Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Dog Question

  1. #1
    Grouper
    Join Date
    08/19/2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    732

    Dog Question

    Has anyone adopted a retired racing greyhound? We are seriously considering it, but would love to hear from someone who's done it. I met some of the dogs this weekend, and they are so cool and chilled out for such big dogs. In the middle of Petco with other dogs going nuts everywhere, they were calmly just checking things out.

    I really want a dog that can go everywhere with us, we live near a huge state park and like to go geocaching there, we have some nice trails near our house, like to go to the beach in the summer, visiting family, camping, etc. Can greyhounds do all this stuff? They look almost fragile because of being so tall and skinny.

  2. #2
    Grouper
    Join Date
    12/13/2007
    Location
    Cumberland, MD
    Age
    45
    Posts
    408
    Images
    3
    I don't have any personal experience, but my next dog is definitely going to be a greyhound rescue. We have a local greyhound rescue and I have visited them a few times, and their dogs are beautiful, and very well behaved. I don't know if you have ever seen the 'Breed All About It" episode about greyhounds, but here is a link...

    Breed All About It: Greyhound - AOL Video

    I currently have 2 large dogs now, and just don't have room for any more. I'm not looking forward to the day when I have room for another, but when I do, I'm definitely going Greyhound.
    “If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” -- Jimmy Buffett
    http://www.mandtoates.net/diveblog/ -- http://www.westernmarylanddivers.com/index.php

  3. #3
    Grouper
    Join Date
    12/22/2007
    Location
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by caroln View Post
    Has anyone adopted a retired racing greyhound? We are seriously considering it, but would love to hear from someone who's done it. I met some of the dogs this weekend, and they are so cool and chilled out for such big dogs. In the middle of Petco with other dogs going nuts everywhere, they were calmly just checking things out.

    I really want a dog that can go everywhere with us, we live near a huge state park and like to go geocaching there, we have some nice trails near our house, like to go to the beach in the summer, visiting family, camping, etc. Can greyhounds do all this stuff? They look almost fragile because of being so tall and skinny.
    It just so happens that my nextdoor neighbor places greyhounds with adoptive families, and has 4 of their own. I realize you wouldn't be getting one from Oklahoma, but still you can talk to them about it. I'll pm you his number.

  4. #4
    Grouper
    Join Date
    10/15/2007
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    378
    We adopted a rescue Golden two years ago and would definitely do it again. It should be pretty easy to find local rescue operations and while the screening process was very thorough I feel it was appropriate. No matter the kind of dog you're after going rescue is a great option especially if you're in a situation where you can't do a puppy like we were.

    Good luck!

  5. #5
    Megalodon
    Join Date
    11/12/2007
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Age
    58
    Posts
    14,155
    Images
    13
    I had a Greyhound that we adopted from a local track. He was about the greatest dog I have ever owned, bar none. For the most part, very polite, quite and very friendly. No one didn't like Willie (his racing name was Win-Crazy Willie) They may look fragile, but Willie was pretty stout. He also loved to travel with us. At the time, we had a Toyota elica and he took up the whole back seat.

    My recommendation, adopt one and you will never regret it.

    I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

  6. #6
    Greyhounds are great dogs, but they do require substantial exercise and you can't generally let them off leash since they are site hounds and obviously fast. If neither of those are issues, I say go for it. They really do make outstanding pets.

  7. #7
    Grouper
    Join Date
    08/19/2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    732
    Quote Originally Posted by setesh View Post
    It just so happens that my nextdoor neighbor places greyhounds with adoptive families, and has 4 of their own. I realize you wouldn't be getting one from Oklahoma, but still you can talk to them about it. I'll pm you his number.
    Thank you!!!

  8. #8
    Grouper
    Join Date
    08/19/2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    732
    We are in the position where we could get a puppy, because I have a lot of time off coming up, but we prefer a rescue. We have a bit of disagreement over what size of dog to get, but my husband will agree to a big one if it's a greyhound. I'm taking him to a meet and greet next weekend to make sure he likes them in person, but I don't want to put in an application to a rescue group until I've done all my research because I don't want to waste their time.

    Thanks for all the replies!

  9. #9
    Grouper
    Join Date
    12/31/2007
    Location
    Bacalacadaca street, Afghanistan
    Age
    59
    Posts
    317
    Images
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
    Greyhounds are great dogs, but they do require substantial exercise and you can't generally let them off leash since they are site hounds and obviously fast. If neither of those are issues, I say go for it. They really do make outstanding pets.
    I adopted a Beagle, also a hound several years ago. Ernie is a great dog - very gentle, but Since he is a hound when he see's or smells a squirrel He's off....and He may go for miles before he realizes he's lost (I've had to pick him up from 'Doggy-jail' twice, and I can't count the number of times I've had to drive around and call for him)

  10. #10
    Megalodon
    Join Date
    11/12/2007
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Age
    58
    Posts
    14,155
    Images
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
    Greyhounds are great dogs, but they do require substantial exercise and you can't generally let them off leash since they are site hounds and obviously fast. If neither of those are issues, I say go for it. They really do make outstanding pets.
    Actually, with a little rehab/untraining they do well. With our GH, we easily trained him to sit/stay in one spot, then we could jog off about 200 yards, call him and he'd come running. One of the coolest things you can see is a Grey Hound headed straigh towards you. Talk about stream lined! It's a sight to behold.

    I might add that our GH was very quiet-most of the time. The two times he gave a low threatening growl was while he ws looking out the front window after dark. In both cases, there was something afoot in the neighdorhood-the first time, someone had tried to steal our neighbors truck and our turing the porch light on made them take off, the other time, the PD stopped by and asked if we had seen anyone prowling around. Our GH was amply rewarded both times!

    Since my wife is a vet, she used ours as a donor dog ocassionally-he didn't mind, that meant a trip to McD's for a cheese burger when he ws done.

    I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Dog House
    By mm_dm in forum Surface Interval
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-12-2008, 20:12
  2. Is there no shame? Underwater dog
    By thor in forum Fun and Games!
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 15:55
  3. DUI dog days
    By dagrath in forum Dry Suits
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-17-2008, 10:33
  4. DUI Dog Days
    By caroln in forum Dutch Springs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 11:41
  5. Good dog
    By MSilvia in forum Surface Interval
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-01-2008, 22:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •