Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder pads for a harness.

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member

Shoulder pads for a harness.

I just scored an ABS (DR) backplate on EBAY and will be putting together another BPW for my daughter.
    I know her and her quirks. I am looking at the Oxy and the Zeagle pads. Anybody have experience with these?
    Do they wrap the straps with velcro or do I have to unthread the harness?
    How about the d-rings? Any issues/conflicts?
    Thanks
    Tim

Also, anybody have a Dive Rite lumbar pad for sale cheap? I can get them new for <$50.00. Looking for a better deal if there is one out there.

I personally don't think these things are needed, but my kid was one of those who had issues with "sock bumps" when she was little.

(I am getting her 80 cf HP steel tanks so I am not worried about buoyancy issues with the plastic plate)
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Barracuda Founding Member
    The shoulder pads on my BP/w actually hurt more than helped... try to score some used on the cheap, cause it's most likely gonna come off after a few dives once she tries it.
    Danilo

If anyone has the winning lottery numbers for next week, please send me a PM with those numbers.
    Thanks.
    -Black-Gorrilla!!

Barracuda Founding Member
    Ive got the Oxycheq pads. Really help w/ long shore hikes. You will have to undo the harness to get them on. I believe the Zeagle pads do have removable velcro. (but may be too big)

Im not sure how old/what size your daughter is, but even for me at 6ft I have problems with the pads covering up the D rings. I have to pull them up the harness before every dive. You may have to trim them in length some.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by FishFood; 01-20-2009 at 21:33.

It does. Thanks guys.
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Banned
    That's awesome. How old's your daughter?

Guppy
    The zeagle pads just velcro on... but i hated them. They always moved about and generally gave me the ****s until i took them off

Quote Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
    17 this coming May.She has used one of my plates before with al 80 and steel 100. She preffered a jacket.

She uses a Scubapro BC, but I need an excuse to an 18# Mach V and 80 cf steel tanks. This is it. LOL Besides, now that she is a little more seasoned I want her to hava another opportunity.

She'll be slinging in the neighborhood of 12 fewer pounds around on the boat. Cylinder is a couple pounds lighter, she'll shed 6 to 8 pounds of lead and the "BC" will be lighter.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    I looked at and tried on the Zeagle pads when I was at the ST store. They do velcro on, but i did not see that they would be all that useful. For me, it's just another bit of buoyancy that must be countered. I talked to a couple of the guys at ST about them, and they were less than enthusiastic as well. I decided not buy the pads and used the $20 I saved to score some air for my tanks.
    rick

Moderator ST-Forum Mod WV Diver's Avatar
    Images
    I have the Zeagle pads. I didn't order them but the guys at Scuba Toys must have just thrown them in for free as I bought a Zeagle BP/W setup. Scuba Toys ROCKS!! I'm glad they did they have been nice for shore diving.

1-877-728-2243
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from bad judgment.

A series of unrecognized mistakes does not constitute experience.

I'm a NMOF and proud of it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Splitlip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
    17 this coming May.She has used one of my plates before with al 80 and steel 100. She preffered a jacket.

She uses a Scubapro BC, but I need an excuse to an 18# Mach V and 80 cf steel tanks. This is it. LOL Besides, now that she is a little more seasoned I want her to hava another opportunity.

She'll be slinging in the neighborhood of 12 fewer pounds around on the boat. Cylinder is a couple pounds lighter, she'll shed 6 to 8 pounds of lead and the "BC" will be lighter.
    What kind of exposure protection? I assume 3mm and less? I personally never found the stiff webbing an issue with my 3mm, but (1) I wasn't taking long hikes, and (2) I never used less than 3mm. I'll often hump my doubles from the car to the shop, or from the car to the house with my plate over just a t-shirt, and it isn't particularly comfortable, so could see the want for these straps.

Any chance of getting her to try a few more dives without before spending the money to get some? From the comments here, many people seem pretty unhappy with theirs (moving, covering d-rings, etc). Maybe make your own from an old wetsuit?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information