Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dive Op's?? Cairns, Australia

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images

Dive Op's?? Cairns, Australia

I have a some friends going to Cairns at the end of April. Both are O/W cert. and looking for a good dive op to book with.

Any suggestions that I could pass along??

Thanks!
    DevilDiver

Grouper
    Some mighty good airfares out there for Australia right now. Read on a forum a while back somewhere that if you can be super-flexible you can get a good liveaboard rate by showing up a day or two early and checking for empty slots.
    "Are there any brave men left in Washington or are they all cowards?"

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    *Bump*

Still looking for any suggestions/oppinions for dive op's in the Cairns area.

Thanks!
    DevilDiver

Grouper
    Unluckily your choices are narrowing, if you want to go to the Northern Ribbon Reefs and the Coral Sea, the best areas the only two left are Spirit of Freedom and Spoilsport. For the inner reefs and/or shorter trips Deep Sea Divers Den - Cairns Diving | Cairns PADI Dive Centre | Diving The Great Barrier Reef have both day and overnight trips. If you have the time the Coral Sea and ribbon Reefs are fantastic.
    Any dive you survive is a good dive

Guppy
    The Taka boat (owned by Divers Den these days) has been repaired and is still doing the Coral Sea trips as well.

Grouper
    Last Nov, we did an overnight on OceanQuest Deep Sea Divers Den - OceanQuest - Cairns Luxury Liveaboard Diving . You actually go on two boats, the ReefQuest and then OceanQuest. ReefQuest was a bit packed with people, however, once on the OceanQuest, it was more comfortable and a well run operation.

If I were to do it again, however, I would take a boat to the Coral Sea, or at least leave out of Port Douglas (Some outfits will provide transportation from Cairns). Some of the closer in dive sites to Cairns were close to dead with limited fish. Others were healthier.

Guppy
    Images
    I agree the best dive trip itinery if time permits is definitely ..leave Port Douglas in one of the 3 large boats mentioned. They will start diving at the Agincoutre reefs head up the ribbons diving at such places as Steves Bommie, Pixie Pinicles, Cod Hole Out to Osprey reef in the Coral Sea and back with a little stop over at Lizard Island. Lots of superb easy diving. I think they do it in about 8 days or so. They tieto morring right at the dive sites and the divers just step of the back the boat. Often they travel of a night so the divers awaken to a new beautifull location. The boats are big stable & sea worthy, maybe sea sick tablets on the way to Osprey reefs in the coral sea would be only requirement.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrdiver View Post
    The Taka boat (owned by Divers Den these days) has been repaired and is still doing the Coral Sea trips as well.
    Glad to hear, that was quick, will be back up there later in the year, the more boats the better the stand-by rates
    Any dive you survive is a good dive

Grouper
    Images
    When I was in Cairns, my wife and I did an overnight trip on Reef Encounter. Their staff was friendly and the food was amazing. We didn't get to do the night dive due to weather conditions, but it was a good time.

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Try shooting an email to [email protected] He's a bud of mine that owns a shop in Coffs Harbor, where I'll be diving in a few months. Scuba Diving Courses, SCUBA Dive trips to the Solitary Islands Marine Park, Scuba Training, Scuba Equipment, Coffs Harbour between Sydney & Brisbane Australia- Jetty Dive

Tell him Larry sent you, and I'm sure he knows some good folks up there that he can recommend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information