Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Acid reflux at depth? Anyone?

Grouper

Acid reflux at depth? Anyone?

I was wondering if anyone who suffers from frequent acid reflux or indigestion ever has symptoms appear at depth when diving?

Grouper
    I've had this problem since I started diving and though I really didn't give it much consideration before I started diving but was curious if it was from compression at depth pushing inward forcing acid up.

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    This was a huge problem for Joe... to the point where he would down half a bottle of pepto before a dive - and still had the problem. One day, he borrowed my reg - and magically - no problem.

Turns out his was caused by the extremely dry air you get when diving, and I use a Bio Filter on my reg. So not being a doctor - but we assumed it had something to do with the throat drying out so much that was causing the problem, and by adding the humidity back into the air he was breathing - the symptoms all disappeared. Now he has no problems, and doesn't have to over dose on pepto if he uses the bio filter.

So whether it's bio filter, or make sure you get in tons of fluids before the dive, and maybe those juice packs to try to drink underwater - see if not drying out your mouth, throat, etc can cure your problem.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Good to know, Larry. My wife may be getting certified soon, and has acid reflux. I'll keep an eye out and make recommendations as needed.

Grouper
    Images
    Ordering Bio-Filter ASAP. I haven't been diving in three days and I'm still popping Tums as of this morning. It's been like this since I started diving. Dive for three to five days straight and pop Roll-Aides or Tums for two to three days. I've tried Pepto, Tums etc... before/after nada, still got the acid crap.

Thanks for the advice. Will report back the effectiveness for me.
    People are always bitching about getting what they deserve... I think if they did they'd be greatly disappointed.

Grouper
    Wow, I actually feel like I did something helpful.....

Grouper
    Hye Larry, do you suppose you could add a flavoring or flavored water to the filter?
    Hell, I'm up for adding spiced rum.....

Long Tailed Thresher Shark
    Well, that is an interesting idea Larry. I wonder if my reg can be outfitted with the Bio Filter.

Most likely though, people with mild reflux not requiring any attention on land will have more severe symptoms simply because of the position they are maintaining while diving. Acid doesn't roll uphill very easily when you are standing or even lying down, but when diving, it certainly can role downhill very easily due to the position you are in.

It really should not be taken too lightly. Not only is it very uncomfortable to be having these symptoms while diving, it can actually be a little dangerous. You could aspirate acid into your lungs. If you are having these symptoms, take a real acid blocker before your dives, not TUMS which is more for symptom relief. You can get an H2 antagonist like Pepcid and Zantac over the counter, or you can a proton pump inhibitor like Prilosec over the counter. But I'd take something.

I use Zantac before my dives. It is a less complete acid blockade than the proton pump inhibitors but is enough for my symptoms underwater.
    Last edited by Lulubelle; 03-06-2009 at 15:18.

Instructor, Technical & Cave Diver "Forum Admin" TommyB's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulubelle View Post
    Well, that is an interesting idea Larry. I wonder if my reg can be outfitted with the Bio Filter.
    Yes, Pretty much all regs can use it.
    The Bio Filter hooks to the first stage LP port. Then the LP hose hooks to the Bio Filter then to the 2nd stage Reg.
    Bio Filter is attached to the LP port on the 1st stage.

So, any reg should be able to use it, long as they use the standard LP hose
    Tommy Burchfield Naui/TDI/SDI
    if ( $clue == \'none\' ) { read ( sig & avatar rules | forum rules ) && search ( forums | google ) }
    if ( $answer == 0 ){ post->question }

I take Prilosec daily (prescribed) and do not have any trble with my acid reflux... Miss a couple days and here it comes.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information