Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little house keeping...

Moderator Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod

A little house keeping...

Today a thread was reported that I was a little disappointed about. If you have a problem with someone in a thread, please click the report button. Let the mods deal with them. Please don't air out dirty laundry on the forum. It does nothing but bring everyone else down. Please help us keep the level of respect held high. There are many great divers and people here. Please remember that everyone is entitled to their own opinions and respect that. There is no need to be rude or hostile towards one another. If you disagree, find a new place to hang.

Just a friendly reminder:
    Quote Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post
    Hi all! Wow! What a wild 15 months it has been since Joe and Larry gave us this place to hang out! I don't know about y'all, but I have learned a ton and have met many new friends...several of which I consider life long friends. It was very clear when the forum first started that there were some guidelines that we were expected to follow. We have lots of new members that have since joined and may not realize what is expected of us. I figured that it may not be a bad time to remind everyone of the basic guidelines of the forum.

1. Absolutely, under no circumstances, should anyone ever be flamed on our forum.
    2. RESPECT! Nobody likes to be disrespected...please treat all of our members with respect.
    3. BE KIND! Sometimes when things are being debated, it can be hard to be kind to a fellow forum member that has disagreed with you. Please try hard to be kind even when you don't want to be.
    4. Please keep profanity to a minimum. We do have children on this forum and try to maintain a family atmosphere. This forum is open to all ages 13 and up.
    5. If you have a problem with #1-4...you may want to find a new place to hang.

I feel that it is very important to respect Joe and Larry's wishes regarding the forum. Help us keep this place a fun place to be.
    If I can't scuba then what's this whole thing about, what am I working toward? - Creed "The Office"

ST-Forum Mod
    I received a PM from JCAT. He had some interesting insight about the thread that I removed earlier. I'm gonna post it here cause I think it is valid and worth mentioning.

JCAT, Thanks for sending this to me. Your contribution to the forum is always appreciated.

"I tend to stay away from certain threads, I would like to say a few things.

There are many diverse cultural norms on any forum. Many geographical regions represented here on ST. It is important to interpret what someone is saying based on "their" location and point of view.

For example--My wife watches American Idol, A early contestant was not given a ticket forward and made a remark while leaving. "Ya'll be careful" is what he said. To me, having been raised in rural areas and in the context in which the contestant stated the above, I saw no harm. The judges being who they are, were frightened.

My point is that tolerance is needed on any forum. If you have a problem with what someone has posted, call them on it. Be very, very specific and quote the poster using the quote function. Explain why you have taken offense and allow the poster to respond.

9 Out of 10 times you'll find the problem was the wrong interpretation of the post.

cheers"
    Last edited by Foo2; 03-14-2009 at 11:37.
    If I can't scuba then what's this whole thing about, what am I working toward? - Creed "The Office"

Long Tailed Thresher Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post
    I received a PM from JCAT. He had some interesting insight about the thread that I removed earlier. I'm gonna post it here cause I think it is valid and worth mentioning.

JCAT, Thanks for sending this to me. Your contribution to the forum is always appreciated.

"I tend to stay away from certain threads, I would like to say a few things.

There are many diverse cultural norms on any forum. Many geographical regions represented here on ST. It is important to interpret what someone is saying based on "their" location and point of view.

For example--My wife watches American Idol, A early contestant was not given a ticket forward and made a remark while leaving. "Ya'll be careful" is what he said. To me, having been raised in rural areas and in the context in which the contestant stated the above, I saw no harm. The judges being who they are, were frightened.

My point is that tolerance is needed on any forum. If you have a problem with what someone has posted, call them on it. Be very, very specific and quote the poster using the quote function. Explain why you have taken offense and allow the poster to respond.

9 Out of 10 times you'll find the problem was the wrong interpretation of the post.

cheers"
    I'd agree that it is easy to read something and not have the full context. I recently PM'ed someone about a thread that I found offensive and gently explained why. A nice exchange ensued.

Not everyone is gifted in having their points come across exactly as intended when they communicate in writing.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone use "y'all" in anger, to JCAT's point.

Grand Master Spammer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulubelle View Post

I'll have to agree with that. If you're pissed at someone, use any word except for "y'all". It just simply isn't conducive to anger.

Now, I'll give you examples of some "effective" terms:

(naw, just kidding....they're in my mind, but I won't post them here )
    Diving is safe.....People are dangerous!

Grouper
    Images
    Being new to the forum I agree 100%. I'm testing the waters trying to get to know peoples online "personalities". Lots of good folks here but it is easy to have a misunderstanding when you don't have the visual queues of face-to-face interactions.

Quote Originally Posted by mm2002 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulubelle View Post
    I'll have to agree with that. If you're pissed at someone, use any word except for "y'all". It just simply isn't conducive to anger.

Now, I'll give you examples of some "effective" terms:

(naw, just kidding....they're in my mind, but I won't post them here )
    I'm findin y'all Norgandesians are some funny folks . . . . . and HOT too!

Grand Master Spammer
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastie6 View Post
    I'm findin y'all Norgandesians are some funny folks . . . . . and HOT too!
    Thank ya!
    (or, in Norgandesian, that would be "dunk wa")
    Diving is safe.....People are dangerous!

ST-Forum Mod
    I'm bumping this thread due to 2 threads that were removed last night. They were a public flaming of an individual on the forum. This is strictly against forum rules!!! If you have a problem with someone, please try to work it out with them in private messages or report them to the mods. Our forum is better than this...and will remain that way. Please treat others as you would like to be treated.

Grand Master Spammer
    Things got nasty huh? Sad sad. Glad I wasn't around.

Glad said thread was removed, was a little surprised it went on as long as it did actually and on this forum too, that being said I did nothing about it other than read it and try to work out who it was referring to, feel a bit stink about that. Oh well addressed and sorted now. Thanks Mod man/woman. Hopefully they will read this thread and return at some stage, im sure no real harm was meant as mostly great people hang out here. Cheers.

Grouper
    Ya'll play nice!

or as one of my WV friends would say. "Youins play nice"

cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information