Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DIR?

Guppy Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude
    Short answer is "no". Unless I am mixing my terminology up, there are no DIR-approved CCRs.

There is one SCR they are ok with (RB80), but the prereqs are pretty steep (Tech2, for instance), and in general, I'd say they're more about open circuit.

http://www.gue.com/Training/Technical/rebreather.html
    <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

There happen to be a few of highly thought of GUE/DIR divers that do happen to dive CCR units. Now does GUE certify divers in any unit other that the Halcyon RB80. No. Why? Because that is the current unit that they have experience in and continue to meets their needs. Will that change. I imagine that a new unit or modifications to the current one might start development soon as their research teams (WKPP actual dives) are beginning toreach the functional limits of a single unit.

So the questions becomes can DIR philosphies be applied to a CCR unit?
    Some think so http://www.dirrebreather.com/
    I don't know exactly who these guys are or what they teach or their background.

I do dive a CCR and I do dive DIR.
    Thanks,
    Woody

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    The question I answered was "Is there a DIR for CCR divers?"

DIR divers, however skilled, who happen to applying some DIR principles while diving in CCRs does not make CCRs DIR.

I refer you to the dreaded "Monkey Diving" thread on ScubaBoard, should it ever come back to life.

This may change in the future, of course, but as things stand now, there are no official DIR-approved ways to use or train for a CCR. Things get stickier if you start to get into GUE vs. DIR (generally), but for now it's safe to say the GUE website is the official word, and the RB80 (an SCR not a CCR) is the only non-OC device currently officially endorsed by GUE.

Grouper Founding Member
    Based on what I've read, the main reasons for not having a "DIR" approved CCR is the electronics and standard breathing gas.GUEhas identifiedthe additional failure points of the electronics, O2 sensors, etc... as being too risky.Also with a CCR you usually have to have a stage/bailout bottle with the appropriate mix for your depth. With the SCR you feed it with the same mix that you would breath open circuit. In the event of a failure in the rebreather,a flick of the switch on the mouthpiece and you're breathing your back gas OC.
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>I'm not a rebreather diver so everything is just hear say and my 2 pennies.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Ron</DIV>

Guppy Founding Member

CompuDude-Iíve never seen a "DIR" approved certification process or equipment. Even according to GUE, DIR has grown beyond the realm of GUE. Many others have picked up the reigns and carried the torch forward. DIR is a diving philosophy and not merely a gear configuration scheme. I do believe that DIR has made a substantial impact on the sport and look for continued improvements to the sport diving community.
    <DIV>WaterRat, you are exactly right! Oneomission is the design of the unit. If the RB80 stops working, you will know it b/c it stops breathing, telling you to switch over to a bailout.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Thanks,</DIV>
    <DIV>Woody</DIV>

Grouper Founding Member
    Yeah, I think they referred to that as an "Intuitive Alarm". Real fancy word for this dang thing is busted and I need air.

Exclamation

Don't know if I'm a tekkie or not,but I am a PSD, and use a CCR(Megalodon)when I have a really long bottom time with no deco obs,and as for the DIR please don't get me started!I was diving in FL on my meg and one of them who was diving OC told me I was DIW (doin it wrong) I'm the one with the cert. on it and 258 hrs.!! GO FIGURE!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information