Thread: dry suit, neoprene or apnea?

dry suit, neoprene or apnea?

I am at the point that I need to buy myself a warmer suit in order to dive all year round. Apart from that I am slowly entering the world of tech diving. I am currently diving in a 3 mill with a 2 mill hooded vest.

I have the choice of buying a drysuit, a thicker neoprene or an open cell apnea suit.
    Here in Hong Kong everybody discourage me to buy a drysuit as they claim the seals disintegrate in this climate (high temp and high humidity) but I see a drysuit as very convenient as you dont have to get naked and take a shower after diving. (in the winter temperatures around 15 degrees celsius, water around 20 degrees celsius). I also am planning to dive some flooded coal mines in China where the water is very cold.

I've read an impressive article about apnea suits (ice diving with a 7 mill) and they are relatively cheap.

Apart from that I can get myself a custom made 7 mill wetsuit made for around US$ 250.-

Needless to say my buget is tight in days like these but I don't want to settle for second choice.

What should I do?
    I wish somebody would call me 'sir' without adding 'you are causing a scene...'
    DivingAnarchy.info

Banned
    You're considering "tech diving" on a tight budget? Good luck.

In any case, if that's your goal, get a DS. Your climate is not nearly as humid or hot as FL, and all of those guys doing deco dives are using dry suits...

I am not considering tech diving on a budget. But every purchase I do will be well considered. I once read this prase:" It doesn't take a big rock to trow in a window". I try to live by that rule.
    Tech diving doesn't have to be extremely expensive.
    DivingAnarchy.info

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DivingAnarchy.info View Post
    Sure, if you're rich.

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by DivingAnarchy.info View Post
    Perhaps not, but I really can't imagine how it could be otherwise, even if you buy all the right things the first time.

In any case, you want a drysuit. Given the kind of diving you're talking about, I wouldn't even consider a wet suit or apnea skin. A drysuit and appropriate undergarment not only will provide you with the best thermal protection for cold water and long exposure times during decompression, but it'll act as a redundant source of buoyancy. If you're planning on diving with steel doubles, and you would be silly not to if you're tech diving, that becomes an important safety consideration so you can get back to the surface should your BC fail at depth.

I don't think the breakdown of seals should be a problem. You can get either neoprene or latex seals, and if wetsuits don't disintegrate, I don't think they would either, although most drysuit owners do change their seals every several years.
    Last edited by MSilvia; 02-24-2009 at 13:16.
    Matt Silvia

Thanks Matt!
    "redundant source of buoyancy" is all I need to convince my girlfriend that I realy need that dry-suit. I guess I'll go for neoprene seals.

Now I only need to know what to choose: pee-valve or diapers?
    DivingAnarchy.info

Pee valve, especially since not having to shower down was in your original list of pro's vs con's.
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Ha, that's a sharp one!
    DivingAnarchy.info

Guppy
    Definitely go Drysuit. Also, with proper care, the seals should not be a problem. There are some lubricant/protectants that are made for just those reasons.

Thanks,
    The shop where I do most of my buying sells tri-laminate dry suits from Diving Concepts. Does anybody have experience with these or an opinion about them.
    Comments are very much welcome. UltraFlex Pro Drysuit
    DivingAnarchy.info

Thread Information