Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 85

Thread: Dive Alert Plus

  1. #21
    Shark
    Join Date
    08/01/2007
    Location
    Temecula CA
    Posts
    2,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Tully Mars View Post
    Wonder if the noise omitted is harmful to marine life. I don't use mine UW unless there's an actual emergency. Which means so far never... OK I tested it once.

    But is Navy sonar can mess with sea life how can this thing not?
    No idea if it harmful to Marine life but Divers who use underwater Dive Alerts, Tank Bangers or Rattles....well when you get back on the boat be prepared for the wrath of some divers....LOL....I've given my 2psi before and seen a DM not be very nice about it. Leave those toys to your DM/Dive Guide or use them very sparingly.

    I have used my Surface Dive Alert three times in 6 years once in the Galapagos, once in Sipadan and recently in the Philippines when we surfaced in 6' to 9' seas.

  2. #22
    Grouper
    Join Date
    02/16/2009
    Location
    Yucatan, Mexico
    Posts
    294
    Images
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelnsj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tully Mars View Post
    Wonder if the noise omitted is harmful to marine life. I don't use mine UW unless there's an actual emergency. Which means so far never... OK I tested it once.

    But is Navy sonar can mess with sea life how can this thing not?
    No idea if it harmful to Marine life but Divers who use underwater Dive Alerts, Tank Bangers or Rattles....well when you get back on the boat be prepared for the wrath of some divers....LOL....I've given my 2psi before and seen a DM not be very nice about it. Leave those toys to your DM/Dive Guide or use them very sparingly.

    I have used my Surface Dive Alert three times in 6 years once in the Galapagos, once in Sipadan and recently in the Philippines when we surfaced in 6' to 9' seas.
    I've only had mine a short time. I'd never use it except in an emergency. I'm awfully tried of people "playing" with them. I always tell people I'm diving with that if I blow it threes times there's a problem. Just like rifle hunting in the woods, three shots in a row means 'little help here."
    People are always bitching about getting what they deserve... I think if they did they'd be greatly disappointed.

  3. #23
    Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/11/2007
    Location
    Studio City, CA, USA
    Posts
    8,410
    I wouldn't worry about the noise of the quackers, at least. It can be pretty noisy underwater as it is, depending on species. The issues with Navy Sonar and such are completely different, and totally different levels of volume. Regardless, the occasional blast in an emergency is very different to something done routinely, like the Navy was doing.

  4. #24
    Grouper
    Join Date
    02/16/2009
    Location
    Yucatan, Mexico
    Posts
    294
    Images
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the noise of the quackers, at least. It can be pretty noisy underwater as it is, depending on species. The issues with Navy Sonar and such are completely different, and totally different levels of volume. Regardless, the occasional blast in an emergency is very different to something done routinely, like the Navy was doing.
    That's good to know. Was kind of thinking if lights at night are a issue for some sea life then massive noise like these things are making might be too.

    Thanks for the info.
    People are always bitching about getting what they deserve... I think if they did they'd be greatly disappointed.

  5. #25
    Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/11/2007
    Location
    Studio City, CA, USA
    Posts
    8,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Tully Mars View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the noise of the quackers, at least. It can be pretty noisy underwater as it is, depending on species. The issues with Navy Sonar and such are completely different, and totally different levels of volume. Regardless, the occasional blast in an emergency is very different to something done routinely, like the Navy was doing.
    That's good to know. Was kind of thinking if lights at night are a issue for some sea life then massive noise like these things are making might be too.

    Thanks for the info.
    NP. Startling critters for a moment (at best) once in a while during an emergency is VERY different from pounding their eardrums continuously during a 6 month deployment.

  6. #26
    Grouper cyclone3565's Avatar
    Join Date
    01/09/2008
    Location
    Not 100' under Water - Southeast
    Age
    54
    Posts
    292
    Is the plus available for the SS1 yet. I like the fact of being able to change to surface mode.

  7. #27
    Grouper
    Join Date
    02/16/2009
    Location
    Yucatan, Mexico
    Posts
    294
    Images
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone3565 View Post
    Is the plus available for the SS1 yet. I like the fact of being able to change to surface mode.
    You should call ST's. I have a feeling they probably do make one. I had no problems finding one's for my Zeagle and ProSub. Now if I can just find the cash for the ProSub one.
    People are always bitching about getting what they deserve... I think if they did they'd be greatly disappointed.

  8. #28
    Grouper
    Join Date
    02/15/2009
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by setesh View Post
    And still, louder is better IMO.
    I'm sorry, but there just isn't a need for these stupid sound makers in the water. They're ANNOYING. No one wants to listen to this crap; it's one reason most of us dive- to get away from sound pollution. Please, be considerate to others in the water and don't go around honking. If you need your buddy's attention, signal him (wave of the hand, use a light, or reach over and tap him). No need to be 20' away from each other. Get closer. No need to ignore each other. Learn to up your situational awareness game. Make eye contact during the dive. Know where your buddy is at all times. You'll have no problem getting his attention if you're both making efforts to pay attention. A lame underwater toy is not the solution to a bad buddy. If need be, have a frank discussion with your buddy until you're on the same page. Or find new buddies. But please, be respectful of those who don't want to hear you blasting an air horn under water.

    While I understand where you are coming from, I disagree with some of what you are saying. I concur that folks should not use these items to simply try to get the attention of their buddy in a run of the mill situation. However, I do think that in the event of an emergency both above and below the surface that these items are very worthwhile.
    Surfacing in rougher than expected seas, being pulled away from the dive boats by strong current, all of these are very real occurrences. No matter what the cause of the incident, be it diver error or something beyond their control...having a signal device could be a very effective way of letting folks who can assist know that there is someone in distress.
    I can live with someone disturbing my serenity if it means that lives are saved or potential injury is averted.

  9. #29
    Grouper
    Join Date
    02/16/2009
    Location
    Yucatan, Mexico
    Posts
    294
    Images
    16
    I agree. They're situations where using these things underwater is necessary. My buddies in trouble or out of air, I'm tangled up in something etc...

    My problem is people are using these freaking things to point out stuff like "oh, looky an eel!" or "Hey! an octopus!' People using these for non-emergency situations piss me off.

    That not what they're made for and not their purpose.
    People are always bitching about getting what they deserve... I think if they did they'd be greatly disappointed.

  10. #30
    Grouper
    Join Date
    05/25/2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    312
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone3565 View Post
    Is the plus available for the SS1 yet. I like the fact of being able to change to surface mode.

    I own one that fits my SS1!
    Call ST and they will get you the right one!


Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Used Dive Alert Plus #3
    By ScubaToys Larry in forum New Product RSS
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 10:50
  2. Dive Alert Plus
    By Navy OnStar in forum Accessories
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 10:26
  3. Is the new Dive Alert available now?
    By Sounder in forum New Product RSS
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 13:02
  4. Dive Alert Plus
    By Navy OnStar in forum Accessories
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-08-2008, 12:38
  5. Dive alert...
    By NightLife in forum Job Well Done!
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-01-2007, 00:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •