangles and he drowns-in 5' of water. It can and does happen. Hence my original statement: "5' of water can kill..." Grant you maybe not as easily as 200', but it can kill you.

2. Barotrauma can occur at 5'. Yes. Will it happen every time? No. Can it happen? Yes. Have I seen it happen? Yes. A new diver candidate in a pool setting doing an adventure scuba. He did take a full breath in about 5' of water and he did hold his breath and he did stand up. He was transported to a local hospital with a simple pneumothorax. Contributing factors: Tall skinny male of 18 years old. It was found he had a bleb on a lung that burst. Was he a spontaneous pneumothorax risk prior? Yes, but nontheless, it has happened and would not have happened had he not held his breath. (the reason he stood up is his maks flooded and he paniced.)

Fact: It's not the 1/6th ata that is the problem, it's the specific 1/6th, the first 33' this is where the greatest amount of expansion in any given 5' of depth. I would venture to say that if you're at 105 and ascend 100' on a held breath you will have no effects what so ever:

The volume change is less than 4% from 105 to 100 (61.47psi to 59.25psi), whereas it's 15+% from 5' to surface (16.9272psi to 14.7psi) . It's not the PSI change (2.2272psi), it's the % expansion that is the issue; 3.76% increase for 5' at 100' and 15.15% for 5' to the surface. Fact not opinoin. This was explained to me in the first OW course I took and has stuck with me - the proof offered to me then by a very reputable instructor stayed with me, I merely conveyed that information

3. Look at the smilie at the end of my sentence:
    When I was 10 and started snorkelling, I inhaled at least a pint or two the first couple of times I tried clearing a snorkel....
    it usually denotes that someone is joking....

And you're right: You can't get narc'd at 5' (don't think I said that...) You can't get Ox tox at 5' (ditto) You can't get a DCS at 5' (ditto again)

My reason for the original post was a self-admitted new diver making solo dives. My post was intended to help him make good decisions and hopefully make it from being a new diver to an experienced diver without showing up on the evening news as a diver injured or dead.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    Grant you maybe not as easily as 200', but it can kill you.
    Thank you for that. That was my primary objection. Some people would read that and say BS and ignore the danger of not being prepaired. Others might say "I'm OK at 5' so I can dive to 200' safely. I KNOW that's not what you wanted to say - but some macho bozo will take it that way.

And I agree you can die in very shallow water quite easily. It's why I advocate at least studying the SDI Solo Divers Course book before attempting any solo diving. Also, I consider solo snorkeling to be nearly as dangerous as solo diving if the snorkeler leaves the surface and goes deep. An emergency at 20-30 feet with no air source is a recipe for dead. Even snorkeling I always carry a pony. Never can tell.

Barotrauma can occur at 5'. Yes. Will it happen every time? No. Can it happen? Yes. Have I seen it happen? Yes. A new diver candidate in a pool setting doing an adventure scuba. He did take a full breath in about 5' of water and he did hold his breath and he did stand up. He was transported to a local hospital with a simple pneumothorax. Contributing factors: Tall skinny male of 18 years old. It was found he had a bleb on a lung that burst. Was he a spontaneous pneumothorax risk prior? Yes, but nontheless, it has happened and would not have happened had he not held his breath. (the reason he stood up is his maks flooded and he paniced.)
    Yes - personally, when in undergraduate school I had 3 spontaneous pneumothorax in 2 weeks. They finally blew talc into my pleural cavity to scar my lungs and destroy any additional blebs. I got checked by a pulmonary Dr. and pulmonary surgon before taking the OW cert. Though I'm clear I still prepare for that possibility. Don't want to die, don't want anyone to have to bail my butt out.

Fact: It's not the 1/6th ata that is the problem, it's the specific 1/6th, the first 33' this is where the greatest amount of expansion in any given 5' of depth. I would venture to say that if you're at 105 and ascend 100' on a held breath you will have no effects what so ever:

The volume change is less than 4% from 105 to 100 (61.47psi to 59.25psi), whereas it's 15+% from 5' to surface (16.9272psi to 14.7psi) . It's not the PSI change (2.2272psi), it's the % expansion that is the issue; 3.76% increase for 5' at 100' and 15.15% for 5' to the surface. Fact not opinoin. This was explained to me in the first OW course I took and has stuck with me - the proof offered to me then by a very reputable instructor stayed with me, I merely conveyed that information
    Damn - I should have known that. You can't divide depth as a linear progression. Thanks for reminding me. It might save my life sometime.

