Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heading to Kona and Looking for Info

TadPole

Heading to Kona and Looking for Info

I will be heading to Kona in May and am looking for dive op recommendations. I am also planning on doing the Manta Ray dive.

I appreciate any info regarding shore diving, dive ops or anyone interested in shore diving May 16 May 25.

vanessar

Grouper
    Two Steps is absolutely amazing! Is definitely in my top 5, and is just as good for snorkeling as for diving. When we were there we saw serveral turtles, several types of eels, octopus, cuttlefish and tons of fish. Some very big humu's, of both kinds. The plate coral mountains start at about 20 feet and go all the way down to 90 or so, one of the coolest things I've seen.

We did the manta dive, but none showed up From everyone else that HAS seen them, it's supposed to be one of the coolest dives you can do.

Forgot to mention, Two Steps is a shore dive

TadPole
    Setesh,

Appreciate the info and I will add 2 Steps to the list. Hope my Manta dive is not Manta free as I am planning on doing this one on my birthday.

vanessar

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by vanessar View Post
    Setesh,

Appreciate the info and I will add 2 Steps to the list. Hope my Manta dive is not Manta free as I am planning on doing this one on my birthday.

vanessar
    Me too! The swell was just to big when we went. We were the only ones out there, and it's the cumulative effect of the lights from all the boats that draws the plankton, and therefor, the mantas. As long as there is good weather then they usually come to play. Good luck!

Grouper
    I use Kona Hon Divers for my boat trips and manta dives. They are some of the most courteous people you can dive with. Do the 2 tank manta dive with them, (the last time I was there Jan 20th we saw 5 mantas), the first dive is the afternoon dive called garden eel cove where at 60-70 ft you can see garden eels on occasion. It is the same spot as the manta dive, you pass it on the way to see the garden eels. The manta dive is truly amazing and is a MUST do!!! Here is a link to the web site with a video clip of the mantas.
    World Famous Kona Manta Ray Night Dive!

Two step is a great shore dive also, but get there early because parking is limited.

There are many spots to go for shore dives, get a map from the dive shop and enjoy!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by chilly willy View Post
    I use Kona Hon Divers for my boat trips and manta dives. They are some of the most courteous people you can dive with. Do the 2 tank manta dive with them, (the last time I was there Jan 20th we saw 5 mantas), the first dive is the afternoon dive called garden eel cove where at 60-70 ft you can see garden eels on occasion. It is the same spot as the manta dive, you pass it on the way to see the garden eels. The manta dive is truly amazing and is a MUST do!!! Here is a link to the web site with a video clip of the mantas.
    World Famous Kona Manta Ray Night Dive!

Two step is a great shore dive also, but get there early because parking is limited.

There are many spots to go for shore dives, get a map from the dive shop and enjoy!
    Chilly,

I appreciate the info and will look at Kona Hon.

THanks,

Vanessar

Grouper
    I just noticed I missed a key, it's Kona Honu Divers.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.

TadPole
    check out Waikoloa Coast Divers and Kohala Divers...N. of Kona, different, and fantastic. I also recommend shore diving off of Puako Point.

Barracuda
    Images
    I'm going to be in Kona in June and looking to do some shore diving. Any ideas on ways to find dive buddies?
    - Fisheater

Shark
    I have been to Kona several times. For your first time diving with the Mantas I would suggest Jacks and make sure Keller is on board. I have also dove with Big Island divers and Kona Honu. Both great ops...only thing with Kona Honu is they have a bigger boat and it can become a bit like a cattle boat. If you dive with them make sure they are running the smaller boat and it is not crowded if not go over to Big Island divers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information