Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bare Next Gen Drysuit

Grand Master Spammer
    Quote Originally Posted by baywatch106 View Post
    on the bare next gen, can the boots be changed to a larger size ..ie by bare or are you stuck with what's on the suit?
    The next gen suit doesn't have built in boots, they're more like socks. The stock sizing available should cover just about any possibility. The "socks" aren't going to fit tight, and are kinda bulky. When ordering your boots, Just to remember to order the next size up from your normal boot size. I wear a size 10 boot, and I got the size 11 rock boots for the suit. Hope that helps.
    Diving is safe.....People are dangerous!

Grouper
    Images
    Well, there is on on ebay and it has the HD boots installed. They are XL which on the bare sizing chart is a 10 . I wear a 12 bootie. The HD boots have a vulcanized rubber sole. That's why I was wondering if they can be removed and "socks" be glued on.
    Those who sacrafice essiental liberty for temporary safety neither deserve liberty or safety.

Grand Master Spammer
    Honestly bro, considering the price of those suits, unless the used one is REAL cheap, you'd probably be better off ordering a new one that has what you want. The next gen are great suits, and I sold mine for just slightly less then I paid for it new. In other words, they hold a pretty decent resale value vs. initial cost, and that could be a disadvantage for you cost wise.
    Diving is safe.....People are dangerous!

Grouper
    I bought a Pinnacle Evo 2 with undergarments new for 1500.00. The thing with drysuits I have found is that you often buy someone else's problems.

So unless it is really cheap, or you personally know the issues... I'd buy new.

Guppy
    Love mine. Got it in November. I'll be diving it till I hit 80 degree water. I'm spoiled now. Easy to care for, easy to maintain. No leaks, no problems. I wear Converse Chuck T's for the boots- comfortable and inexpensive. I've been in waters here from 53 to 70 degrees. in 70 degree water, just wearing Champion fleece top/bottom from Costco. Do I have to get out of the water?

Grouper Founding Member
    I had a White's suit for the past 6 years. The only thing I don't see anyone posting is the way the suits are made. They do something different in the sealing at the seams. Before buy a White's I would talk to some dry suit repair shops, about what they can and can't repair. I found that most repairs require you to return the suit to White's. The suit has to be sent thru your White's dealer. The small hole in the sock of my suit, that no dry suit repair shop would touch cost $400 to repair going thru my dealer. Now that Aqua Lung owns Whites this may all change for better or worse.

I picked up a New Bare Commercial trilam with relief zipper off e bay for $500. Great suit heavy duty and I can do most repairs myself.

10 minutes to suit up and 1 to 2 hours in the water = P valve for me. If you don't get one now, you will later.
    Last edited by Lone Frogman; 03-04-2010 at 03:12.
    Dave

lone : solitary : sole,only : isolated
    frogman : a swimmer equipped to work underwater for long periods of time

Grouper
    I have to second what lone frog man has mentioned

Whites suits are amazing when they are working, but hell to deal with when they spring a leak, especially on a seam. I just went through all this hassel and finally said screw it and sold it. I just got a new custom fit Bare Tech Dry. Bare suits are pretty easy to do a quick fix to get your dives in if you do spring a leak and relativley easy to have repaired as well.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxHound View Post
    Whites suits are amazing when they are working, but hell to deal with when they spring a leak, especially on a seam. I just went through all this hassel and finally said screw it and sold it.
    And that's what I mean by you often buy someone elses problems when you buy used.

Grouper
    this is quite true, its often i see on ebay or on scuba forums where they are selling because of a leak.

This is a good argument to have a suit pressure tested first if you are buying used....just in case

Although in my case i had the leak repaired and the shop passed the warrenty on the fix to the person i sold it, i made it very clear the problem i had, but he really liked the price lol

Barracuda
    You need to ask a lot of questions before buying used, regardless of what brand suit it is. I know several people who have bought used suits that worked fine and didn't leak at all. Others bought a lemon. The key is to ask about leaks and maintenance and use common sense. It helps if you can check on the sellers previous sales and/or reputation. Many people are honest and will tell you exactly what issues if any there are with a used suit.

To answer the OP (year old already), my only issues with the NexGen suit are the location of the exhaust valve, it is too far forward on the shoulder and if you swim horizontal it makes venting more challenging. I used mine for fresh water wreck diving and it treated me well for ~150 dives. I found it to be durable, light, fast drying and dependable. I recently replaced it due to my zipper broke (user error) and it was a little small for my heavier winter undergarments. I really have no regrets with having bought my suit other than I wish I'd gotten a large instead of a medium/large.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information