Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to clean mask skirts?

Barracuda

Best way to clean mask skirts?

Now I know why people LOVE all black masks. And here I thought you black face mask wearers just lacked personal style.

I looked at my mask yesterday and the clear skirting around the face and in the nose pocket is starting to get, well, icky. By icky I mean there is a residue that can be scratched off and it looks cloudy.

I always RINSE my mask thoroughly immediately after using it and allow it to air dry, but I don't use any soap products, so cool water will probably only do so much. After the mask is dried thoroughly, I store it in its clear plastic case.

What can I use on the clear skirting sections to remove the residue and cloudiness? I don't want to start applying products arbitrarily.

I can't remember the exact make/model of my mask. I know it was a 2008 low profile design. If this makes a difference, please let me know and I will post the make/model when I get home tonight.
    No one has ever retold valiant stories of logic - for all good stories are driven by emotion and the spirit.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    //thread-jack
    Actually, black masks are preferred by photographers, because it blocks-out ambient light in our eyes and permits better focus.
    //end of thread-jack

I, too, will be interested in the answer, because I do have a couple clear-skirted masks with orange residue of some sort.
    rick

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Try Soft Scrub.

But this is the very reason why many prefer black-skirted masks... at some point, the discoloration happens to the clear silicon itself.

Grouper
    "At some point" usually meaning within a few months. I have two identical clear-skirt masks, one that I've used frequently, and one that has been out of its case maybe twice in its life. The unused one still looks brand new, with a clear, almost bluish tint. The once that's been used has definitely yellowed. But it hasn't affected the performance of the mask.

Grouper
    You might try scrubbing it gently with an extra-soft toothbrush.

Shark Founding Member
    Try running it through the dishwasher (top rack, no dry cycle), then apply a small amount of food grade silicone grease to the skirt.

I've been doing this same routine since we bought my husband's mask 5 years ago and there's no yellowing at all.
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeylemon View Post
    You might try scrubbing it gently with an extra-soft toothbrush.
    Yes, and use Crest regular toothpaste with it. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenagirl View Post
    Try running it through the dishwasher (top rack, no dry cycle), then apply a small amount of food grade silicone grease to the skirt.

I've been doing this same routine since we bought my husband's mask 5 years ago and there's no yellowing at all.
    I once ran some non-sticks pans through the dishwasher. When they came out they looked 'different' and not in a good way. Recently, I got lazy and decided to try the pot but this time I used the delicate cycle. The pot looks fine. Based on this, I'd recommend using the delicate cycle on your mask.

Guppy
    I like the toothpaste method have done it my self.

Guppy
    Try a mild bleach solution and soak it a few minutes. The silicon / glass is un-effected by the bleach. A rinse after with hot water should do the trick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information