Thread: 1 wetsuit for San Diego, Hawaii, Okinawa?

TadPole Founding Member
    I'm a new diver about to go on a series of trips to San Diego (July-Sep), Hawaii (Late Sept-Early Oct), and Okinawa (Oct-Nov).
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>It looks like the water temperatures are quite different. </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>I was thinking of buying a 3mm for Hawaii/Okinawa, and renting while in San Diego. Any suggestions?</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>-johm</DIV>

Guppy Founding Member
    If it were only that easy to buy just one suit to fill all needs!
    Buy the wetsuit for the area that you will be diving in on a normal basis. Example, I dove in Terrell, Texas in the summer (allot) and a 3 mil shorty served me just fine. When I dove in the fall or spring, I also purchased a 5 Mil full. When ever I would go to a colder region I would wear both. We call it a "Poor mans farmer John". Sometimes it could be a little to warm for me, so I would pull the neck out a bit and let in fresh cold water. If I ever would get cold, usually the dive would end.

In summery, Its easier to cool off with too much exposure suit than to warm up with too little.

This looks dangerous... You go first!

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    3mm for Hawaii should work, unless you're doing a LOT of diving, and then I know some prefer 5mm due to cumulative heat loss. I hear the same about Okinawa.

You'll need at least a 7mm for San Diego, if not a drysuit. Renting is probably a good option. (You won't be able to rent a drysuit without a drysuit cert)

TadPole Founding Member
    Thanks for all the replies. You're suggestions have been very helpful.
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>I've never actually dove with a wet suit. I learned to dive in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba back in may. I wore swim trunks and a t-shirt and was never cold.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>I've used wetsuits back when I was a kid boggie boarding in Santa Cruz.</DIV>

Guppy Founding Member
    i just got back from hawaii, diving with a 4/3. i was on a liveaboard though, and after 5 dives a day, i would get cold easily. i'm not sure i would have liked a 5mm, but a hood would certainly have been helpful...

Grouper Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude
    3mm for Hawaii should work, unless you're doing a LOT of diving, and then I know some prefer 5mm due to cumulative heat loss. I hear the same about Okinawa.You'll need at least a 7mm for San Diego, if not a drysuit. Renting is probably a good option. (You won't be able to rent a drysuit without a drysuit cert)
    Sorry but I actually disagree with you. I go to Hawaii every year around December/january/February and a 3 mil is not enough. The water is not that warm in Hawaii and it can be very windy and cloudy. I dive with a 5mm and even a 7mm full suit when I am there. As far as San Diego, the water get fairly warm in August-september , I dive with a 7mil in L.A during the winter and I am never cold. If I had to choose one suit to bring to all the destination you are going I would get the Mares Trialastic 7-6-5

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by somewhereinla
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude
    3mm for Hawaii should work, unless you're doing a LOT of diving, and then I know some prefer 5mm due to cumulative heat loss. I hear the same about Okinawa.You'll need at least a 7mm for San Diego, if not a drysuit. Renting is probably a good option. (You won't be able to rent a drysuit without a drysuit cert)

Sorry but I actually disagree with you. I go to Hawaii every year around December/january/February and a 3 mil is not enough. The water is not that warm in Hawaii and it can be very windy and cloudy. I dive with a 5mm and even a 7mm full suit when I am there. As far as San Diego, the water get fairly warm in August-september , I dive with a 7mil in L.A during the winter and I am never cold. If I had to choose one suit to bring to all the destination you are going I would get the Mares Trialastic 7-6-5
    I grew up in Hawaii. My name is Kalani.

I dove there every summer during my late teens for the entire month of August. The trade winds sure kick up, but they're warm. I can't speak for the water temps in the winter, however.

I wore a shortie or a 3mm fullsuit and never had a problem with the water temp.

*shrug*

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    For traveling purposes, a 3 mill packs easily while a 7 mil takes up a lot of space. I think you're plan is a good one. While a rental suit won't be as warm as your own, you can definately get away with one during the summer months out here. If you're worried about a 3 mil not being enough in Hawaii, you can always add a 3 (or even 6.5) mil hooded vest.They pack pretty well.

Thread Information