Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Anybody here dive the B29 in Lake Mead?

  1. #1

    Anybody here dive the B29 in Lake Mead?

    I may be doing a road trip this fall that would include Las Vegas. I was looking for information on doing this dive, and I see that there are supposed to be 2 operations authorized to do the tour. I emailed xtremescuba about it and received no reply. Does anyone know when the permit year starts/ends or who the other operator is?
    If you have done the dive, would you recommend it? My wife isn't Deco certified, so are there any must see sites around Lake Mead that I could take her to?
    Thanks,
    Dave

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    04/17/2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,042
    Contact Joel Silverstein over at TDL. He's the other operator and probably has more dives on the B29 than anyone else.

  3. #3
    Shark Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/13/2007
    Location
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Posts
    2,927
    Images
    46
    Be prepare to spend money! It ain't cheap to dive the old bird, and you can't do it by yourself.

    I would LOVE to dive it myself, but I cant justify $400 something for the dives.
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
    Contact Joel Silverstein over at TDL. He's the other operator and probably has more dives on the B29 than anyone else.
    Thanks Rainer, I sent him an email also.
    Dave

  5. #5
    Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/11/2007
    Location
    Studio City, CA, USA
    Posts
    8,410
    Yeah, Joel at TDL is the one to talk to. Just pick up the phone and call the shop.

    I've been drooling over the chance to dive it since they first found that plane. But they want WAY too much money for two dives into murky vis. I'm on a budget these days, and my diving dollars go a lot further with other dive options.

  6. #6
    Barracuda Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/09/2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,757
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
    Yeah, Joel at TDL is the one to talk to. Just pick up the phone and call the shop.

    I've been drooling over the chance to dive it since they first found that plane. But they want WAY too much money for two dives into murky vis. I'm on a budget these days, and my diving dollars go a lot further with other dive options.

    at least it's two dives on the B29 now.

    first year he did it, it was one dive on the B29 and one dive on another site for $400 bucks.


    Like you said.... WAY too much money for those dives. especially for a "lake dive".

    seeing how both operators (the only two who got permits) charge the same exact thing and pre-announced those prices, seems to me like they got together and "set the price".

  7. #7
    Megalodon
    Join Date
    11/12/2007
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Age
    58
    Posts
    14,155
    Images
    13
    As I recall, since the lake level is so low, it's not a deco/tech dive anymore. Is this still the case?

    I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

  8. #8
    Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/11/2007
    Location
    Studio City, CA, USA
    Posts
    8,410
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_s View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
    Yeah, Joel at TDL is the one to talk to. Just pick up the phone and call the shop.

    I've been drooling over the chance to dive it since they first found that plane. But they want WAY too much money for two dives into murky vis. I'm on a budget these days, and my diving dollars go a lot further with other dive options.
    at least it's two dives on the B29 now.

    first year he did it, it was one dive on the B29 and one dive on another site for $400 bucks.

    Like you said.... WAY too much money for those dives. especially for a "lake dive".

    seeing how both operators (the only two who got permits) charge the same exact thing and pre-announced those prices, seems to me like they got together and "set the price".
    I seem to recall reading something about the price... it's the gov't agency that controls the permits that's responsible for the bulk of the price. All kinds of fees and junk. They pretty much don't have a choice in the matter, it's not greed.

    That said, I have a choice to not partake, although I would if money were no object.

    The water level has fallen enough that it can be done as a rec dive... barely. There's even less point to paying that much for a 5 minute dive, though. Even if Joel is willing to take you as a rec diver (iffy, and not according to the website) it would hardly be worth it. Last I heard it was in 135', and that was some time ago... I'd bet it's under 130' by now, although the website still says 140. Dive The B-29 with Tech Diving Limited!

  9. #9
    I see this as a one time oppurtunuty for myself though. Living 1500 miles away I would spend more than $400 on airline baggage fees and gear rental if I were to fly there. We are planning on renting an RV, so I figured that I can at least stow my gear and bring it along.
    I agree that's a lot of $$$ for a couple of dives, but on the other hand, I would think I could save that much by keeping my wife out of the casino's for the day

  10. #10
    Guppy
    Join Date
    02/09/2009
    Location
    fl
    Posts
    82
    It is at 129' now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Lake Mead dive advice needed
    By mselizann in forum Las Vegas Divers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-24-2009, 19:53
  2. Lake Mead - B29 WWII plane
    By bmp51 in forum Southwest
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-13-2008, 21:27
  3. Diver dies at submerged wreck site in Lake Mead
    By bmp51 in forum Las Vegas Divers
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-06-2008, 10:02
  4. Dive the B29?
    By bmp51 in forum Las Vegas Divers
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-25-2007, 11:29
  5. Lake Mead
    By BrianS. in forum Trips & Travel
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-23-2007, 00:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •