Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How soon is too soon?

Guppy
    It amazes and shocks me how daring some of you are. I can't imagine someone doing solo dives right after their open water certification. I can only imagine how my dive instructor would cringe at the thought. I view diving as a controlled risk situation. Solo diving takes away the saftey net. With 35 dives, I'm just now thinking my skills are getting to the level where I would even entertain the possiblity of solo diving someday in the distant future. But I really don't think, I would ever come to the point of thinking it was worth the added risk. I've been swimming for 35 years and have no problem swimming distances greater than a mile, yet I don't get in a pool if there isn't someone else around. Working at a hospital, I've seen too many people drown.

Guppy
    How about a solo club?
    We could all meet at one location and solo dive together!

TadPole
    I did some self training where my buddy stood by as I cut myself out of some monofilament. From there I ascended from 45' with my "Spare Air". This was done with low-vis (<10'). I remember a diver who did a similar exercise & went into complete panic (good thing the buddy was nearby).

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by divechaplain-sara View Post
    It amazes and shocks me how daring some of you are. I can't imagine someone doing solo dives right after their open water certification. I can only imagine how my dive instructor would cringe at the thought. I view diving as a controlled risk situation.

Not to stir the pot, (but more so to play the devil's advocate ), I did my checkout dives in 3-5ft vis in a lake at the end of summer. After my checkouts, some of my initial dives (5-10) with buddies were in the the same vis range... There's been times when my buddy was 5ft away, and I couldn't see him so in effect, I was diving solo; How does this help me in an emergency? I just feel that if you go into the water with the mindset that a buddy is there to bail you out when it hits the fan, you're in the wrong mindset to begin with. Again, just looking for lively discussion.....!
    It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.- HST

"Diving...is an active, physical form of meditation. It's so silent - you're like a thought."
    Jerry Garcia

Guppy
    Hmmm...I'd have to agree with just about every post here. That's because everyone is different. I know folks with 100s of dives who aren't the least bit interested in Solo diving. Others think they're ready right out of the chute. I do know if you want to be certified as a Solo Diver you have to have 100+ dives...at least that what SDI has determined to be the minimum.

I see that you don't have a bunch of dives under your belt. Personally, I thought I was a pretty darn good diver until I took my first tech class. That class made me feel mortal, understand that I didn't know as much as I thought I did, and realize I had plenty of room for improvement in my skills. Somebody on ScubaBoard has a quote something like "After my first 50 dives I thought I knew it all, by my 100th dive I realized I knew very little." I'm sure I trashed the guy's quote, but that was the gist of it.

Everyone is different. If you're confident in your abilities (all those listed previously in other posts) I would recommend taking some classes, like AOW, Underwater Nav, etc. I know a lot of folks aren't proponents (Put Another Dollar In) of dive courses, but if you choose a good instructor it'll be worth the money.

Do some dives with folks who are experienced. Ask questions and you'll learn a lot.

I won't recommend a time, number of dives, number of courses, etc when you're ready to solo dive. It's your life...it's your decision...you have to make sure you're ready.
    <->-<->-<->-<->-<->-<->-<->-<->-<->
    JohnA

"I would like to be able to admire a manís opinion as I would his dog -- without being expected to take it home with me." ~Frank A. Clark

TadPole
    In addition to the points made above, I think another sign that you are ready for Solo diving is when you realize that having a dive buddy could be more dangerous than diving Solo. Some inexperienced divers panic easily and react inappropriately to a stressful situation putting you in danger if you are their dive buddy. I would rather dive solo than with someone I've just met who seems nervous, has questionable skills, or poorly maintained dive equipment.

As far as training, if you get certified in Adv.Nirox/Deco, or the equivalent, you should be ready
    Last edited by blueblood; 08-30-2007 at 15:04.

now thats an idea i think you have, the solo dive club!!! we all meet and dive alone what a brillant idea. sign me up, but you have to make a cool tee shirt .
    NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THERE YOU ARE
    A GOOD PLACE TO GO http://www.calypsodiversinc.com/

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by blueblood View Post
    I additon to the points made above, I think another sign that you are ready for Solo diving is when you realize that having a dive buddy could be more dangerous than diving Solo. Some inexperienced divers panic easily and react inappropriately to a stressful situation putting you in danger if you are their dive buddy. I would rather dive solo than with someone I've just met who seems nervous, has questionable skills, or poorly maintained dive equipment.
    Man that is THE truth! Thanks for bringing that point forward blueblood! One really bad experience with an insta-buddy will make just about anyone want their Solo Diver card, and is exactly why I have one.
    <->-<->-<->-<->-<->-<->-<->-<->-<->
    JohnA

"I would like to be able to admire a manís opinion as I would his dog -- without being expected to take it home with me." ~Frank A. Clark

that is the truth or you get someone that hasn;t dove in a while and your too busy watching them than enjoying the dive!!!
    NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THERE YOU ARE
    A GOOD PLACE TO GO http://www.calypsodiversinc.com/

Barracuda Founding Member
    the agencies make solo diving seem so taboo... i was recently on a trip though where alot of very experienced divers were solo diving so they could fully enjoy their dive how they wanted too instead of being impeded by having a buddy along.

makes me want to take it up. i'm not paying an agency for a card though

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information