Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VR3 errors

TadPole

VR3 errors

Has anyone ever had their VR3 computer register false depths and dives that didn't occur? Mine recently did both while diving in Mexico. First time was at 60' when the VR3 suddenly flashed that I was at 119' and called for a deco stop blah blah. (I had two 'puters the other an oceanic pro plus 2) the next day dive the VR3 did the same thing and actually continued to register new dives after I got home. I ended up pulling the battery out. Anyone got any ideas what went wrong before I send it back for a check-up?

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Has anyone ever had their VR3 computer register false depths and dives that didn't occur? Mine recently did both while diving in Mexico. First time was at 60' when the VR3 suddenly flashed that I was at 119' and called for a deco stop blah blah. (I had two 'puters the other an oceanic pro plus 2) the next day dive the VR3 did the same thing and actually continued to register new dives after I got home. I ended up pulling the battery out. Anyone got any ideas what went wrong before I send it back for a check-up?
    Its likely a bad pressure sensor (or at least in that circuit). I'd send it in for a checkup. It might be as simple as a bad/dirty membrane on the transducer. Then again, it might be the processor's AD convert going as well making it 'see' different pressures.

Only the factory can really tell you.

TadPole
    I had the same problem with mine and I have to agree with the last post. The people at Delta-P US also suggested to remove the battery and see if it was stuck to the batt. cap. Turns out they had a run of bad caps that didn't fit right. Of course mine was the sensor and had to be sent back to the UK for a fix, and it wasn't cheap, I don't remember the exact amount, but it was somewhere around 400-500 bucks.
    Good luck
    Paule

Barracuda Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drtyjrzy View Post
    I had the same problem with mine and I have to agree with the last post. The people at Delta-P US also suggested to remove the battery and see if it was stuck to the batt. cap. Turns out they had a run of bad caps that didn't fit right. Of course mine was the sensor and had to be sent back to the UK for a fix, and it wasn't cheap, I don't remember the exact amount, but it was somewhere around 400-500 bucks.
    Good luck
    Paule

500 bux to fix a factory defect? WOW. sounds like a load of crock to me... 1/4 the price of the computer to fix it?
    Danilo

If anyone has the winning lottery numbers for next week, please send me a PM with those numbers.
    Thanks.
    -Black-Gorrilla!!

TadPole
    No no I'm sorry I should have made myself clearer, the sensor is not a defect, just something that wears out over time. The battery cap is a factory defect and they will send you a new one for free. Sorry for the confusion.
    Paule

Jeez... that is a really expensive censor to replace. avg. life of it?
    Danilo

If anyone has the winning lottery numbers for next week, please send me a PM with those numbers.
    Thanks.
    -Black-Gorrilla!!

TadPole
    Yeah it was expensive, thats why I don't dive the VR3 anymore. I couldn't say how long they last I bought mine used and it was about 5 years old or so. The sensor cost all that and it was like 100 more to ship it to the UK and back. Anyway I dive the shearwater now, it's much more user friendly and they are made in canada.
    Paule

Damn.. That sucks. VR3 seems to be well liked amongst the techies, deep divers, CCR etc...
    Danilo

Thanks.
    -Black-Gorrilla!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Black-Gorrilla View Post
    Damn.. That sucks. VR3 seems to be well liked amongst the techies, deep divers, CCR etc...
    Really? Everyone I know who owned one (note past tense) hated theirs. Money pits. They constantly break, have to be sent back for repairs that take FOREVER, and cost you a ton.

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Black-Gorrilla View Post
    Really? Everyone I know who owned one (note past tense) hated theirs. Money pits. They constantly break, have to be sent back for repairs that take FOREVER, and cost you a ton.
    That's funny, all of the owners I know loved them (6 or 7 plus wife and I). The ones who dropped the VR3 upgraded to better hammerhead electronics for thier inspirations and that was the only reason they dumped the VR3's. (one kept it for OC dives)

I've had mine since 2002 and the wifes since 2005, no problems other than a great apatite for AA batteries. (course, that's due to our preferred backlight setting)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information