Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Dive Alert Plus

Grouper
    Note: PLEASE ONLY USE FOR AN EMERGENCY AS THE NOISE IT MAKES IS ANNOYING.

--Zeagle Eagle

My biggest problem with the device is having it in the hands of someone who abuses it underwater. From a safety standpoint, it can be invaluable. Put in the wrong hands,it can be the most annoying thing on the planet. These things work very well above and below the surface. I was on a liveaboard once,for a week, where a guy had one and signaled his buddy everytime he wanted his attention. All I wanted to do was to swim up from behind and slice his LPI hose in half! If purchased, please treat as an emergency signaling device. With my experience of the aforementioned trip, I probably wouldn't of responded to the guy if he needed help. How do you know if the boy is crying wolf at that point?? By all means, if you find it necessary to purchase one use it for it's intended purpose. This would be an "emergency" signaling device.Stick with a tank banger if you see something cool that needs to be shared with someone. Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekdivr View Post

--Zeagle Eagle

My biggest problem with the device is having it in the hands of someone who abuses it underwater. From a safety standpoint, it can be invaluable. Put in the wrong hands,it can be the most annoying thing on the planet. These things work very well above and below the surface. I was on a liveaboard once,for a week, where a guy had one and signaled his buddy everytime he wanted his attention. All I wanted to do was to swim up from behind and slice his LPI hose in half! If purchased, please treat as an emergency signaling device. With my experience of the aforementioned trip, I probably wouldn't of responded to the guy if he needed help. How do you know if the boy is crying wolf at that point?? By all means, if you find it necessary to purchase one use it for it's intended purpose. This would be an "emergency" signaling device.Stick with a tank banger if you see something cool that needs to be shared with someone. Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.
    The exception to "emergency use" would be for use by a DM to signal the photographers in a small group that he has found a photo subject. Very handy for that... but only ok when your group is the only group in the area.

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekdivr View Post

--Zeagle Eagle

<snip>
    Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.
    AGREED, I will only use it for emergencies or when I want to be annoying (once I get one that works)

[quote=Zeagle Eagle;331142]
    Quote Originally Posted by tlt View Post
    My primary hose is a little bit longer than normal to permit someone else to use it. If you use an octo you need three hands. One to work your inflator,one to control your OOA buddy and one to maintain control of your reg. With an Air II you only need two hands. All of my OOA experiences have terminated positively with both of us ascending safely.
    Perhaps a compromise might be in order. What about an AIR II, and an Octo, best of both worlds.

OK, I agree to your compromise, based on all the input on actually OOA scenarios perhaps I need to carefully re-evaluate, particularly if diving with strangers. Although I do not understand why people so often run out of air, I know I know, stuff happens, but my concern is catastrophic failure, not failure to look at your gauges.. but anything is possible I guess.

As a normal course of diving, we check our gauges every two-three minutes. It is a good habit to have, after a while it becomes automatic. Anyway -- maybe we should start a thread on it, and not hijack this one. A good point though-- can be made on these noisemakers..... they will all be worthless if you are out of air-- all our equipment has good old fashioned whistles attached, and you should have that as well.

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Although I do not understand why people so often run out of air, I know I know, stuff happens, but my concern is catastrophic failure, not failure to look at your gauges.. but anything is possible I guess.
    Actually, the catastrophic failure thing is very over rated... It virtually never happens, and when it does, you know something is going on because of the mass of bubbles hitting the water... and everyone else knows too because of the bubble cloud, and you really have a lot more time than you would think to get another reg from a buddy... For example, check out our cutting a divers hose video... Cut clean through a reg hose, and you still have about 30 minutes of time on a full tank...

Scuba Diving Videos Cutting a Divers Hose Scuba Videos

Oh, and speaking of video, I'll try to get that one of the Dive Alerts done up early next week.. ran out of time to do it today! Sorry!

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaToys Larry View Post
    Although I do not understand why people so often run out of air, I know I know, stuff happens, but my concern is catastrophic failure, not failure to look at your gauges.. but anything is possible I guess.
    Actually, the catastrophic failure thing is very over rated... It virtually never happens, and when it does, you know something is going on because of the mass of bubbles hitting the water... and everyone else knows too because of the bubble cloud, and you really have a lot more time than you would think to get another reg from a buddy... For example, check out our cutting a divers hose video... Cut clean through a reg hose, and you still have about 30 minutes of time on a full tank...

Oh, and speaking of video, I'll try to get that one of the Dive Alerts done up early next week.. ran out of time to do it today! Sorry!
    No problems, thank you, I watched that video and highly recommend it, it was hilarious. You guys should keep making these funny video's. You folks have the best videos out there.

I think we established the unit I have probably does not work, but I think the video would be a good sales point. I will pack up the one I got and drop it in the mail Saturday. BTW Vis has been terrible at Windy point last couple of weeks..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaToys Larry View Post

I agree, most of the OOA scenarios I have been involved in were not equipment failures. Most of them involved a newbie going too deep and not watching their air consumption. I can't remember an equipment failure in the last 20 years.
    Loved that video.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Barracuda
    Images

Question

Sometimes times OOA situtions are only percieved OOA situations, I have seen a diver over exert and then over breath his reg and think he was OOA. Also two different deap incidents where a divers reg got (or seemed to get) hard to breathe resulting in an "OOA" incident.

Lastly, Larry, in the vid you mentioned the hose cut was a HP hose was it not? Did it have the very small hole (restriction) in the nipple that screw into the 1st stage? Ever tried cutting an Octo hose or inflator hose? Wonder if the air would go alot quicker??

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WaScubaDude View Post
    Lastly, Larry, in the vid you mentioned the hose cut was a HP hose was it not? Did it have the very small hole (restriction) in the nipple that screw into the 1st stage? Ever tried cutting an Octo hose or inflator hose? Wonder if the air would go alot quicker??
    Be honest, you didn't watch the whole thing, did you???? They talked about that at 3:50. After the first failed attempt on Corbin's life, Mr. Phelps/Kyle tried again. You are right about the LP hose though. Two minutes at shallow depth to empty the tank

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Images
    Sometimes times OOA situtions are only percieved OOA situations, I have seen a diver over exert and then over breath his reg and think he was OOA. Also two different deap incidents where a divers reg got (or seemed to get) hard to breathe resulting in an "OOA" incident.

I think you need to watch the video from the beginning to the end.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    Lastly, Larry, in the vid you mentioned the hose cut was a HP hose was it not? Did it have the very small hole (restriction) in the nipple that screw into the 1st stage? Ever tried cutting an Octo hose or inflater hose? Wonder if the air would go alot quicker??
    Be honest, you didn't watch the whole thing, did you???? They talked about that at 3:50. After the first failed attempt on Corbin's life, Mr. Phelps/Kyle tried again. You are right about the LP hose though. Two minutes at shallow depth to empty the tank
    I watched it when it first was posted, year ago or more and my feeble mind is foggy. The question was more than a little rhetorical. Was hoping that someone would know for sure about the difference between the hp and lp hose draining the tank.

I will watch the entire vid again. It was fun the first time, I remember that much.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information