Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Close threads.

Grouper

Close threads.

You really need to allow us to close threads that we started. I know that we can close classifieds, but we need to close thread to prevent their resurrection. This way we can get new blood and stop a tread that has been answered.
    Thanks.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Quote Originally Posted by ektess1 View Post
    You really need to allow us to close threads that we started. I know that we can close classifieds, but we need to close thread to prevent their resurrection. This way we can get new blood and stop a tread that has been answered.
    Thanks.
    I agree. I hate it when ancient threads get resurrected. Usually by a me-too response.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    What's wrong with ancient threads being resurrected? Other than a "me too" response, of course.

Quite often, somebody who was not around when the thread originated may have something to add.

To Original Poster does not "own" the thread. It belongs to the community.

Bottom line: I disagree.
    rick

Grouper
    The origanal thread had probably been answered. I am not talking about garbage threated like you subscribe to. ie mens or surface interval. I am talking about question and answers that pertain to scuba divingl
    Live, Love, Laugh

I say automatically close them or archive after no responses in 90 days or so. It is usually a board feature or often a simple scheduled query to do so. Normally I could care less, but I have to admit it sucks when you hit the new post and there are a ton of threads with no useful information on any of them because a user is just trying to get the discount.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Things change. Suppose years back somebody asked about how to ascend from the deep. The answer given was to head straight up non stop and the consensus agreed with it, thread closed.

FF a couple years when science showed a safety stop and deep stops were beneficial. Can't update the thread, it's closed.

Now, when a person searches they get the old thread, see it's good to just come straight up no stops and dives that way, when the new science says that stops are better for you. They don't know that because on their search of threads they stopped reading when post after post said the other.

Get my point? I'm in the camp of warn them it's an old thread like scubaboard does, but allow the post because new info does happen once in a while.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

trust the brain

The default cut off time for a thread is 1 month. Maybe there should be a default cut off time for search. If the user goes to advanced search they can change how far back the search will go.

What does everyone think?

This wouldn't be an issue except every new subscriber goes through the old threads and adds a me-too response in order to jack the post count to 250. People that do that are just jerks. If you have important info to add, go ahead and resurrect an old thread. Don't do it for a me too response. Anything else is just uncivilized.

Quote Originally Posted by BouzoukiJoe View Post
    This wouldn't be an issue except every new subscriber goes through the old threads and adds a me-too response in order to jack the post count to 250. People that do that are just jerks. If you have important info to add, go ahead and resurrect an old thread. Don't do it for a me too response. Anything else is just uncivilized.
    Is this really a problem? Or is it just so annoying that when it does happen it sticks out in your mind?

I usually do a 'New Posts' every time I come onto the board. I haven't noticed an annoying amount of 'me-too' posts.

Perhaps I annoy too easily.

And I exaggerated when I said 'every new subscriber'- this is far from the truth. Most don't. There have been a notable few post-whores though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information