Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did you decide to start solo diving?

Grouper
    We have a house on a lake at 8,000' with 40 degree water and nobody is dumb enough to dive there with me.

Grouper

Reasons for Diving Alone

1. The Master Diver that accompanied my wife and I during some of our advance training talked about it with me. He made jokes about his speargun being his buddy when diving alone. I dove solo once during my AOW boat dive. It felt strange, but good! Self Reliance!
    2. If I don't have a buddy with similar skills and interests.
    3. I like being alone sometimes (LONER).
    Last edited by cmburch; 03-02-2008 at 08:59.

TadPole
    Northern CA, United States and anywhere I can get wet
    Quote Originally Posted by finflippers View Post
    Why did you decide to start solo diving? How did you know you was ready to venture out on your own?

I started solo diving from a lack of active buddies (when you got to dive you just got to dive).

I have always been very comfortable in the water and good with navigation so deciding to go solo was no big deal for me but i did do my first solo dive in about 10' to 15' of water and worked deeper over time.
    I was in the same "boat". But my first solo dive was a boat-dive, Channel Islands, CA in 60ft w/ 25vis.

I am very comfortable in the water (awkward on land) and I train well in advance for any situation I can think of.

It's not for everyone, but as you said "when you got to dive you just got to dive"!

Dive Safe All!
    DiverJoe
    I haate Stickkkkkky Keyborddds withh bad kees!
    Dive Safe All!

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by DiverJoe View Post
    I was in the same "boat". But my first solo dive was a boat-dive, Channel Islands, CA in 60ft w/ 25vis.
    DiverJoe
    The first time I went solo was also Channel Islands with Truth Aquatics dive charters. The PADI Master Diver that accompanied my wife and I during our advance training talked with us about solo diving. The PADI instructor though was adamant about the buddy system. I dove solo once during our AOW boat dive Channel Islands. Actually there were at least 8 other divers from the boat in the water also, just that I was not buddied up with any of them. I swam around with my speargun, didn't find anything, and swam back to the boat.

TadPole
    Northern CA, United States and anywhere I can get wet
    Go back during Lobster season. Bugs beware!

I enjoyed it. It was a week of boat diving (4 days of diving, 5 nights).
    I solo in the rivers, lake, ocean. No caves or obsticles (always buddy for that stuff!)

But the boat dive is ideal. You can stay within "sight" of others if you are a bit nervous at first, and if you are like me and have "dive energy" when others are "worn out" (read ready for a beer and dinner), you can grab another dive or two. Just clear it with the skipper and crew, (and don't hold up the rest of the boat for your "last dive before we go to the next site" and if they are gracious, enjoy!

As I said in another thread, solo diving is not to fear, all divers should be comfortable and confidant (not cocky) in all thier diving and should know solo/self rescue dives as the norm, even with a partner.

Dive Safe All!
    DiverJoe
    I haate Stickkkkkky Keyborddds withh bad kees!
    Dive Safe All!

Grouper
    Ours was a 4 day also, but not a 5 night due to sleeping on the boat the first night for early morning departure and returning in the evening of the last night. The first day was at San Clemente. There were a lot of lobsters in holes and especially at night when they walk across the open areas one behind the other. On one night dive, I had one that got scared by another diver get stuck in my BC still trying to swim backwards. I hope to go this year if I can afford it during lobster season.
    Last edited by cmburch; 03-04-2008 at 13:28.

TadPole
    Images
    I have a solodiver instructor cert.

I started solodiving 22 years ago, before it was even in the minds of the agencies.

It just kinda happened, lack of buddies or people that I wanted to have as buddies

Most of my diving over the past 22 years has been solo,.. I prefer it that way.

Check out my project dive boat thread
    http://forum.scubatoys.com/southeast...an-handle.html

Grouper
    I started diving solo when I started blackwater diving and it was impossible to see your dive buddy anyway!

TadPole
    most of my dives are solo, diving in the NYC area even if you had a budy most days you wouldn't be able to see them anyway even if they were holding your hand...

Necessity, tying off the boat, It seemed like I got the call most of the time. I enjoyed the solitude. I started out tying us off then coming up and getting divers ready to get in the water. as time went on I "elected" to explore rather than come up (which was tolerated). Heck I got to use skills finding the wrecks or the platform I had to tied off to and we were always in less than 100ft of water. I used the time to improve things that needed improving. As time went on with luck and proper navigational skills I was the only diver sent over the side to tie off as time seemed to be a concern. MY 80 AL became a 98 lp steel with an H valve. after the divers would finish thier 2nd dive I get back in the water to untie. MY confidence increased as did my problem solving. I didn't much like to 2in nylon line I had to drag, but it was a good learning experience. Probably not the best way to learn to dive solo and I would never recommend learning this way.
    Tin Cậy Không Ai!

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information