Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Why did you decide to start solo diving?

Guppy
    Images
    I started diving solo almost from the start. My cousin and I bought tanks, regs and a book on how to use them and started diving. He did not stay with it too long so it was just me after that. There were not a lot of divers in 1970 and none that wanted to babysit a 13 year old so I had to dive solo or quite.

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by I-NEED-AIR View Post
    Hmmm I'm not a solo diver and probably never will be with lakes being the exception. Myself and 2 others were night diving the "Palace Wall" in Guam one evening. The plan was to kick/turtle out about 500 yards from shore where the top of the wall started at 60 ft deep and the shallowest part of the bottom of the wall was 170 ft deep from surface. Anyway after our kick out we planed to drop to 120 ft then work our way back up to 60 ft as a group. Here's what really happened. I dropped down to 120 ft and tooled a bit waiting for my buddies. Soon I realized that they had stayed at the top of the wall at 60 ft and I was swimming parrell to them 60 ft below. I alone, it's dark, wall on my right, pitch black open ocean on my left. Very eerie and the mind starts to mess with ya. Needless to say I didn't stay below them for long.... Up I came. Lol
    Danger and terror aside, that sounds like a very interesting experience. Not a lot of people get to "stare into the abyss" alone, as it were.

I have toyed around the idea of diving solo. Kinda hard to find partners around here. However, I don't consider myself experienced enough. Maybe in a few years?
    Rock on, go big or go home, hit the ground running, hang in there kitty... don't eat the yellow snow...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bennerman View Post
    Danger and terror aside, that sounds like a very interesting experience. Not a lot of people get to "stare into the abyss" alone, as it were.

I have toyed around the idea of diving solo. Kinda hard to find partners around here. However, I don't consider myself experienced enough. Maybe in a few years?
    Now that's funny. Hard to find a partner to solo dive with.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    Now that's funny. Hard to find a partner to solo dive with.
    I meant I have considered soloing because finding a partner is hard
    Rock on, go big or go home, hit the ground running, hang in there kitty... don't eat the yellow snow...

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread Information