Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dive Alert Plus

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
    The Dive Alert Plus does the same thing the Sub Duck does as well as being an above water horn. It is both.
    I should have been more clear. I understand that it is both in one, but I was wondering if the sub duck part of it is more effective than a tank banger at getting attention underwater. In the 6 reviews posted here, there seems to be a divided opinion on it being effective.

I was just fishing for more opinions on how well it works compared to an ordanary plastic ball/rubber band tank banger

My Dive Alert Plus is really loud underwater. I would certainly say the Dive Alert Plus is louder than a tank banger. You could question how useful that is since they both work when your buddy is within an appropriate range and with most sound it is difficult to figure out where it is coming from underwater so it isn't likely going to help you locate a buddy.

Has anyone just hooked up a separate inflator hose that only runs to the Dive Alert Plus? It is a bit bulky attached to the BCD inflator.
    Last edited by Straegen; 03-18-2009 at 23:14.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
    My Dive Alert Plus is really loud underwater. I would certainly say the Dive Alert Plus is louder than a tank banger. You could question how useful that is since they both work when your buddy is within an appropriate range and with most sound it is difficult to figure out where it is coming from underwater so it isn't likely going to help you locate a buddy.

Has anyone just hooked up a separate inflator hose that only runs to the Dive Alert Plus? It is a bit bulky attached to the BCD inflator.
    Thanks Straegen. I haven't had many problems with people I normally dive with, but with "assigned" buddies and especially with someone wearing a hood it seems like they either ignore it, or don't hear it. I guess that needs to be a normal part of my dive prep to make sure my buddy knows exactly what my signalling device sounds like before we go down. I know it's dumb, but I never really thought about including that in my routine. And still, louder is better IMO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by setesh View Post
    And still, louder is better IMO.
    I'm sorry, but there just isn't a need for these stupid sound makers in the water. They're ANNOYING. No one wants to listen to this crap; it's one reason most of us dive- to get away from sound pollution. Please, be considerate to others in the water and don't go around honking. If you need your buddy's attention, signal him (wave of the hand, use a light, or reach over and tap him). No need to be 20' away from each other. Get closer. No need to ignore each other. Learn to up your situational awareness game. Make eye contact during the dive. Know where your buddy is at all times. You'll have no problem getting his attention if you're both making efforts to pay attention. A lame underwater toy is not the solution to a bad buddy. If need be, have a frank discussion with your buddy until you're on the same page. Or find new buddies. But please, be respectful of those who don't want to hear you blasting an air horn under water.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
    A lame underwater toy is not the solution to a bad buddy. If need be, have a frank discussion with your buddy until you're on the same page. Or find new buddies. But please, be respectful of those who don't want to hear you blasting an air horn under water.
    Like I said, I haven't had a problem with people I dive with regularly, it's assigned buddies that I've had a problem with. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to dive nearly as often as I would like if I went only with buddies I actually know. Sometimes you just have to show up and take pot luck. So basically, I AM finding new buddies every time. And some of the people you get stuck with just don't give a rat's rosey about being a good buddy. It's obvious from your post that you have run into some of the same kind of people.
    Obviously if I can just wave to someone or put a hand on them why would I go through the effort of reaching back to my banger or fumbling with any noisemaker? I'm just going to have to sign to him after I get his attention anyway, so if signing is an option why wouldn't I just do it to begin with? Personally, I think having an option to get someone's attention with sound is a good thing to have in reserve. And if there is a real need to get someones attention, I'm not going to think twice about ruining the auditory bliss.

Banned
    Invest in good buddies. I assure you, they'll make your diving more enjoyable than any noisemaker. Use the boards, talk to your LDS, but get regular buddies. They're out there.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    I'm sorry, but there just isn't a need for these stupid sound makers in the water. They're ANNOYING. No one wants to listen to this crap; it's one reason most of us dive- to get away from sound pollution. Please, be considerate to others in the water and don't go around honking. If you need your buddy's attention, signal him (wave of the hand, use a light, or reach over and tap him). No need to be 20' away from each other. Get closer. No need to ignore each other. Learn to up your situational awareness game. Make eye contact during the dive. Know where your buddy is at all times. You'll have no problem getting his attention if you're both making efforts to pay attention. A lame underwater toy is not the solution to a bad buddy. If need be, have a frank discussion with your buddy until you're on the same page. Or find new buddies. But please, be respectful of those who don't want to hear you blasting an air horn under water.
    THANK YOU.

I HATE those #%*&ing sub ducks. It's one thing for an instructor or DM to use them on a training dive, that's a legit business reason. It's another thing for buddies to use them for "hey, look at this!" throughout a dive. ARGH.

Guppy
    Can you connect them to a Mares BC that has the Airtrim system?

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
    THANK YOU.

I HATE those #%*&ing sub ducks. It's one thing for an instructor or DM to use them on a training dive, that's a legit business reason. It's another thing for buddies to use them for "hey, look at this!" throughout a dive. ARGH.
    I just bought one and they're freaking loud. If there's an emergency yes, if you want someone to see the eel hiding under a rock no. If everyone starts using these for non-emergency situation how is anyone going to know if there really is a problem?

Oh yeah, and take to heart the warning not to use near your ear, or any one else's for that matter.
    Last edited by Tully Mars; 03-21-2009 at 12:30. Reason: forgot something
    People are always bitching about getting what they deserve... I think if they did they'd be greatly disappointed.

Grouper
    Images
    Wonder if the noise omitted is harmful to marine life. I don't use mine UW unless there's an actual emergency. Which means so far never... OK I tested it once.

But is Navy sonar can mess with sea life how can this thing not?
    People are always bitching about getting what they deserve... I think if they did they'd be greatly disappointed.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information