Thread: dive sites start getting divable

Grouper

dive sites start getting divable

Just an off the wall question regarding dive sites around the Northwest Indiana area (or about an hour away)....

When do they become "divable" again for those of us without a drysuit. I am trying to get some idea of when i need to really start planning on taking fridays off of work to get some long weekend of diving in and being new to the sport i was just wondering.

also just to add....i have a relatively good tollerance to cold temps....done the polar bear swim many of times....

thanks in advance

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    If you've done the polar bear swim and it didn't bother you, it's diveable now. Otherwise April seems to be the most common time to see wetsuits start coming out.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings66 View Post
    If you've done the polar bear swim and it didn't bother you, it's diveable now. Otherwise April seems to be the most common time to see wetsuits start coming out.

I couldn't agree more!!! I am planning on trying out the lakes & Quarrys here in Missouri for the next few weeks, To see if I have what it takes to dive year around in missouri??

I will know soon!!
    Say When....

Grouper
    cool...or cold....but thanks guys...yeah i'm gettng the itch and can't wait to start diving again. I just have a 3mm right now but will definatly be investing a little bit more money in gear if/when the tax return comes.

Grouper
    I bought the NeoSport 7mm Farmer john. ST(really Cheap) & if I decide I need a drysuit the 2 pieces should come in handy one way or another when it just a bit to warm for a drysuit.
    Say When....

Grouper

Mid west Warm weather diving ?

Well the Haigh opens in April for weekends only, then 6 days a week starting in May.

The water is the clearest during the early spring months, not green yet.

Jim Breslin

Grouper
    alright thanks jim for the information. Yeah i am trying to see what opens when around here. my instructor is looking for more places to go to do check out dives and frankly i want to get in the water and get them done so that i can get out and dive. I've put a lot of time in at the pool this winter and am ready to get out into the open water.

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by jbres1 View Post
    Well the Haigh opens in April for weekends only, then 6 days a week starting in May.

The water is the clearest during the early spring months, not green yet.

Jim Breslin
    I did my check-out dives 2 years ago during the first weekend of May up at Haigh....the water clarity was the best then compared to any of the other times I've been there. But I'd be perfectly happy to be diving in those green murky conditions right now if I could but even in my 7mm it would be a bit too cold I think <looking out the window at the snow :/ >

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    To be honest, most divers in a wetsuit can barely tolerate the water in April. Many can't do more than one dive without getting too cold, or a long dive. But, April is when you see them starting out from the caves. By May you'll get more and when June hits it's full bore diving.

A drysuit makes it all good, but otherwise I'd say start in April with a good 7mm wetsuit. A 3mm, you'd be insane IMO to dive in April.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Thread Information