Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a light recommendation

I need a light recommendation

I am looking for a light.

Specifically, I want one without a pistol grip, not too heavy, and bright enough to be used as a primary for open water night dives in clear conditions or daylight dives in very low visibility (often less than 2 feet). I currently have a UK C8 light and it's bright enough but I hate hate hate the pistol grip, so I'm looking to upgrade.

Is something like the Oxycheq LED backup light what I'm looking for? Any thoughts on that versus the similar seeming Hollis, DiveRite 500, or Salvo 9W? Is a 3W light bright enough?

Thanks for any advice!
    Last edited by quarkuud; 01-02-2009 at 22:01.

Barracuda
    Images
    Try the Oxycheq Raider III primary light.

Insanely bright and focused.
    - Fisheater

Grouper
    If you dont' want to spend alot check the dorcy undewater light, took it out the other day on a dive. Was very impressed with this light for the cost, the laynard sucks really bad and I need to do my own upgrade for that though.
    You gotta pay for the pleasure of my company

I'm concerned that the beam will be too tight on either of those for night diving for me. The Raider I seems to be less focused, but I'm not sure if it's bright enough for me.

Grouper
    Images
    If you like the Oxy 3 watt, look into Tusa TUL 300 LED Light, I ended up with two. But the next light that I will buy will be Salvo Rebel 12 Watt LED Dive Light or something like that
    acckkk ack ack ack ackkk (we come in peace)

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by USF_Diver View Post
    If you dont' want to spend alot check the dorcy undewater light, took it out the other day on a dive. Was very impressed with this light for the cost, the laynard sucks really bad and I need to do my own upgrade for that though.

I took it (dorcy dive light) out on the New Year's Day dive. The visibility sucked per usual, and this light did the trick. A dive buddy brought his UK 100 HID and diving beside each other, my dorcy out performed. If you dive with bad visibility, then grab the dorcy just to try it out.

To address the lanyard issue: the holes dorcy allows at the butt of the light are wide enough for a stanless steel keyring. Attach it to a retractable lanyard and you are in business.
    "It's not what you do in your life that matters. It is what you do in other people's lives that matters" - my grandfather

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by quarkuud View Post
    I'm concerned that the beam will be too tight on either of those for night diving for me. The Raider I seems to be less focused, but I'm not sure if it's bright enough for me.
    I was worried about the same thing but its not that bad. You might want to look at the tusa 300 led light then, its great in dark areas that you need to put out alot of light.

I'll try to take a pic of both beams and post it.
    You gotta pay for the pleasure of my company

Shark Founding Member
    Want an excellent light, easy on power/batteries, uses AA batteries, has a nice focus beam with a large diffused area, is tough as nails, and a white light?

Look at Nocturnal Lights SLX.

We've been using ours for over 3 years and they're fabulous. They work as well today as the day we got them, and they're so easy on batteries that I don't have to change them after 2 weeks of diving, including a couple of night dives.
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

Grouper
    my experience is that this is one area that you shouldnt go cheap, the first two lights i bought were under $50.00. the old saying applys true here, "you get what you pay for"

Grouper
    Halcyon Scout 3 cell LED. I've got four of them 2 for the wife and 2 for myself. $pendy but I want something that I can depend on when in overhead enviroment. Very Bright hand held NON pistol grip light. Long burn time and as tough as they come. This is Not my Primary I use a (Salvo Havoc 35watt 20amp.) but would work very good for you in your described diving conditions.
    Good Luck
    Last edited by KennyD; 01-06-2009 at 02:29.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information