Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry On Gear Backpack- Recommendations?

Grouper

Carry On Gear Backpack- Recommendations?

Hello all. I'm looking for a backpack type of bag which I can take on flights. I would like to keep my gear in this bag as my "personal item" while my everyday regular clothing (and wetsuit) will go in my carry on size luggage bag. Are there any types of bags which will handle this task? I've looked a bit online and the options are dizzying.
    The restrictions by many airlines in charging you for checking even one bag is getting ridiculous. Thanks for your help.

Stahlsac is a proven but expensive option.

I recently looked at the Oceaninc At-Pak which looks to be a quality setup for a good price.

There is another one out there that is a folding backpack that looked really slick, but can't remember the name. Wasn't cheap best I can remember.

Grouper
    Images
    I have this bag:

Porter Series : Porter 46 : : Osprey Packs, Inc.

It fits AA restrictions which ironicly are the most restrictive.

My Christmas present from my wife: she paid 99 for it
    I recently did a trip to San Diego for a week. 2 pairs of shoes, 2 pairs of jeans, 2 sweatshirts, 4 shirts, 5 t-shirts, 5 pair underwear, 5 pairs of socks, two pair workout shorts. and had enough room for 3 large books that I got at conference (microsoft large)

A great bag. back pack straps are built in - the pads could be beefier, but better than hand holding and carrying through lay over at airport.
    acckkk ack ack ack ackkk (we come in peace)

I love Osprey packs when backpacking... no reason to think this one won't last a good long time.

Guppy
    For years I just carried a medium size climbing pack(Wild Things Ice Sack) but I got a little complementary day pack from the Agressor fleet for my upcoming trip and it should be even better, with room for mask, can light, regulators, and small items. It will actually be easier for the TSA people to look at than the larger single-compartment pack I used to carry. It isn't rugged or useful for much else, but it doesn't need to be. (The iPhone means I won't be needing room for a laptop any more.)
    Last edited by rongoodman; 02-22-2009 at 14:01.

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
    There is another one out there that is a folding backpack that looked really slick, but can't remember the name. Wasn't cheap best I can remember.
    Dive Caddy $240

This thing looks pretty sweet! I just don't get to travel enough to justify the cost.

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba.pete View Post
    Dive Caddy $240

This thing looks pretty sweet! I just don't get to travel enough to justify the cost.

Great idea! The price is pretty steep though......
    DevilDiver

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDiver View Post
    Dive Caddy $240

i agree. this is a very nice dive bag. it is compact and handy. i hope they will lower their price.

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by chocka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDiver View Post
    Dive Caddy $240

i agree. this is a very nice dive bag. it is compact and handy. i hope they will lower their price.
    That has got to be the sweetest bag I've ever seen! I definitely see one of those in my future. Hey, I have a related question. I've never traveled with a large camera rig, but am thinking of getting a pretty nice setup...dual strobes, lens, etc. Regardless of which brand I go with, it will end up in a fairly good sized case. If I had one of these Dive Caddy bags with everything in it (including clothes) as a carry-on, how do I also take the camera rig without having to check it? Would I be allowed to carry the large camera case on also?

Grouper
    Images
    I bought a carryon that can be also used as a backpack for under 100.00 back in April it's made by Deep See. It holds everything I got my bcd, fins (atomic splits), wetsuit, hood, mask, regs, lights, snorkel, boots, and log book, aslo a water bottle (on outside pocket). At first I didn't think I would be able to get everything in but I was shocked when I did. I stopped by my lds and asked about bags the owner told me about this one and said I could try it out and see if I could get everything in it before I bought it. At first glance the bag looked smaller than my fins but they went in with no problems.

Here's the link:
    Deep See: Part of the Aqua Lung Family of Brands

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information