Look at the smilie at the end of my sentence: it usually denotes that someone is joking....
    DUH - my bad.

My reason for the original post was a self-admitted new diver making solo dives. My post was intended to help him make good decisions and hopefully make it from being a new diver to an experienced diver without showing up on the evening news as a diver injured or dead.
    Yep - I absolutely don't think anyone should consider solo until they are totally comfortable with breathing underwater, have mastered open water skills, have all the required equipment (and it's more than an independant air source) and have studied (at least) or taken the SDI Solo Divers course.

Megalodon
    Images
    That was the point I was making in the original statement Charon, some folks look at 5', 10', 15' or 20' as a safe depth that you can break rules and since it's not that deep, you're safe. If you disrespect even 5' of water, it can kill you.

Familiarity breeds comtempt and contempt can kill you have to maintain a respect and awareness, no matter what.

BTW, SDI solo cert.

Quote Originally Posted by finflippers View Post
    I did that once and after about 4 or 5 dives after her OW she just had no interest in going. But now she is growing my next dive buddy I am counting down the years
    Very cool! Congratulations.

TadPole
    I dive solo because I want to put food on my table and have no one to go with.
    If given the chance, Ill dive with someone / others.

Thanks navyhmc.
    Good info.

TadPole
    Images
    i started diving solo for photography...just makes it easier for me. i don't have to pay attention to what everyone else is doing and i can find the critters that i would probably miss.

Guppy
    I dive solo for a number of reasons. Photography is the main reason these days. Years ago when dive buddies were more rare in NE then clear water, one either divied solo or not at all. I remember when sites that are jam packed with divers these days were pretty much devoid of divers in the 60's-early 70's. So ya sucked it up and dived. Then there are the SCUBA police types which is why most of my solo dives are night dives, when these types are in bed. Nothing irks me more then some youngster preaching to me about safe diving. Where's your buddy? Where's your dive flag? Hey kid where's your Momma? Does she know your out here making a PITA out or yourself? Solo diving is peaceful and pleasent.

Megalodon
    Images
    I run into a few of the dive cops, but usually when I tell them I have a solo sertification, that usually quiets them down. After that I don't worry about it. Though, most of the time, I find that they become curious about the whole solo diving "thing". I can honestly understand the issue a bit as we have been hammered so to speak with the buddy system from the first pool session - in some cases, even before that. So a diver enteringthe water solo is an anomoly for most divers.

Guppy
    I stated solo diving doing diving jobs. After a while I just didn't give much thought to being underwater alone. Thru the years I've added gear and learned a few things that keep me safe and alive. I don't know how many solo dives I have but, I'd guess >800. I've never run into an op that gave me a hard time about solo diving after seeing >2000 total logged dives. The local ops all know me and don't give my solo diving a second thought. While diving with the last non-local (NC) OP, I had equipment trouble before one dive and it took a while to sort out. My buddy went in with a couple of other divers. When I was ready I gave the Captain the thumbs up, I was ready to dive. He knew I was going in alone but never said a word. No I'm not solo certified.

TadPole
    Hmmm I'm not a solo diver and probably never will be with lakes being the exception. Myself and 2 others were night diving the "Palace Wall" in Guam one evening. The plan was to kick/turtle out about 500 yards from shore where the top of the wall started at 60 ft deep and the shallowest part of the bottom of the wall was 170 ft deep from surface. Anyway after our kick out we planed to drop to 120 ft then work our way back up to 60 ft as a group. Here's what really happened. I dropped down to 120 ft and tooled a bit waiting for my buddies. Soon I realized that they had stayed at the top of the wall at 60 ft and I was swimming parrell to them 60 ft below. I alone, it's dark, wall on my right, pitch black open ocean on my left. Very eerie and the mind starts to mess with ya. Needless to say I didn't stay below them for long.... Up I came. Lol

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread Information