Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Dive Alert Plus

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by WaScubaDude View Post
    Was hoping that someone would know for sure about the difference between the hp and lp hose draining the tank.
    Oh, I know for sure! But I don't want to give away the end of the movie!

Barracuda
    Images
    Great vid! U R right, shoulda watched it to the end the 1st time.

Is the pool on site at ST?

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by WaScubaDude View Post
    Great vid! U R right, shoulda watched it to the end the 1st time.

Is the pool on site at ST?

Yup.. that's where we do out training....

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekdivr View Post
    Note: PLEASE ONLY USE FOR AN EMERGENCY AS THE NOISE IT MAKES IS ANNOYING.

--Zeagle Eagle

My biggest problem with the device is having it in the hands of someone who abuses it underwater. From a safety standpoint, it can be invaluable. Put in the wrong hands,it can be the most annoying thing on the planet. These things work very well above and below the surface. I was on a liveaboard once,for a week, where a guy had one and signaled his buddy everytime he wanted his attention. All I wanted to do was to swim up from behind and slice his LPI hose in half! If purchased, please treat as an emergency signaling device. With my experience of the aforementioned trip, I probably wouldn't of responded to the guy if he needed help. How do you know if the boy is crying wolf at that point?? By all means, if you find it necessary to purchase one use it for it's intended purpose. This would be an "emergency" signaling device.Stick with a tank banger if you see something cool that needs to be shared with someone. Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Totally agree with you on this one. I have a dive alert solely for emergency situations. I do not use it otherwise.
    They really are invaluable as safety devices.

TadPole
    Just wondering, did I miss the video of the Dive Alert Plus sounding above / underwater?

Grouper
    Images
    "regular" buddies are more fantasy than reality for many of us
    I have been a member of a dive club since 2004, but have never gotten the opprotunity to dive with them outside of the country--which is where I prefer to do most of my diving.

I would love to have a husband/best friend who dives that I can vacation with, but that is not my reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
    Invest in good buddies. I assure you, they'll make your diving more enjoyable than any noisemaker. Use the boards, talk to your LDS, but get regular buddies. They're out there.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhD4JC View Post
    "regular" buddies are more fantasy than reality for many of us
    I have been a member of a dive club since 2004, but have never gotten the opprotunity to dive with them outside of the country--which is where I prefer to do most of my diving.

I would love to have a husband/best friend who dives that I can vacation with, but that is not my reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
    Invest in good buddies. I assure you, they'll make your diving more enjoyable than any noisemaker. Use the boards, talk to your LDS, but get regular buddies. They're out there.
    @PhD4JC That can be a problem I was active in my dive club in Japan. There were a handful of people that I did the majority of my diving there with. I also made fairly frequent dive trips, which were mostly alone. I generally either had a guide as a buddy, or hooked up with someone that I met there. Good luck on meeting someone on your side of the country. Maybe you'll meet someone at your favorite dive destination ;-)

@ Rainer I understand about investing in good dive buddies, but the "noisemaker" really is for emergencies. I've use my Dive Alert Plus twice now on the surface when the boat wasn't there to pick us up at the end of a drift dive (it happens) It's "emergency" equipment. Like anything else it can be abused
    Bill
    Just killing time during my surface interval ;-)
    "If it's too cold for a 3mm, it's cold enough for a drysuit!"

TadPole
    This is at the top of my "to buy" list.

Images
    I have been using mine for about a year now. I carry it on every dive. It has become one of my important safety tools. After a few dives on it the confusion of having an extra button on my inflator hose was gone. I barely notice that it is there. I have never actually used it underwater except to test it during safety stops. I try and always let my DM know, pre-dive, that I will be testing it during my safety stop. I have noticed that it seems to be a little more directional than a tank banger or carabiner. By that, I mean other divers tend to turn towards the sound rather than swiveling around 360 looking for a tank banger.

I usually inflate my DAN SMB with it (it fits the SMB inflator valve perfectly) on ascent just to stay in practice both with the Sausage and the Dive Alert.

After a post dive rinse I soak my regs and my Dive alert in filtered water at home prior to storing it.

I don't use it to point out pretty fish or to get my buddies attention. For me, it is emergency use only.
    --Zeagle Eagle

TadPole
    Dive alert has arrived. Now I just need to get it wet!!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread Information